Acute Pancreatitis

Hey all,

Over the weekend I wound up in the ER because of acute pancreatitis. This had never happened before but MAN was it painful.

The docs were stumped because I've never had gall stones and I haven't had a drink in 6 years (two of the most common causes of pancreatitis). 29, lift 3-4x per week, was eating approx 135g protein 100g carbs and the rest fat per day before this happened. Right now my diet consists of diluted coconut water and chicken broth.

I have two questions:

Is possible that eating a high fat diet caused this episode?

What would you suggest eating/not eating post-pancreatitis? Anything specific?

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• No love for my pancreas?
  • 1) High fat diet could have caused it. Alcohol is one potential cause, but not the only one. There are other causes as well, like gallstones, familial high blood triglycerides and structural/developmental factors (pancreas divisum for instance).

2) Too late to say this, but usually once fasts for a few days after the onset of acute pancreatitis. But I guess bone/chicken broth is fine. You may want to take some digestive enzymes once you transition to solid foods (however this one is pure speculation on my behalf). And you most likely shouldn't go crazy with the fats.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hey all,

Over the weekend I wound up in the ER because of acute pancreatitis. This had never happened before but MAN was it painful.

The docs were stumped because I've never had gall stones and I haven't had a drink in 6 years (two of the most common causes of pancreatitis). 29, lift 3-4x per week, was eating approx 135g protein 100g carbs and the rest fat per day before this happened. Right now my diet consists of diluted coconut water and chicken broth.

I have two questions:

Is possible that eating a high fat diet caused this episode?

What would you suggest eating/not eating post-pancreatitis? Anything specific?

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

I think any amount of fructose would be more of the cause. Also, I have experienced pancreatic pain from eating walnuts, which means the omega6 fats were more of the problems. I recommend you focus on your grass-fed meats, your wild-caught fish, but not after starting with a good dose of krill oil to counteract the omega 6 fats you're overdosing on (maybe). Also, cut out the coconut water. Fructose is very hard on your pancreas. 

Let me know what happens, but I'm pretty sure the krill oil will take care of it.

Hope it works!

-Rob

• @drumtrone Hey Matt, any updates? Its ben 2 years.
    I have similar story. My lipase, amylase levels are pretty high. Will get my ecography scan for gallstones in a week. So i'm looking for information online.
    The doctors' knowledge has not been updated with the latest diets, intermittent fasting routines, etc.