Genetically Modified Salmon Is A-Ok According To The Fda

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

The FDA says it's safe. Come on, guys. Eat up.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Tagged:

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Finally McDonald's can make cheap salmon burgers. 

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
  • no thank you. I'd rather take my chances with mercury.

• Why does the FDA still exist? To tell us everything's ok?

• What's wrong with it?

Mother nature is all about balance. When we mess with nature, we have no idea what the consequences are. 

From EWG.org:

"The salmon was modified with genes from one fish species to produce extra growth hormone and an “antifreeze” gene from another. The modifications result in a fish that grows larger and twice as fast as non-engineered salmon.

Although the GMO salmon won’t be raised in the United States – the hatchery facilities will be in Canada and Panama – several scientists have expressed concern about what would happen if the salmon escaped into nearby rivers or streams. Because they grow faster, the engineered salmon could become an invasive species that harms wild salmon populations. One recent scientific review found several physical and behavioral differences between the engineered salmon and wild salmon. The review found that GMO salmon eat more food, don’t form groups like their wild counterparts, and have weaker immune function."

• What's wrong with it?

I appreciate you asking this question. Doesn't get asked enough.

As discussed above, the invasive issue. Will it be necessarily invasive? Maybe, maybe not. Bank on probably. It's quite a large risk. We can't even properly control invasives in our own domain (land), let alone lakes and streams. You can forget about the ocean.

One issue that hasn't been mentioned is the issue of growth. I'm no biologist, but I would hazard a guess that messing with the growth stage of an animal is particularly risky. I wouldn't be surprised that the weakened immune function partially represented this.

My stance on GMOs is one of extreme caution and skepticism. Risk vs reward, and humans have a history of taking dumb risks.

• My stance is one of financial support.

I go out of my way to support those who raise animals and grow plants in a manner most in harmony with nature.

GMO is not at all in harmony with nature.

Seeing through the chaotic.

If you guys knew how some of your supplements are made...

• The FDA says it's safe. Come on, guys. Eat up.

Shows you, they hate humans. David Rockefeller, Dick Cheney, evryone with an IQ over 0.2 knows that you'd be wise to stay away from GMO in the long run.

Just eat your fucking posion and die.

Shows you, they hate humans. David Rockefeller, Dick Cheney, evryone with an IQ over 0.2 knows that you'd be wise to stay away from GMO in the long run.

Except for people with diabetes. Insulin is produced by GMO Saccharomyces cerevisiae or E. coli. GMOs allow them to not die.

Oh and except for people who use biofuels, since they are created using GMO bacteria.

Oh and except for people with hemophilia, since synthetic clotting factors are also created using GMO bacteria.

Oh and except for all those millions of people around the world who would die from starvation without drought-resistant crops, since those crops allow developing nations to grow food which would otherwise be impossible.

Oh and except for scientists who utilize lab animals, since they are used to model pathology and perform research studies with a stable genetic template.

Oh and except for all the people who have been spared dengue fever by the release of GMO mosquitoes that cannot carry the disease.

Not to mention cattle, bananas, lettuces, cruciferous vegetables, and dogs. Old school GMOs.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Just eat your fucking posion and die.

4762777_78e3f41a485996fc2ffebc5b9524315a

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• What is the science that shows eatig the gmo salmon have any bad health effects?

The main problem with gmo veggies isn't the simple fact of gmo in the plant but rather that gmo crops are usually modified to be resistant to roundup and so it means that nearly all gmo crops have roundup residue which does have studies that show it is unsafe.

But if they aren't spraying the salmon with roundup what are the bad health effects on humans from consuming gmo salmon?