Are The Applegate Organic Grass-Fed Hot Dogs Carcinogenic?

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
edited November 2015 in The Bulletproof Diet

I eat these things a good amount, because they're 100% grass-fed/organic and never give me any bad symptoms, regardless of my delicate constitution and massive amounts of food sensitivities. Just wanted to make sure that these guys don't fall into the classification of "carcinogen type 1" that the WHO gives processed meats.

Also, I have heard most processed meats have a bit of extra formaldehyde (used in sausage to help congeal/crisp/form the skins; hot dogs also have a skin, so they're technically a sausage). Does anyone know if Applegate has any of these negative qualities? I recommend these on my blog, and I don't want to give bad info by doing so.

If I'm not mistaken, sausage, bacon, and hot dogs of good sourcing should be alright if they're uncured, avoiding polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and n-nitroso-compounds, correct?

Thanks!

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

You would have to avoid formaldehyde because of your genes for most people it would be fine.

The WHO study was also confirmed as being BS by multiple sources on the Internet and threads on this forum Rob, do not fret.

I would be more worried about vast amounts of acrylamide ingestion (fried foods [mainly carbohydrates]) then I ever would from ingesting charred meat especially if you marinated it for example in rosemary.

I wouldn't recommend Smithfield and instead I would recommend Applegate or local but for each their own, you are not giving out bad information. Do not worry.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Teton Waters makes excellent grass-fed beef meatables!

logo.png

http://www.tetonwatersranch.com/

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
    edited November 2015

You would have to avoid formaldehyde because of your genes for most people it would be fine.

The WHO study was also confirmed as being BS by multiple sources on the Internet and threads on this forum Rob, do not fret.

I would be more worried about vast amounts of acrylamide ingestion (fried foods [mainly carbohydrates]) then I ever would from ingesting charred meat especially if you marinated it for example in rosemary.

I wouldn't recommend Smithfield and instead I would recommend Applegate or local but for each their own, you are not giving out bad information. Do not worry.

Oops, duh, I meant Applegate. That's what I eat, lol. All the local choices have sugar added in my neck of the woods. Ironic, no?

Oh, and were you saying I should avoid hot dogs because of formaldehyde? Do you think Applegate uses it or no?

Oops, duh, I meant Applegate. That's what I eat, lol. All the local choices have sugar added in my neck of the woods. Ironic, no?

Oh, and were you saying I should avoid hot dogs because of formaldehyde? Do you think Applegate uses it or no?

I do not know if they do, but if they do yeah you should avoid it. Contact them, see what they say.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

I do not know if they do, but if they do yeah you should avoid it. Contact them, see what they say.

Done. Now waiting for an answer.

Okay, so they say they're not using it at all. Should be good. I must say, though, John, the way you made sure to say "for most people" formaldehyde would be fine kind of rubs me the wrong way. First of all, by "most people," you mean the 76% who can detox it regularly. That's not a vast majority. 1 in 4 people can't detox mold toxins and formaldehyde, and that's pretty significant. Also, most people who can't probably don't know they can't. Let's also not forget about those with leaky gut who might readily allow it into their bloodstream. This number gets higher and higher.

My aunt and uncle's house I discovered has a severe formaldehyde problem after some repairs they did in their basement. I can't even stand to go in their house. On the other hand, everyone in that house living among the formaldehyde has sleep apnea, and my Uncle and Aunt have a vast array of health problems, and some of them are extremely recent. When I stayed at their house thinking it was a good alternative to my then-moldy house, I recall my Uncle showing me the 30 pills he "has to take to stay alive." This was a new development since the basement of their house (he said he had to double the amount of pills he takes recently and doesn't know why his health is tanking). He also has a router blasting day and night in his bedroom. It's a no-brainer to me what's causing his chronic illness, and yet these people act like I'm the sick one. 

Humans naturally have about 2.12-3.18μg of formaldehyde per ml of blood, and it is used by your body in forming DNA and amino acids. The average apple contains 428.4-1,516.4μg of formaldehyde. What would the dosage from a single hot dog be if it did contain formaldehyde?

A decent write up with plenty of citations concerning formaldehyde:

http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2012/04/demystifying-vaccine-ingredients.html

• In what world is 76% not a vast majority?

edited November 2015

Humans naturally have about 2.12-3.18μg of formaldehyde per ml of blood, and it is used by your body in forming DNA and amino acids. The average apple contains 428.4-1,516.4μg of formaldehyde. What would the dosage from a single hot dog be if it did contain formaldehyde?

