Cheat Days Are Necessary?

I have been very low carb for about 2 years now. To the point where even if I do carb up it's 30g and after a weight training session. I feel like my body fat has gotten more than I want it to be. I've lowered the fat intake I have been having in hopes that my bodyfat% will go down but for a few weeks it's just not doing it. Without getting into specific numbers I can say that I have been sub 10% bodyfat for about 2 years but lately I am likely over that mark. I am willing to try something different but don't like the idea of carbing up excessively but could it be that this is what is wrong? Perhaps I am so low carb adjusted that low carb is just not enough to cut it anymore? I can post numbers if it helps but really nothing has changed in a few years save less fat than before in the last few weeks.

Comments

• Why so extreme on the low carb? And why so extreme on the bodyfat tracking? Are you a model or a competitive body builder or something? neither of those things seem healthy or functional for long term for an active person.
  • HGRHGR
    edited November 2015

I apply the 20/80 rule to my ketogenic/LCHF diet. That means: friday night and saturday, I cheat. That doesn't mean I go insane on McDonalds, Ben & Jerry's, KFC etc. But I abandon my restrictions on processed meat, starchy foods and alcohol. A bit of cheating keeps my diet achievable.

• I don't get the whole "cheat" mentality. That implies that there is a game being played with rules that have been imposed on you. There is no cheating, just breaking your own rules that you impose on yourself, which means they aren't really rules and it isn't really cheating. Unless you really have multiple personality disorder or something.
  • Up until lately it's been achievable and sustainable. At this point it's just trying to maintain what I've had for the last few years. Yeah, not sure I'd call it a cheat day so much as not a serious carb up meal.

• I don't think "cheat day" is the right way to describe it.  It's more like a cyclical ketogenic diet, since you're familiar with low carbing.

Basically if you want to carb up you should still be eating good, healthy, natural carbs if you want to keep progressing.

• I don't know how you can have a social life if you don't utilize the 80/20 rule. The only thing I never make exceptions on is gluten.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I don't know how you can have a social life if you don't utilize the 80/20 rule. The only thing I never make exceptions on is gluten.

I guess everyone's social life is different. It's all about priorities.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    what is the reason behind being so low carb? I remember you wrote how much muscle you lost during a deload week. May be related to low carbing

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• That doesn't mean I go insane on...Ben & Jerry's...

Cherry Garcia is so good.
  • I am very low carb in order to be in ketosis and get all the benefits from such. It's become a case of 'it ain't broke so don't fix it'. I have been able to maintain sub 10% body fat for years now. I have even managed to put on muscle while maintaining this body fat, it's just a delicate balance.

• I don't eat a ton of carbs, but people have had low body fat on a normal to high carb diet for centuries, the difference is they didn't used to sit around all day

• I get that the hype around ketosis is pretty exciting, but it seems like the main benefits to ketosis are for people who are really sick or maybe long distance low intensity endurance athletes. There's also the 2-3x a year 5-day water fasts that get you into a therapeutic state of ketosis if you are looking for disease prevention. But other than that, I don't see why a young, healthy, athletic person would strive to stay in long term ketosis. I'd also question the idea of obsessing over body fat percentages unless you're trying to fix a health issue or be on magazine covers.

• I don't know how you can have a social life if you don't utilize the 80/20 rule. The only thing I never make exceptions on is gluten.

Same here, when I cheat the only carbs I accept are from rice and potatoes. Gluten is a no go, always. 

• HGRHGR
    edited November 2015

I guess everyone's social life is different. It's all about priorities.

My social life is a lot of eating at restaurants. Replacing the carbs by extra meat is too expensive, and replacing carbs with extra vegetables is not fulfilling (most of the time it is just lettuce), so therefore I cheat in the weekends. :P But I skip Italian and Mexican restaurants.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

My social life is a lot of eating at restaurants. Replacing the carbs by extra meat is too expensive, and replacing carbs with extra vegetables is not fulfilling (most of the time it is just lettuce), so therefore I cheat in the weekends. :P But I skip Italian and Mexican restaurants.

For me about twice a week. I'm not gonna avoid that, just order the best choice. Don't see it as cheating at all.

• For me about twice a week. I'm not gonna avoid that, just order the best choice. Don't see it as cheating at all.

I like Asian, fish and Arabian restaurants, so I think I am safe. (Except from MSG and vegetable oils cooked with.)

• I don't call it a cheat day either... i push the needle towards clean eating and ketosis as much as i can.  70% fats, 20% proteins and 5% carbs... I've run my macros and can sustain ketosis without any real issues.  I do on occasion blow it up BUT i always thought from listening to Dave and Nora that the main reason was to repopulate mucus linings.