What The Heck Is This Shit?

What's up...

whenever I change from my junkfood regimen to eating healthy I don't seem to get any ROI out of it...

What I mean is... whenever I switch to a paleo lifestyle I feel good for about 2 days... and after that my health seems to deteriorate and I feel much worse than I would if I'd eat junk-food style.

I also know that there's supposed to be a withdrawal period or not...

The problem is that my brain somehow isn't getting enough oxygen or something the third day in...

When I think about it... it feels like a weird problem to have... but it has me back to my old regimen very quickly..

And it happens every damn time... this healthy food is supposed to clear my brain fog and give me more energy while I actually feel that my brain isn't getting any fuel whatsoever like extreme brain fog, forgetfullness and extremely low energy and feeling like fainting...

Is there some blockage in my detox pathway or what's going on? As there needs to be a solution for this.

I'd appreciate any explanation

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

What's your carb level like when you switch to 'healthy'... do you go zc or vlc...?

If so, you are most probably experiencing 'keto flu' or 'low carb flu'. 

edit:

If that is the case, the 'Whole30' posted a timeline a while back that may offer some ideas of what you may experience; 

adaption timeline

i saved this article back in 2013 & cannot recall the details, but there was some amusing stuff in there from memory. 

days 2-3 are headed 'the hangover'. days 4-5 headed 'kill all the things'. 

fake it till you make it

• i can't really offer any advice until you explain what your junk food regimen consists of and what exactly your definition of a healthy diet is? Foods, macros, personal allergies and sensitivities would all be needed info.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• Seconding for more information. I'd love to help, but what exactly does your junk food vs healthy food regime look like? 

• edited December 2015

What's up guys,

I'm appreciate that I've got so many responses from all of you so quickly.

"What's your carb level like when you switch to 'healthy'... do you go zc or vlc...?"

"your definition of a healthy diet is? Foods, macros, personal allergies and sensitivities would all be needed info."

" I'd love to help, but what exactly does your junk food vs healthy food regime look like? "

I already knew that "eathing healthy" is too vague  :-|

Let me clarify:

When I start eating "healthy" I don't go too low carb because I'd get reactive hypoglycemia or the low carb flu very fast. Suffering from chronic fatigue too this is not a good combination. So I'd say I do about 100g of carbs a day. Maybe 150. I weigh 275 pounds

I do very low carb in the morning, more carbs during the day and most of my carbs in the evening to shut down cortisol so I can sleep.

Typical day would look like this:

Breakfast - Lots of Eggs with Lots of Kerrygold Butter 

1 or 2 Apples or tiny amounts of dark chocolate as before Lunch otherwise I feel a bit like fainting.

Lunch - Salmon with Vegetables, Coconut Oil and a few nuts afterwards

Dinner - 100-150g of carbs, rice/quinoa/millet/buckwheat, vegetables

So basically High Fat, moderate protein, low-moderate carbs.

Food sensitivities

I feel like I react to almost everything I eat... I considered to do an elimination diet but there would be almost nothing left to eat for me.

I weight 275 pounds, I need about 3000 calories and there's no way I'd get all of that from vegetables. I also think I'm reacting to eggs and nut, definately reacting to fatty meats by getting headaches everytime.. I already avoid most meats but damn... I have no idea how to get sufficient fuel in trying to cut out all this stuff...

Junk food regimen

When I don't care about diet it usually looks like this: Eating lots of bread with dairy, cheese... lots of sweets... chocolate, jam, pasta, LOTS of carbohydrates. I get addicted to sugar very quickly and can eat a jar of jam without any problems so I might have insulin & leptin resistance but I don't want to speculate too much.

• As much as you are trying to combat hypoglycemia with extra carbs, in my opinion what your doing may not be enough. Your junk food regimen has A LOT of sugar in it. What I did in my journey that landed me eating very much on the green spectrum of the BP diet with great results, is to first simply cut out processed sugar, this took my body a few weeks to adjust. I continued eating grains and pastas and all that other junk and just cutting out the processed sugar took time. In this time I also focused on eating more vegetables with healthy fats but I didn't try to make them my main staple like they are now. Once I felt good on no sugar I moved to a more paleo style diet by cutting out grains which was very difficult for me. For the first few months I ate pretty decent portions of red skinned potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice (all with tons of fat!). The last step for me was having BP Coffee in the morning and really getting my body fat adapted by drinking this and having nothing else until lunch.

Good luck! Definitely try avoid eggs and nuts for a while. If you suspect its a problem there is a very good chance it is.

Its not about jumping from junk to perfection. Just work on moving the needle in the right direction day by day.

• edited December 2015

As much as you are trying to combat hypoglycemia with extra carbs, in my opinion what your doing may not be enough. Your junk food regimen has A LOT of sugar in it. What I did in my journey that landed me eating very much on the green spectrum of the BP diet with great results, is to first simply cut out processed sugar, this took my body a few weeks to adjust. I continued eating grains and pastas and all that other junk and just cutting out the processed sugar took time. In this time I also focused on eating more vegetables with healthy fats but I didn't try to make them my main staple like they are now. Once I felt good on no sugar I moved to a more paleo style diet by cutting out grains which was very difficult for me. For the first few months I ate pretty decent portions of red skinned potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice (all with tons of fat!). The last step for me was having BP Coffee in the morning and really getting my body fat adapted by drinking this and having nothing else until lunch.

Good luck! Definitely try avoid eggs and nuts for a while. If you suspect its a problem there is a very good chance it is.

Its not about jumping from junk to perfection. Just work on moving the needle in the right direction day by day.

Agreed. Once you reach the point of feeling like you're going to faint before lunch you've already gone too far. Too far in terms of hypoglycaemia. Don't focus on going low carb just yet. Focus on switching out the "Junk" carbs for healthier carbs.

Adding in "healthy" foods that you are sensitive to (eggs/nuts) will definitely make you feel worse even though everyone with a health blog will tell you you should be eating them.

And for a final big picture view, i think you might have some bad GI issues. All the "junk" is highly processed and therefore a bit easier to digest. I've been there man, takes a while to figure out, especially when you feel crappy on stuff everyone else is telling you you should be eating, but you can do it.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• JimmmJimmm
    edited May 2016

Mag and Star, you I think guys hit the nail on the head for me. I experienced something very similar as the op - switched schedules, fell into some old habits for several months and had a diet that sounds a lot like his junk diet. Now I am trying to get back on track. Thinking that I was doing it somewhat gradually by eating 3 meals a day, making sure I'm getting 125 - 150 grams of carbs a day, yet I still feel crappy often. I have a feeling by trying to go from one extreme to the other, it has left me often feeling tired, weak and frequent headaches. - I may follow that advice of trying a more gradual approach.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file