Starting Brain-Trainer Neurofeedback

So to give a little background- I am a 21 year old female with a somewhat rare learning disability known as a nonverbal learning disorder. It is not severe, but it does effect my daily life enough that it is a significant source of self consciousness for me. I tried professional neurofeedback with noticeable results after just 10 sessions. However, it is expensive and I wanted to be able to discover more about how neurofeedback can help heal my brain. Because of this, I ended up purchasing the lay user package from brain-trainer. From my research, it seemed like the system package that would best fit my needs. It should come in next week, and I plan to start using it after I come back from vacation in early January. 

I know that some of you have experience with at-home neurofeedback, and I wanted to know if there was any advice you would be willing to give me as I start out? Any helpful tips? This is a more technical question, but does bioexplorer require a DVD player? I have a macbook air, and Apple has stopped putting dvd players on their computers so I will have to buy an external one if this is the case. It would be nice to know beforehand so I can get started as soon as possible. Thanks to all that have written about their experience on neurofeedback here. It has been really helpful and I am incredibly excited to get started!

Comments

• Qi_PowerQi_Power I'll help if I can

Hi there,

Just stumbled across this, and seeing as I have been doing home NF for about 3 weeks now, I can give you some advice.

Yes, you'll need a DVD player for bioexplorer. I personally use  an external one on  my laptop, because the disk drive is broken on mine. That's as far as I can help you though, as I have a pc not a mac. You may need some kind of DVD software to allow BE to open your DVDs..

Hope it helps and good luck :)

My baby:

AHCm5sm.jpg

1) My research into leaky gut, and colostrum as a healing supplement.

2) I had crazy insomnia for about 6 straight months. I found a solution, you can read my story on PEMF sleep therapy here.

3) I've been successfully making a full-time income online now for 10 years (running online businesses) eg Samurai Web Consulting - hit me up if interested in private coaching or SEO Consultancy.

• edited December 2015

Bioexplorer is a Windows app, so it's somewhat awkward to run on the Mac (Boot Camp or Parallels).

• You don't necessary need a DVD, you can play supported video files through the video designs. Also, if cost is not an issue, I recommend BxShadow, you can training while using any application (browser, video player, game etc). You can try BxShadow for free for 30 days.

Good luck, I am confident that you will see great results, my only advice is to stick with it. Some conditions may require 10s of sessions, that said, given that you are 21 means that your brain should be quite adaptable compared to an older adult.

• Hi kpember, 

You are probably using your setup right now, and you probably don't need any advice. I'm only throwing in my two cents as I just did a tele-conv with Brain Trainer regarding the need for a DVD or not. My Windows 10 laptop doesn't have a DVD but it turns out you don't need a DVD, though I'm sure it would be useful. You can work with local media files (on your computer) or use BxShadow (Full Version) which comes with the Signature Combo Package - Lay User. I purchased the same Combo Package an hour ago, I'm looking forward to getting it.

What are your observations so far?

• Hello,

I've been using Brain-trainer's signature package for 9 months now and it's been the most transformative and empowering personal development tool I've ever experienced.  It's healing of your brain and nervous system will open you up to life in ways that you can't even imagine.  Truly an incredible journey you're embarking on. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of assistance to you guys in any way.

• Hello,

I've been using Brain-trainer's signature package for 9 months now and it's been the most transformative and empowering personal development tool I've ever experienced.  It's healing of your brain and nervous system will open you up to life in ways that you can't even imagine.  Truly an incredible journey you're embarking on. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of assistance to you guys in any way.

how easy is it to pickup, Im ordering a package from brain trainer now and was wondering how hard was it to do your first session

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• Hey Isildur, the simplest way I can answer your question is... it ain't that easy. With that said, it probably depends a lot on how technical you are, how much reading you are prepared to do prior to starting, how determined/focused you are in getting things right the first time, and if you purchased some support from them.

I consider myself to be a fairly savvy guy around technology (way back in the day I used to teach operating systems, and wrote a book about it) but like any unfamiliar technology, there's a learning curve. It will be a pretty steep curve if you don't purchase any support.

