Licorice

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Where is a good place to get some healthy licorice? I want no added sugar, just some pure, nasty black licorice that everyone used to hate the taste of. I want it because it's candy that should actually be healthy, and also because it's good for your gut, especially when you have GI distress. I want to munch on it once a week or something. Anybody else do this?

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

Well, I'm no expert on this, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a chewy "Twizzler's-esque" licorice that isn't made with some kind of junk. However if you want a licorice candy that doesn't have any nasty additives, these licorice lozenges look promising. I haven't tried them, but they only contain organic licorice extract. If you want to enjoy the benefits of licorice, consider sourcing a good licorice tea, too. This one looks nice, though I haven't tried it.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I also love licorice and every time I see a brand I look at the ingredients list: same thing every time. Wheat, if you're ok with gluten I think Panda brand is the best, it's sold at most health food stores here in Canada. If you are gluten free the only way of getting the taste is licorice tea, Yogi is about the best licorice spice tea.

• http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81GB8SRHGGL._SY679_.jpg

Just buy the whole root, cut it into small chunks and chew on it like sugar cane.

And you can tell people you're chewing on a homeless man's dreadlock. Just kidding. This one is all you guys though, can't stand that stuff.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• Licorice can fuck off from you over to me cos I love the stuff. :)

We have this great one in NZ that is gluten free and the only sweetener is molasses. It's delicious but I can only buy it occasionally cos I eat the whole bag, with unfortunate consequences.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

if you are gonna go the 'real stuff' ie. licorice root, then you may want to google 'licorice estrogen',

i hear/read that it will (may?) raise estrogen, which may be a concern, esp if you are male

fake it till you make it

• Oh the joys of the internets... Check this out:

http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Licorice-Chewing-Gum-by-Xylichew-12-Pieces-14p76.htm

Gluten free, flavoured with Xylitol black licorice.

Xylitol, gum base, vegetable glycerin, natural anise & licorice flavors, gum arabic, sunflower lecithin, carnauba wax. Produced in a facility that also produces soy.

Zero carbs too. This may be worth a try if shipping is not obscene.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

^ but that's just gum, anise & licorice flavoured gum.    i think the OP wants to eat licorice...?

fake it till you make it

• Well, all this is gluten free, I don't see anything that is perfect but I haven't looked at every ingredients list, most have corn syrup which I guess is just ok in small doses.

http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Gluten-Free-c14.htm?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=19&page=5&idCategory=14&viewAll=yes

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Oh the joys of the internets... Check this out:

http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Licorice-Chewing-Gum-by-Xylichew-12-Pieces-14p76.htm

Gluten free, flavoured with Xylitol black licorice.

Xylitol, gum base, vegetable glycerin, natural anise & licorice flavors, gum arabic, sunflower lecithin, carnauba wax. Produced in a facility that also produces soy.

Zero carbs too. This may be worth a try if shipping is not obscene.

Dang, can't do xylitol either. Licorice is sweet on its own, right? Perhaps I'm asking too much. Also very allergic to soy, so can't take any chances.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81GB8SRHGGL._SY679_.jpg

Just buy the whole root, cut it into small chunks and chew on it like sugar cane.

Looks crazy. I think I'll try it... Maybe I could boil it and form it into some sort of candy-like concoction. Churn it like butter or something? Pull it like taffy? This is getting a little too suggestive, m'bad.

Well, I'm no expert on this, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a chewy "Twizzler's-esque" licorice that isn't made with some kind of junk. However if you want a licorice candy that doesn't have any nasty additives, these licorice lozenges look promising. I haven't tried them, but they only contain organic licorice extract. If you want to enjoy the benefits of licorice, consider sourcing a good licorice tea, too. This one looks nice, though I haven't tried it.

Actually I think that's the one I landed on originally before I posted this. But that's great, it really is just straight up licorice. I think we have a winner!

So this turned out to be quite a misadventure. I felt awful after eating just one piece of Zot licorice extract. I woke up with acid reflux for the first time in a couple months, and I just felt generally puky, weak, and tired. I think I'm still getting over it. Tasted alright, though, but not worth those symptoms.

I did a product review of Zot licorice, just for kicks. It turned out somewhat humorous:

• I have read repeatedly that licorice has a couple of  effects effects that are undesirable,  namely lowering testosterone levels and inhibiting the breakdown of stress hormones

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.
    edited January 2016

my mom's doctor recommended it for her low blood pressure.

not a lot of meds for low blood pressure, save for stimulants.

edit: my uncle who was a doctor would comment that it can lead to hypokalemia.

i used to love licorice when I was a kid. early and mid 80s.

i only just now remembered this after reading more on it.

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisinganswers.org/2013/09/03/does-licorice-cause-high-blood-pressure/