Iodine And Selenium

Other than having them be recommended by a healthcare professional, what would be the reason anyone would want to supplement with iodine and or selenium?

Comments

• To support hormone creation and the thyroid in general. Selenium is an antioxidant as well with immune boosting properties. Iodine detoxes pretty much every cell by pushing out toxic halogens.. and there is a lot more.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• How much iodine (potassium iodide) should I be taking? BP says 1 mg?
  • Yeah i would urge against that if, like most people and myself, you have been iodine deficient your entire life. Start with a micro dose of around 250mcg and double that every month until you get up to the dosage you want.

For selenium, if you are not mycotoxin sensitive I would recommend 2-3 brazil nuts per day, preferably soaked.

Instagram

• I was also wondering about the Iodine recommended dosage.   I just discover it when Dave mentioned about it.   What is the recommended dosage then after you are no longer iodine deficient?  

I assuming then to find out if you are iodine deficient is through bloodwork?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

i got a selenium overdose from brazil nuts...

dave recommends 1mg iodine per day on the supps page

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I take between 24-40mg iodine per day (3-5 drops of lugols iodine) for halide detoxification. There's people taking over 100mg per day for the long term with no measurable adverse side effects.

That being said, I am supporting the detox with some beneficial supplements and not just taking that dose on it's own.

If you drink chlorinated water, my advise is to look further into the benefits of halide detoxification :-)

I can confirm that. I did not feel any side effects from taking too much selenium. We found out via blood test that my selenium level were off the charts..

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• How many brazil nuts were you eating per day?

Instagram

mostly at least one per day. sometimes a lot more sometimes none. I saw them as a tasty snack.

How much to eat:

• Ok that makes a bit more sense.

For everyone addressing Iodine dosages: it seems to be the most oppinionated of any nutrient dosage. I'm sure lots of people do ok on megadoses of iodine. Lots of people also do not. You need to keep this in perspective and take a "do no harm" approach before you start recommending megadosing it. Start out small and then work your way up to a megadose if you want.

Instagram

• edited November 2015

Ok that makes a bit more sense.

For everyone addressing Iodine dosages: it seems to be the most oppinionated of any nutrient dosage. I'm sure lots of people do ok on megadoses of iodine. Lots of people also do not. You need to keep this in perspective and take a "do no harm" approach before you start recommending megadosing it. Start out small and then work your way up to a megadose if you want.

It'll be a long long time before we ever get to the bottom of the Iodine debate, imo. I take 15 mg a day for thyroid with 200 mcg selenium. I found that iodine helps to attenuate my Armour dose, so rather than take 2 grains of armour I can do 1 grain and 15 mg iodine.

I know people doing 100mg+ a day for months, maybe years on end. I don't know; I wouldn't do it. The most I'm comfortable with is 15 mg, but I'd prefer to keep it under 6 mg. No reason for this particular number...there just isn't enough research out to indicate what is a safe amount and what isn't.

I did have an episode 6 months ago where I my thyroid flipped from hypo to hyper in a matter of a few days following 30 mg daily doses of iodine. So, it can induce hyperthyroidism in my experience.

• What makes you guys think you need to take iodine?

Recently listened to this interesting podcast about it: http://drruscio.com/thyroid-iodine-part-1-episode-4/

• s29s29
    edited November 2015

It'll be a long long time before we ever get to the bottom of the Iodine debate, imo. I take 15 mg a day for thyroid with 200 mcg selenium. I found that iodine helps to attenuate my Armour dose, so rather than take 2 grains of armour I can do 1 grain and 15 mg iodine.

I know people doing 100mg+ a day for months, maybe years on end. I don't know; I wouldn't do it. The most I'm comfortable with is 15 mg, but I'd prefer to keep it under 6 mg. No reason for this particular number...there just isn't enough research out to indicate what is a safe amount and what isn't.

I did have an episode 6 months ago where I my thyroid flipped from hypo to hyper in a matter of a few days following 30 mg daily doses of iodine. So, it can induce hyperthyroidism in my experience.

