Methionine

Comfit7Comfit7
edited December 2015 in Anti-aging

Has anyone thought about methionine restriction and found any BP replacements for animal protein besides collagen?

Comments

• Yeah I dunno, methionine is probably important for getting stronger, which is one of my current goals. Strength seems to be one of the more important factors for how well you will age. I include some collagen in my diet so hopefully that will help balance things out a bit. Maybe someday I will dabble in the whole fasting/igf suppression thing, especially if I had signs of cancer or something, but being in my 30s I feel like laying down a stronger foundation is a higher priority.
  • How is strength one of the more important factors for aging?

I know I read on MarksDailyApple once that it supports our organs as we age but apart from that.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

there's probably a lot of different angles to look at that and theories to ponder. of course there's the obvious more strength means more durability, so a simple thing like a fall could really injure a weak person while the stronger person is either not injured as much or not at all. strength is also related to mobility, and mobility is probably at least as much of an asset to aging as strength. from what i've read, our brains likely developed their complexity to be capable of complex movement, and so the capacity to move and interact with your environment has a huge impact on brain health, and i think intensity can add another dimension of complexity (like simple but heavy lifting exercises). having an adequate amount of muscle tissue and using it also means more blood pumping through your body and probably all sorts of benefits and decreased likelihood of metabolic diseases. there've been some studies lately showing correlations between upper leg muscle thickness and longevity, as well as grip strength and longevity. 

i suspect there's a law of diminishing returns past a certain point, but i doubt that many of us are there. i think some good strength training along with other versatile movement and a reasonable amount of vigorous activity is probably the best approach.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Strength will reduce pain. Strength will keep you agile. More muscles burn more energy which will increase insulin sensititvity. Strength training will have even more beneficial effects like reducing chances for osteoporosis and stuff. There is a study with twins. In BBS you will find a few reasons and studies...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I agree with Dman and one thing I'd add is weight training prevents osteoporosis and strengthens bone.
  • Strength is correlated with longevity. To clarify: That's not muscle size, that's strength.

If I could go back, I'd have introduced cyclic fasting in my 20s - 5 days once per month or so.

I have not found that cycles of fasting reduce my strength, and have found that my lean body mass has increased around one of these cycles (ie. measure for higher muscle/ bone density) - as Valter Longo's studies show:

https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity