Ketosis And Genetics, The Ppar-A Genes, Or "how I Accellerated My Weight Loss 4X"

Eight weeks ago I began my weight-loss quest, using the BP Diet and BP Coffee.  

Two weeks ago I discovered a cool bio-hack which accellerated my weight loss 4x.

See the graph of results are here:

Comments

• Eight weeks ago I began my weight-loss quest, using the BP Diet and BP Coffee.  

Two weeks ago I discovered a cool bio-hack which accellerated my weight loss 4x.

See the graph of results are here:

attachicon.gifJW_ResponseToCLA,TTA,Sesamin.png

http://i.imgur.com/UJcZCj0.png

I'm hoping to find others with similar genetics who are willing to reproduce this bio-hack.

In my first week I experienced that the BP butter coffee was amazing at killing my appetite.  Since I wasn't really particularly hungry until evening, I decided to just do a long daily intermittent fast until 7pm or 8pm.  It easily killed my appetite for over 9 hours.

But after doing this for about 6 weeks, I was disappointed in my progress, only roughly 0.5 pounds per week.  Progress, yes, but I hoped for more since I was only eating on meal per day.

Around the same time I got my 23andme genetic results.  I'm very curious, so I began studying all kinds of things about my genome, not only for weight loss.  Really the genetic data is so vast you could study forever.  I'm convinced that there will be lots of amazing, useful, and personally actionable discoveries from our genomes as time marches on.  Furthermore, unlike supplements, science is relatively united in this pursuit.  Even more, there's a lot of room for citizen science to make discoveries, especially if we organize ourselves on the net.

During my obsessive study, I learned about the PPAR-Alpha gene.  I read the following on a blog, which totally gave me pause:

I have this G allele (click the above link for more info).  Only 2% of the population carries this mutation.  It's almost exclusively correlated with European ancestry, with 5% of Europeans having it, and about 0% of non-Europeans.

If you did 23andme, you can find your genetype here:

https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/snp/?snp_name=rs1800206

The PPAR-Alpha gene is active in the liver and is responsible for enabling the liver to make ketones.  On a low-carb diet, I think ketones are mostly produced directly in the liver, although they also get produced in fat and muscle cells.

Mice with PPARA knockout genes (the genes are crippled), exhibit an "impaired fasting response", and do not produce ketones.  Instead, they go hypoglycemic.  They fail to produce ketones even during starvation.

The G mutation shouldn't be as severe as PPARA knockout, but it does result in a lower activity of PPARA.

But, I found that there are supplements which stimulate PPARA:  TTA, CLA (in grassfed butter, for instance), and Sesamin.  All of these are available on Amazon.  TTA seems to be the most potent (I have data if you're curious).

I started taking these supplements 2 weeks ago, and have since increased my weight loss from 0.5 lb per week to over 2 lb per week.

Very interesting. I'm CG as well (100% eastern European). However, I don't struggle with producing ketones in the slightest. When I fast my BG regularly dips to the mid 50s without experiencing hypoglycaemia. I don't bother measuring blood ketones anymore but when I did they were always at least 1 mmol/L non-fasting and around 5 mmol/L when fasting.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• In my first week I experienced that the BP butter coffee was amazing at killing my appetite.  Since I wasn't really particularly hungry until evening, I decided to just do a long daily intermittent fast until 7pm or 8pm.  It easily killed my appetite for over 9 hours.

Your whole post is interesting, cool findings. I also find BPIF really knocks out my appetite, and tend to lose fat fairly slowly. But no 23andMe data yet. 

But... if all your analysis is correct, why would someone who doesn't produce ketones from fat efficiently have their appetite suppressed so effectively during BPIF? It's ketones that suppress hunger hormones on BPIF, not low blood sugar. If we do a thought experiment, wouldn't you expect that if you took someone with the G allele who replaced breakfast with butter coffee to be especially hungry, rather than especially satiated? Wouldn't they experience symptoms of hypoglycemia? 

• Phew, I've got CC. Also I didn't realize you could link to specific parts of your raw data on 23andme, is that new? Stepping up their game now that they are FDA approved?

So if you fast, and can't produce ketones, what happens? Major energy crash?

• Very interesting. I'm CG as well (100% eastern European). However, I don't struggle with producing ketones in the slightest. When I fast my BG regularly dips to the mid 50s without experiencing hypoglycaemia. I don't bother measuring blood ketones anymore but when I did they were always at least 1 mmol/L non-fasting and around 5 mmol/L when fasting.

I do get into ketosis.  But I have a strange pattern with it.  In the mornings, after my overnight fast, I'm usually out of ketosis somehow.  It's weird to me.  Later in the day I get into ketosis, which builds until I go to sleep.

I'm not particularly feeling hypoglycaemia, I think, but I do get tired midday, which was not like my normal pre-diet state.

I know there's the dawn-effect where cortisol is released before waking up (contributes to waking up actually).  Cortisol is generally a morning hormone after all.  Cortisol stimulates the liver to dump glucose into the blood.  From my diet, I expect that there wouldn't be much glucose available to dump.  Maybe I'm inadvertantly doing gluconeogenisis (converting protein to glucose).  Does Cortisol kick gluconeogenisis?  I hope not, since it would mean I'm burning muscle instead of fat.

