I'm Lactose Intolerant. Is Whey Ok?

I'm definitely lactose intolerant. In fact, I can't seem to tolerate any dairy. I just recently tried removing butter from my diet and even felt better without that. 

I'm interested in buying Dave's whey protein powder as I've been lifting a lot of weights and could use the extra protein. 

Do people tend to be sensitive to strict whey as well? Is there an easy and cheap way to find out if I can tolerate whey before buying Dave's product?

Thanks.

Comments

• steve001steve001
    edited November 2015

Whey contains lactose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_content_of_foods

If you can find a good isolate they are lactose free, but good luck with this.

• I can't tolerate dairy either but I have no problem with ghee. I use this instead of butter in my BP coffee, cooking etc.

You may be able to tolerate whey protein isolate rather than whey protein concentrate. The isolates are pure protein and are virtually lactose free.

I don't know which one is better for building muscle, Jason H would know. I just find less reaction from the isolate.

• I can't tolerate dairy either but I have no problem with ghee. I use this instead of butter in my BP coffee, cooking etc.

You may be able to tolerate whey protein isolate rather than whey protein concentrate. The isolates are pure protein and are virtually lactose free.

I don't know which one is better for building muscle, Jason H would know. I just find less reaction from the isolate.

Whey contains lactose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_content_of_foods

If you can find a good isolate they are lactose free, but good luck with this.

Thank you both. I will just stick with my Collagelatin protein then, although it's not as powerful at building muscle as whey from what I know. 

• I meant to say Jason M would know about the best protein powder for muscle gain.

I'm sure Jason H does too.
  • I'm lactose intolerant and i can also tolerate ghee and whey isolate no problem. I'm not sure why you'd have a hard time finding a good isolate, there are plenty out there to choose from.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• steve001steve001
    edited November 2015

I'm lactose intolerant and i can also tolerate ghee and whey isolate no problem. I'm not sure why you'd have a hard time finding a good isolate, there are plenty out there to choose from.

I spent a lot of money trying different whey protein isolates. Very few dont give me a negative reaction. I dont think its always from the milk proteins and sugars, I think it can be because the side ingredients and additives in them. Znaturalfoods sells a good one. $12 a pound. But I still take activated charcoal when I use this whey until I see the heavy metal and contamination analysis. Whey proteins are known to be contaminated.
  • Use whey isolate. Take a capsule with lactase enzyme (or a mixture of digestive enzymes) and put the content in the shake and blend. Works for most people inless you are very sensitive.

By the way, do you eat gluten? I see many individuals who get free from their lactose intolerance when they stop with gluten (also more severe allergies can dissapear).

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1