Weight Gain And Lost Period

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone can help me with my problem....I started the BP lifestyle about 2 months ago, lost 4 lbs in the first week but gained it all back plus some extra:-( I have also lost my period completely...I follow the protocol with BP tea in the morning, veggies and eggs for lunch and veggies and grass fed beef/lamb for dinner. I eat some dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds for an occasional snack. I do the carb re-feed once a week with some rice and sweet potatoes. I have been trying so hard and feel so disappointed:-(( Thank you for all your comments and help!

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr
    edited November 2015

1) Most likely too low carb most days + not nearly enough on your refeed day (and not nearly enough to cover for the ultra low carb week) = you lost glycogen and water weight (there´s your 4 pounds) + anecdotal evidence shows very low carb is not optimal for females in terms of the monthly cycle (you may be one of them).

2) If you have dieted before for a prolonged period of time, your metabolism may be somewhat at a suboptimal level and doing low carb + low calories (I assume on the basis of how you meals look like) only exacerbates the problem. Them once again could in part be responsible for loss of your period.

3) The weight gain, however could be attributed to: a) fluctuations due to monthly cycle 2) you dieted before, slowed down your metabolism, went low carb and made matters worse and on top of that added a bunch of dietary fat, that your body can´t handle at your current state so it just stores it as body fat. The weight loss initially was most likely water weight.

Please note these are assumptions made on the basis of information you provided.

• Thank you very much DagothUr....so do you think I should do the re-feed more often? What are your suggestions to get my body to burn the stored fat? I am not obese but have been struggling with these extra 10 pounds around my middle for as long as I remember. Even at my skinniest I had the pooch and now I just feel it is slowly getting worse and worse. Other than this I have been feeling fantastic....so I don't want to stop. Or do you think this way of eating is not good for me? Should I try the rapid weight loss protocol? Or will I only make it worse?

• DagothUrDagothUr
    edited November 2015

Thank you very much DagothUr....so do you think I should do the re-feed more often? What are your suggestions to get my body to burn the stored fat? I am not obese but have been struggling with these extra 10 pounds around my middle for as long as I remember. Even at my skinniest I had the pooch and now I just feel it is slowly getting worse and worse. Other than this I have been feeling fantastic....so I don't want to stop. Or do you think this way of eating is not good for me? Should I try the rapid weight loss protocol? Or will I only make it worse?

1) Do you need to refeed more often? It depends. Refeeds from my understanding should have vast amounts of carbs in them e.g if you would normally eat 100g of carb a day without a refeed and then went ultra low carb (30g or lower) with 1 refeed per week, then on your refeed day you would have to consume around 600 - 700g. If you're not doing anything remotely similar to this and only eat some "some rice and sweet potatoes" are just being ultra low carb most of the time and very low carb one day of the week. At some point your glycogen gets depleted, you´re performance suffers and on top of that you MAY start having problems with your cycle. So either make sure your´re doing a proper refeed or replace some fat with carbs and have them every day. You can try doing two smaller refeeds if you can´t get that much carbs in one day, so it would look like 300+300 or 400+400. And do expect to gain WATER weight the next day after a refeed.

2) This will most likely sound contrary to Asprey´s mentality, but a) to burn body fat, you must be in a calorie deficit regardless of your diets macronutrient composition e.g eating ad libidum amount of fat, some carbs and protein will not get you lean b ) if you have attempted loosing weight for more then 3-4 months, your body adapts and loosing weight becomes harder (not impossible) e.g those last 10 pounds you´re trying to loose. This ALSO may effect your monthly cycle (both ultra low carb with or without proper refeeds and cronic calorie restriction can do that). So, if this applies to you, you should reverse diet e.g increase your calories from where you are now by 100kcal every week until you reach your maintenance calories, eat at maintenance for a few week (or even a month) and then you can again attempt to loose those last 10 pounds. Reverse dieting should be slow and may take up to 2-3 months. Once reason why you MAY HAVE (speculation on my behalf) gained weight on top of that water weight loss is that you increased calories too abruptly by going BP and eating all that healthy fat and your metabolism wasn't ready for that. So, have you dieted before and if "yes", then how long?

3) And of course all of this is of no value if you don´t track your food intake and calorie needs in one way or another. Some people here don´t track shit and have good results, perhaps they have excellent auto-regulation mechanisms. I suck at auto-regulation, so I track my food and activity levels daily. You way want to start doing it to see predictable results. One very knowledgeable person on this forum created a thread where one such option of tracking food intake can be found. You can check it out: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2156-bulletproofing-the-athlete-a-fully-customizable-template-for-tracking-and-changing-food-intake-based-on-changing-goals/

4) You don´t have to stop e.g eat food from the BP diet template, just customize it to fit your goals e.g more voluminous BP refeeds, or more frequent, or more BP carbs and less BP fats + track you food and see of you´re under-eating or overeating.

5) Rapid weight loss protocol - waste of time and muscle mass in my opinion (unless you´re super fat and super desperate). I would suggest eating food and loosing real weight slowly and not just manipulating water weight, maybe loosing some fat, a lot of muscle (ok, those BCAA´s could have some protective effects in terms of lean body mass, but I´m not convinced) and literally just drinking your calories. Not to mention that any physical activity except walking and super slow bicycle riding goes out the window. Also, in my opinion body fat that is lost rapidly is also regained rapidly, unless you are very strict or you´ll be doing a reverse diet cycle after the RFLP.

6) You can track your food for a week (refeed included) and post it here with your stats (weight, height, age and your approximate physical activity daily). That would be a good start. And think about all the other things that I wrote and do remember that it´s my opinion only.

• Thank you so much...You are so helpful. I have been tracking with fitness pal. Tried to stay under 1500kcal with no problems ( 70%kcal from fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs), but to be honest I felt deep inside that I am eating just too much fat...on my re-feed days( once a week) I would typically skip the protein all together and ate just veggies and carbs. I have never felt bad/tired/bloated after the re-feeds...more like the opposite. I will try doing the re-feed more often.

My numbers: age 31, height 5'7", weight - had been 130 for the longest time, after switching to paleo gained 10 lbs and now at 144:-( activity level - trying to work out 4 times a week on average, have done the body rock, insanity, jillian michaels....now doing kettle bells 3-4 times a week for about 20 min each.

I will track this upcoming week with 2 re-feed days and post it here, maybe you will be able to point out my mistakes.

Thank you again!!

• Thank you so much...You are so helpful. I have been tracking with fitness pal. Tried to stay under 1500kcal with no problems ( 70%kcal from fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs), but to be honest I felt deep inside that I am eating just too much fat...on my re-feed days( once a week) I would typically skip the protein all together and ate just veggies and carbs. I have never felt bad/tired/bloated after the re-feeds...more like the opposite. I will try doing the re-feed more often.

My numbers: age 31, height 5'7", weight - had been 130 for the longest time, after switching to paleo gained 10 lbs and now at 144:-( activity level - trying to work out 4 times a week on average, have done the body rock, insanity, jillian michaels....now doing kettle bells 3-4 times a week for about 20 min each.

I will track this upcoming week with 2 re-feed days and post it here, maybe you will be able to point out my mistakes.

Thank you again!!

1500kcal is 500kcal less than you should theoretically be eating on a non-training days (even more if you walk during the day) and 600kcal less on training days to maintain weight. If 1500kcal is what you eat every day and your refeed is less than 100g carbs then you´re in a chronic calorie and carb deficit, especially if you´re doing it longer than 3-4 months. This is most likely the reason you´re no longer loosing weight and having problems with your period, not the refeeds.