First, taking 100mg of iodine/iodide for years is totally useless. The body contains about 2000mg of iodine in full saturation, so why taking 100mg for years is a waste of money. Most people can saturate their iodine/iodide levels with 50mg for 3 to 6 months, then lower the dose to a maintenaince dose of 6.25mg or 12.5mg (depends on your situation, like if you live in a area where the drinking water is fluorinated or you live near Fukushima).

Second, if someones starts with iodine, begin with a relatively low dosage (6.25mg) and then up the dose slowly to 25 to 50mg, depending on how quick someone is want to detox and saturate iodine levels. If someone goes directly to 50mg, this can indeed induce hyperthyroism symptoms and also burden the body with too much to detox.

Third, always take iodine with 200mcg Selenium, thyroid need both, but Magnesium, Vitamin C, a co-enzymed B-complex and Zinc is also adviced.

"I'm sure lots of people do ok on megadoses of iodine. Lots of people also do not."

Forth, of course they do not. Taking high dosaged iodine/iodode with CAUSE SEVERE detox reactions with most people in the beginning (especially in the first few weeks). Most people are BROMINATED and FLUORINATED, because the toxic exposure of toxic halides is usually in the mg's per day. Fluoride (dental produts, fluorinated water) and bromide (filler in medicines, all kinds of plastics like gadgets and dashboards, pesticides, etc) are everywhere. This is the main cause of cancer in the Western World. Iodine is not only stored in the thyroid, but in all glands, but most people's glands are filled with toxic cancerogenic bromide and fluoride. That's what causing all these breast and prostate cancers these days.

In parts of Japan, their iodine intake is naturally high, they have almost zero breast cancer there. But iodine from natural sources like kelp are almost always contaminatined, so taking inorganic iodine/iodide is the best option.

If someone reacts badly to high dosaged iodine, it's not because of an iodine allergy or that they can't stand high dosaged iodine, it simply the detox reaction of toxic halides that are coming loose. People just don't seem to understand this very simple concept.

• DagothUrDagothUr
    edited November 2015

First, taking 100mg of iodine/iodide for years is totally useless. The body contains about 2000mg of iodine in full saturation, so why taking 100mg for years is a waste of money. Most people can saturate their iodine/iodide levels with 50mg for 3 to 6 months, then lower the dose to a maintenaince dose of 6.25mg or 12.5mg (depends on your situation, like if you live in a area where the drinking water is fluorinated or you live near Fukushima).

Second, if someones starts with iodine, begin with a relatively low dosage (6.25mg) and then up the dose slowly to 25 to 50mg, depending on how quick someone is want to detox and saturate iodine levels. If someone goes directly to 50mg, this can indeed induce hyperthyroism symptoms and also burden the body with too much to detox.

Third, always take iodine with 200mcg Selenium, thyroid need both, but Magnesium, Vitamin C, a co-enzymed B-complex and Zinc is also adviced.

"I'm sure lots of people do ok on megadoses of iodine. Lots of people also do not."

Forth, of course they do not. Taking high dosaged iodine/iodode with CAUSE SEVERE detox reactions with most people in the beginning (especially in the first few weeks). Most people are BROMINATED and FLUORINATED, because the toxic exposure of toxic halides is usually in the mg's per day. Fluoride (dental produts, fluorinated water) and bromide (filler in medicines, all kinds of plastics like gadgets and dashboards, pesticides, etc) are everywhere. This is the main cause of cancer in the Western World. Iodine is not only stored in the thyroid, but in all glands, but most people's glands are filled with toxic cancerogenic bromide and fluoride. That's what causing all these breast and prostate cancers these days.

In parts of Japan, their iodine intake is naturally high, they have almost zero breast cancer there. But iodine from natural sources like kelp are almost always contaminatined, so taking inorganic iodine/iodide is the best option.

If someone reacts badly to high dosaged iodine, it's not because of an iodine allergy or that they can't stand high dosaged iodine, it simply the detox reaction of toxic halides that are coming loose. People just don't seem to understand this very simple concept.

Pfff...ok, I know this is generalized statistics, but...

http://www.who.int/cancer/country-profiles/jpn_en.pdf?ua=1

...breast cancer is still number one for females in Japan. 