In what world is 76% not a vast majority?

Both are correct. You can detoxify aldehydes Rob, if you could not you would have been dead by now. You cannot do it as well as someone with two working copies ALDH2 and you have been overwhelmed by a toxic environment for awhile, but there was a time you were in good health. So yeah the people without two working copies of ALDH2 might have issues with it if they are overwhelmed. In addition, that 1 and 4 number is a statistic only touted by Shoemaker and people who have studied under him, we do not know how accurate it truly is. Because again the body has alternate metabolic pathways or these people would have died from a metabolic disorder years ago.

Most people again would be able to handle the minute doses of aldehydes that would have used to cure the meat. Is it good additive for us to consume? No, it would be better if it was left out of course. Is it the worse thing in the world, probably not.

You are not thinking about all of the formaldehyde you are coming into contact with by sitting on furniture, riding in a car, etc. All of this is more than you would ever consume in a hot dog.

Trust me the anxiety is doing you no good. You can analyze everything forever and it will drive you mad. Trust me I KNOW.

You are taking it too personally, like I do for the gut microbiome.

No idea, but it would be good to know for relativity's sake. Formaldehyde in excess is very dangerous. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this.

For people like me, who genetically have a deficiency of formaldehyde dehydrogenase, the enzyme that breaks it down, it can be very very bad. People with multiple chemical sensitivity almost all experience it. So really, relativity isn't very relative unless you include this subset of susceptible individuals.

I can tell you that I smell formaldehyde in most manufactured products. It has a very sweet and sickening odor to me. If I've been exposed, I start to smell formaldehyde much stronger where it is and even in things that have tiny amounts of it. If I stay in a place too long that has more than the amount in ambient outdoor air, I start to get numbness of my body parts when I lean on things, my breathing often becomes progressively shallow, my muscles will sometimes get progressively fatigued, and I usually have to go poop. Strangely, the stools are always perfectly formed, almost like it's killing only my good bacteria (just a theory). Weird.

When I fall asleep in a place that has too much formaldehyde, I usually wake up a few times with my heart racing (and of course have to poop). This could happen several times in one night. Eventually, if I stay, I will start to semi-hallucinate or what I call "dream while I'm awake." Sometimes I get a song or scene from a movie stuck in my head and it plays over and over again. It is absolutely horrifying.

Both of these presentations are completely predictable and repeatable. I usually figure out what the source is, thank God, and I do everything in my power to get out of the area and start to sequester clothing that was exposed. It's a really annoying problem.

I know it's comforting to think "oh formaldehyde is in everything..." or "mold is everywhere," but these things are serious problems for a lot of people, and especially children and senior citizens. They shouldn't be dismissed so readily just because formaldehyde exists in the bloodstream. It is a known and potent neurotoxin we're talking about. I know, because I've hallucinated on it. It also seems to dull the senses. My body recognizes it, so I rarely get to where it starts to numb my senses, but the night I did spend the whole night in a house with an uncomfortably high level, I started to see why they put it out there. I believe an adequate amount of formaldehyde pumped into people will sufficiently dull the senses and take away any resolve they might have to change things. I've also never felt so terrified and helpless than from a high dose.

Dang, I really wish I could change the name of this thread. I meant Applegate hot dogs, lol. 

I haven't dismissed anything, and neither has John Brisson. I gave you the information on the average formaldehyde content in your blood and the average content in an apple, and asked you what the content of an average hot dog would be. With this information it would be possible to gauge the exposure risk from a hot dog vs an apple and make an assessment on whether or not you really need to worry about the dogs.

Though it is easy enough to just purchase beef frankfurters that are uncured if it is that much of an issue.

My post that you quoted did not dismiss anything at all. 

edited November 2015

Sounded dismissive that's all. You may not have been dismissing anything.

Well, that's what I was trying to find out. I guess if they're uncured they use no formaldehyde? That's the key point of f. introduction I guess. The "curing" process. Sorry, I should've known that or looked it up I guess. But I had read something about people using f. to render sausage casings. Frankfurter is a sausage, so I wondered.

• Dang, I really wish I could change the name of this thread. I meant Applegate hot dogs, lol. 

If you edit the first post, and click "use full editor," it will let you change the thread title. At least on desktop. 

• I meant to question the whole organic/pasture raised hot dogs from smithfield. Knew they were quite the opposite. Still though, they produce some tasty pork products, especially tenderloins.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

If you edit the first post, and click "use full editor," it will let you change the thread title. At least on desktop. 

Done. Thanks!