I ran a 20 point QEEG on myself, sent in the results, got a TLC7 Assessment back and have been doing sessions on myself ever since. My Assessment recommended five 'Blocks', each of those Blocks are uniquely different from the other Blocks, with each Block containing three different kinds of EEG Protocols. The Blocks work in order (Block 1, then Block 2, then Block 3...) and are separated by a day or two. In between Blocks, I do a nIR HEG session working on three different sites (F7, Fpz, F8). An example of the three EEG Protocols contained within Block 1 looks like this FRE1C IN (6-10) REW 13-21), FRE4C Squish (6-13), SMR%1C. Within each of those Protocols I am selecting a variety of Active sites and Reference sites, as an example I am using CZ, A1, F3, T5, F7, P3, C(A1), Fp1, MC2. I use the ElectroCap, ground at AFz, and sometimes A1 and A2. There are different requirements for each Protocol in terms of Time and Eyes Open or Eyes Closed. I use a mixture of provided media files and BxShadowin conjunction with YouTube videos to accomplish all the protocols via BioExplorer. Within Block 1 (probably my most 'hands-on') I have to use Quick Insert Electrodes at various points which get plugged into the ElectroCap and the QWiz, and at other times, I'm just using the ElectroCap. My other Blocks require much less fiddling around than Block 1. If none of this made sense, get some support. If it totally made sense, I want to shake your hand. ;-)

So far I have only done four HEG sessions on myself, as well as the first three EEG Block sessions. I've also run Assessments and sessions on my family. Every time I do it, it gets easier to complete, as I dial in my workflow and become more familiar with the interface. I suspect once I've completed my first cycle of five Blocks it should be relatively smooth sailing. 

That's my noob opinion to date, not much help I know but it's a legit overview of a beginner experience. So far I have no regrets with my purchase, Karen at Brain Trainer has been very helpful, as has Peter. I'm stoked to tumble down the rabbit hole for years to come. 

• Hello,

Thanks for providing feedback dbradley, it's always good to hear from experienced users who are having such positive results! I'll try not to bug you with any goofy questions. With that said, are you primarily sticking with the Blocks design created out of your TLC7, or are you branching out into some of the TAGSync, ILF etc?

Cheers,

Shaun

• @ Isildur1 -  Your purchase should include a courtesy start-up consultation and that will help you tremendously.  I'm a good example of someone that felt completely out of my element in trying to get everything operational.  In spite of the initial overwhelm, I hung in there and with Karen and Pete's help got the basic process down to a routine and haven't looked back since.  Their assistance was truly the leverage in what got me up and running without too much stress. 

@ staylor -  I'm primarily sticking with TLC designs as prescribed from the results of my assessments and the goals I'm after.  Currenly on my second assessment and seriously considering buying the assessment software to be able to run assessments on myself with more frequency.  What got me thinking about this is the flexiblity to be able to hone in on specific areas that I'd like to emphasize in training i.e. deep states, critical thinking, quieting inner dialogue etc.  I've come a long way from using only a couple different assessments but am interested to see what it's like to adjust some of the nuances of the protocols...every 20 or 30 sessions or so, and see what comes of it.

Last weekend I did my first session of TAGsync under the guidance of it's creator, Douglas Daily, and it's a totally different experience than TLC block training.  I like it but learning how to use it well and competently will take some adjustment and getting used to.

• @ Isildur1 -  Your purchase should include a courtesy start-up consultation and that will help you tremendously.  I'm a good example of someone that felt completely out of my element in trying to get everything operational.  In spite of the initial overwhelm, I hung in there and with Karen and Pete's help got the basic process down to a routine and haven't looked back since.  Their assistance was truly the leverage in what got me up and running without too much stress. 

@ staylor -  I'm primarily sticking with TLC designs as prescribed from the results of my assessments and the goals I'm after.  Currenly on my second assessment and seriously considering buying the assessment software to be able to run assessments on myself with more frequency.  What got me thinking about this is the flexiblity to be able to hone in on specific areas that I'd like to emphasize in training i.e. deep states, critical thinking, quieting inner dialogue etc.  I've come a long way from using only a couple different assessments but am interested to see what it's like to adjust some of the nuances of the protocols...every 20 or 30 sessions or so, and see what comes of it.

Last weekend I did my first session of TAGsync under the guidance of it's creator, Douglas Daily, and it's a totally different experience than TLC block training.  I like it but learning how to use it well and competently will take some adjustment and getting used to.

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your response.

I had been thinking about purchasing the Assessment software for quite some time, I pulled the trigger on the new TLC7.4ap a couple of weeks ago for the reasons you mention. It's easy to use and since I'm managing four people (myself and my family) it kinda makes sense. One of the side benefits of getting the TLC7.4ap is the ability to see the Autoplan's primary recommended Protocols for each Block, as well as the secondary recommendations, all of them assigned a Weight. Using my Block 1 as an example, I have 6 4-Channel Protocols and 6 2-Channel Protocols to choose from, every Protocol has an assigned Weight and the Autoplan identifies the 3 Protocols you should use based on the 20 point Assessment and your CRep. With that said, the secondary recommendations are interesting and should be able to provide a basis for personal experimentation/tweaking to cover a broader footprint of results.