So I don´t know where did you find that data regarding lower cancer rates.

Also, you seem to be quite biased in terms of recommending such high doses of iodine, considering there are A LOT of people, for whom such an approach just doesn't work...me included. For almost a year I slowly upped my iodine dose from 300mcg to 12mg and in the same time did blood testing. I was taking all the f***ing vitamins in the world...or at least those that Asprey recommended, including the 200mcg selenium. Even without iodine my TSH is 4-5 e.g not quite right. No antibodies, inconclusive ultrasound. With the iodine it went up to 8-9. After I went back to 300mcg...I went hyper and needed thyrostatic treatment.

I understand people having different opinions on different subjects.

But saying that "NO NO, its not the iodine, you just need X amount of selenium/other vitamins and its the other halogens that are making you sick" is...just retarded.

BTW: http://drruscio.com/thyroid-iodine-part-1-episode-4/

Good discussion in my opinion. I won´t cherry pick phrases, but they did discuss the fact, that excessive iodine intake MAY contribute to hypothyroidism.

• s29s29
    edited November 2015

Pfff...ok, I know this is generalized statistics, but...

http://www.who.int/cancer/country-profiles/jpn_en.pdf?ua=1

...breast cancer is still number one for females in Japan. 

So I don´t know where did you find that data regarding lower cancer rates.

Also, you seem to be quite biased in terms of recommending such high doses of iodine, considering there are A LOT of people, for whom such an approach just doesn't work...me included. For almost a year I slowly upped my iodine dose from 300mcg to 12mg and in the same time did blood testing. I was taking all the f***ing vitamins in the world...or at least those that Asprey recommended, including the 200mcg selenium. Even without iodine my TSH is 4-5 e.g not quite right. No antibodies, inconclusive ultrasound. With the iodine it went up to 8-9. After I went back to 300mcg...I went hyper and needed thyrostatic treatment.

I understand people having different opinions on different subjects.

But saying that "NO NO, its not the iodine, you just need X amount of selenium/other vitamins and its the other halogens that are making you sick" is...just retarded.

BTW: http://drruscio.com/thyroid-iodine-part-1-episode-4/

Good discussion in my opinion. I won´t cherry pick phrases, but they did discuss the fact, that excessive iodine intake MAY contribute to hypothyroidism.

"A protective effect of iodine against breast cancer has been suggested on the basis of the observation that Japanese women who consume iodine-rich seaweed have a relatively low rate of breast cancer.[24][25] Iodine is known to induce apoptosis in breast cancer cells.[26]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_in_biology#Iodine_and_cancer_risk

Iodine works both ways: it's anti-cancer itself and it helps detoxing cancerogenic substances. This can all be confirmed by many urine samples.

"But saying that "NO NO, its not the iodine, you just need X amount of selenium/other vitamins and its the other halogens that are making you sick" is...just retarded."

fuoride_vs_lead2.gif

fluoride_toxic_carcinogenic_rat_poison_n

Yes, very retarted.

"The United States Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is 150 micrograms per day (μg/day) for both men and women, with a Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults is 1,100 μg/day (1.1 mg/day).[13]"

"The maximum safe daily consumption of fluoride is 10 mg for an adult."

I wonder why the UL for iodine is 1,1mg and the neurotoxic fluoride is 10mg.

"Good discussion in my opinion. I won´t cherry pick phrases, but they did discuss the fact, that excessive iodine intake MAY contribute to hypothyroidism."

Facts by who, sponsered by the Bilderberg Group? Most iodine-researchpapers are incompetent. There's a TRILLION-dollar industry going on, because of iodine-defiencies. Regular doctors DON'T want to understand this. This is simlpy against their interests.

fluoride_side_effects.jpg

quote-people-readily-believe-what-they-w

For most people high dosaged iodine works, but you might be an exception. That can be.

By far, most people noticed increased energy/metabolism and mental sharpness after the first detox period.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimox-Iodoral-Potency-Potassium-Supplement/dp/B000X843VG/

Customer Reviews 934

4.5 out of 5 stars