The Biohacker's Ces Device - An Open Source Electronics Project

M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
edited January 2013 in Cognitive Performance
I have had a long time interest/hobby of do it yourself electronics and a new found interest in brain and sleep hacking. That being said it only makes sense that I attempt to make my own CES device for said hacking. I would like to have feedback and information from the BP community about features that currently available devices are lacking and that they would like to see. In other words, I want to make a biohacker specific CES device that I can use and possibly anyone else who might be interested.

This project will be completely open source/open hardware. Meaning I plan to share all the schematics, layouts, software, and BOMs with anyone interested.

I am also interested in information anyone can provide about previous DIY work in this area, if there is any. I have not done a lot of searching since I plan to do this regardless of anyone else having done it previously. Like I said, electronics is a hobby and I have set this as my next project.

Also, it would be helpful if anyone who currently owns a working CES device would help me out by disassembling and taking photos of the insides of the unit. This will help speed up the early design phases of everything. PM me if you are willing and able to do this for me!

In the long term, I hope I can make a usable device that people in this community could tinker with and provide feedback. Even more long term I might be able to provide kits for the cost of parts, shipping, and small handling fee to people who are interested in putting one together themselves.

I am not going to lie, I don't know much about CES work other than it focuses on sending signals through the brain tuned to wavelengths associated with different mind states. So I plan to learn the details as I go.

This is supposed to be for an informed biohacker and not your average layman. So I want to make a device that might include programmed functions, customizable functions, as well as complete freedom via manual control.

Just some starting points, please provide any input you think would be useful:
  • What frequency range would you like to see (i.e. .1 to 100 Hz)?
    • What degree of precision would be useful in this range? (i.e. .1 Hz or .01 Hz?)
    • Would having an unvarying DC setting be useful?
  • What are the typical waveforms that are useful?
    • Sinusoidal?
    • Sawtooth?
    • Square wave?
  • Should the waveforms vary about 0 potential equally or would it be useful to provide some kind of DC offset?
  • Timer features?
  • User created programs?
  • Intensity variability? Time varying intensity, so in other words amplitude modulation. What would a gamma wave signal do that was amplitude modulated by an alpha wave?
  • What about frequency modulation?
  • Please, any input is welcome! I want to make a fully customizable device that gives the user the ability to tune the settings to their own individual physiology.

If anyone is interested, please, lets discuss!

Comments

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I am in, Mark. Let me finish my tDCS study first and I will have more time to contribute.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    Great! I am looking forward to it.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    A good friend of mine is an engineer that works for the Psych department of University of Sydney.... He designs and builds these machines for them.

How about I drop him a line and tell him to get on the forum? I've already got him hooked on BP Coffee, so why not?

No sorcery, just science. 

Sure! That would be awesome.
    I told him about it. Still waiting to hear back. Maybe he's busy... maybe he's being a lazy bitch... Who knows! image/icon_cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cool:' />

Oh well, no major rush. I expected more of a response on here to be honest! Maybe over time people will have more input.
    I'm very much the lazy bitch in that sense lol

I'd much rather defer to an expert if it's already been done before - and John is that expert that's done it before. I'll push him again this week1

• hzahza ✭✭
    I'm very interested in CES too, I just don't have anything particular to offer in terms of suggestions. Maybe one thing: Dave says he uses a Neurotrek device for CES, but it seems that the owner/manufacturer has become pretty unreliable, and it's not safe to order his products anymore.

Apparently if you're lucky enough to own one, it's one of the most flexible CES devices out there in terms of programmable frequencies. The specs can be found here: http://www.neurotrekdigitalpro.com/. If there weren't so many stories out there from people who paid for their devices a year ago and are still waiting, I likely would have ordered one by now.

Anyway, I'd try a DIY version of that.
  • Glenn GrantGlenn Grant Hack. Dev. Transcend.

Don't really have much to contribute unfortunately (aside from being VERY interested)

My thought is the more cusomizable (within reason) the better. Gives the ability to play with different hacks.

Has there been any much progress since Jan?

Nothing more than whats on paper.  I still want to get my hands on a preexisting device or documentation of the tear down of one.

Fair call. I'll be ordering an Oasis Pro soon all going to plan. Assuming it's easy to do so (aka a few screws, don't have to pry the case open) I'm happy to snap some shots of the internals.

Would be good if @Aaron Lorch's friend could help out/provide info!

That would be awesome!

Aaron Lorch - is your friend going to come share some knowledge? :D

So it arrived today. Really easy to open (2 screws), really easy to get the board out (4 screws), really annoying to put the feet for those screws back in place (pretty much have to balance all 4, while attempting to keep them lined up to the holes.. twas.. interesting.

Anyways, pretty much nothing of interest on the back of the board, and the front looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bf92a22hloaa31o/2013-03-07-21.43.46.jpg

Hope you find it useful.

• Hello Glen, can you give us any feedback on your new Oasis Pro?

How do you like it etc. ?

I noticed it doesn't have the 40 Hz Gamma that Dave Asprey uses. I spoke with Mind Alive and they said they could  custom program 40 Hz Gamma with a "2X firmware upgrade"  which would run a session at 38 -42 Hz for 20 minutes.