Anyways, that's my pattern.  It's like that almost every day, but some days I wake up in ketosis.  I'm not really eating much carbs in the evening.  Maybe I should consume MCT oil in the evenings?

It also makes me think that my ketosis measurements are somehow false, like just stimulated by my morning caprylic acid (like brain-octane).

Anyways, HealthByDiet, you say you're CG also?  Are you trying to lose weight?  If so, was it slow?

• Your whole post is interesting, cool findings. I also find BPIF really knocks out my appetite, and tend to lose fat fairly slowly. But no 23andMe data yet. 

But... if all your analysis is correct, why would someone who doesn't produce ketones from fat efficiently have their appetite suppressed so effectively during BPIF? It's ketones that suppress hunger hormones on BPIF, not low blood sugar. If we do a thought experiment, wouldn't you expect that if you took someone with the G allele who replaced breakfast with butter coffee to be especially hungry, rather than especially satiated? Wouldn't they experience symptoms of hypoglycemia? 

My feeling is that hunger is only loosely connected with energy needs.  There's plenty of situations of people being more hungry than their needs, or less hungry than their needs.

I think the BP Coffee is kicking hunger with CCK in the gut.  CCK is a satiation hormone stimulated by fats in the gut.  I really think this is the biggest benefit of morning fat consumption.

It's interesting that if you Google "food satiety index", you'll find potatoes as the highest rated for satiety.  But the whole index is stupid since it grades satiety at 2 hours post-meal.  Two-hour-satiety is not very valuable, I think, and is almost mostly measuring insulin response (insulin is also a hunger-supressing hormone).  Although insulin satiates hunger for a while, by driving glucose lower, it'll cause a hunger bounce 4 or 5 hours later.  Someone should develop a "6 hour food satiation index", since that would be more helpful, and I'm sure potatoes would not come up on top.  Probably fats would come up on top.

I'm not sure where my body is getting its blood sugar.  I eat very low carb, so I worry it's getting the blood-sugar from gluconeogenesis of protein.

About hunger in general...  It's my feeling that hunger has different "colors", if you will.  There is not only "more hungry" and "less hungry", but also different kinds of hunger.  I feel that before the BP-diet, my regular hunger was more like "cravings", which are distinct from "gut hunger".  Now, in the evening, I feel hungry, but not particularly with cravings.  I think gut-hunger just motivates you for food, without also motivating you towards specific (often bad) foods.  There are probably other "colors" of hunger.  

If you think about it, there are multiple independent hunger hormones:  

Fat-Cell-Hunger-Hormones:  Leptin, Insulin, Adiponectin

Gut-Hunger-Hormones:  CCK, Grehlin, PYY, GLP

Since they're effecting hunger (or satiety), it follows that they're driving our brain's motivations, so I expect they should be associated with particular feelings/sensations.  I think it would be cool to learn how to discriminate those feelings and recognize the particular causes of whatever you're feeling at the moment.

• Phew, I've got CC. Also I didn't realize you could link to specific parts of your raw data on 23andme, is that new? Stepping up their game now that they are FDA approved?

So if you fast, and can't produce ketones, what happens? Major energy crash?

I would say I get a minor energy crash.  Also, I should clarify that I don't think the mutation results in totally "can't produce ketones".  I measure myself and I'm in ketosis about half of each day.  Instead, it just makes me much less efficient in producing ketones in the liver.  Fat and muscle cells can still do it, since they use PPAR-G.  But I think liver ketones are where a lot of benefit of ketosis generally comes from.

I have the locked-down 23andme, since I did it after the FDA mostly shut them down.  But even locked down, you could get the raw data or do searches for specific SNPs.  The FDA only shut them down relative to describing the meaning of the genes.  But plenty of other sites will translate things for you.  I know the FDA recently let them open up again, but I don't think that's into effect yet for the locked customers.  They say it's coming.

• Yeah I've used promothease but didn't realize 23andme had that convenient search tool for your raw data. I'm looking forward to seeing what new info comes from the new fda approval, it'd be cool if they gave a bigger picture like promethease without making it too dry.
  • Interesting! I got the G allele too. When I got into the BP lifestyle, primarily intermittent fasting, I first got into ketosis and lowered blood glucose and lost weight quite easily (the weight loss not something that had been my particular intention. would have much preferred to build more muscle but c'est la vie). But over the last months even though I'm sticking to the same lifestyle, I can hardly get into ketosis at all, my blood glucose is a bit higher and I've been gaining weight, now back at about my original weight.

• I am G allele as well. Since testing a Keto style lifestyle I have actually gained weight. I went on this diet to repair my hormones from Hypothalmic Amenorrhea since FAT is what helps your hormones. However, I am going to slow down on the fat intake from saturated fats". Use a small amount of the BP MCT Oil in a protein Shake and see how that goes. I do better on a low car, higher protein diet but not super high in fat it seems. I do want to learn more about this gene type. I also wonder if there are genes that I can bio hack to help with my hormonal imbalance.