Linseed Oil Vs Krill Oil!?!

Hi,

I am currently "consulting" my uncle in regards to supplementation.

When proposing Krill OIl as an Omega 3 fatty acid source he said he saw linseed oil in a shop nearby and now asked if instead of krill oil he can simply down a tbsp of linseed oil every morning..

Now I recall that there were "stuff" going on with common linseed oil and that Dave would not recommend it but I can't recall the details.

Are there any valid arguments I can present my uncle?

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

It oxidizes rapidly. Linseed oil is for varnishing wood, not eating.

(It is also combustible, if you wad up a rag soaked in linseed oil and throw it into a garbage can it can ignite spontaneously and cause a fire.)

edited January 2016

Linseed oil - see also flax seed oil

Yup. Boil it 'n stain some spalted maple! Eat some flax muffins if you want flax seed oil inside you  :mrgreen:

On a more serious note some points to consider:

Conversion of ALA to DHA with plant sources of Omega 3s is rather poor compared to getting your DHA directly from marine animals.

Flax seed oil oxidizes easily compared to krill oil.

Krill oil capsules have incredibly low amount of Omega 3s for their price point.

Krill oil has astaxanthin, but the actual levels in each capsule may be in dispute.

Fish oil has sustainability concerns and some less expensive ones use farm raised fish, but has a much higher level of Omega 3s for the price point.

Consider the dose he is looking to take and the reason for taking it.

I'd recommend taking a pharmaceutical grade Omega 3 over krill oil or fish oil so you are not taking 3-6 capsules of fish oil to the amount of Omega 3 that you want, but it really depends on why he is taking it and what his goals are.

Now that I have a minute to sit and drop links:

Chris Kresser - Why fish stomps flax as a source of omega-3

OmegaVia - Flaxseed Oil vs Fish Oil

Fish Oil Dosage

What Is "Pharmaceutical Grade" Fish Oil?

OmegaVia - Krill Oil Misinformation

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

sparefilms...why does 'Flax seed oil oxidize easily compared to krill oil'

fake it till you make it

edited January 2016

sparefilms...why does 'Flax seed oil oxidize easily compared to krill oil'

It is susceptible to damage by heat and light, necessitating refrigeration to prevent oxidation and rancidification. There is some merit to flax seed oil that has antioxidants added in as a preservative, and mixed results with cold-pressed flax seed oil being shelf stable at room temperature until being opened. I've found that hemp seed oil also has the same drawbacks, especially the sensitivity to temperature. This makes it impractical, particularly if you have to travel or take it to work.

The select few brands of krill oil I would purchase are cold processed with CO2, have the additional benefit of astaxanthin content as an antioxidant, are processed immediately upon being harvested to avoid degradation, and are opaque softgels that are stable at room temperature.

I would still recommend pharmaceutical grade fish oil over krill because of the cost efficiency per dose and the ease of taking a proper dose. I view krill oil as an addition to an Omega 3 supplement regimen. I view something like hemp seed oil as an addition as well, but in something like a salad dressing as opposed to in a supplement role. (Unless you are allergic to fish products of course)

edited January 2016

What is "pharmaceutical grade fish oil?"

tl;dr

"Pharmaceutical Grade" fish oil is a scale indicating the consumer equivalent of the prescription fish oil Lovaza. Basically concentrated Omega 3s without the fish fat that is the primary component of most fish oil supplements. Thus, less pills to take.

Omega3-Per-Pill1.jpg

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Fair enough. So processing, storage, delivery method & antioxidant content.

All things being equal, it would probably come down to the antioxidant content...

because on paper, krill oil would be more 'unsaturated' than flax oil...which would make it more prone to oxidation than flax oil (in the absence of antioxidants).

fake it till you make it

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭ ✭✭
    edited January 2016

All things being equal, it would probably come down to the antioxidant content...

I believe I recall Dave saying that the astaxanthin in krill oil keeps it from oxidizing. 

Also, the ALA in flaxseed/linseed oil is poorly converted to EPA/DHA as found in fish and krill oils:

α-Linolenic acid can only be obtained by humans through their diets because the absence of the required 12- and 15-desaturase enzymes makes de novo synthesis from stearic acid impossible. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA; 20:5, n−3) anddocosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6, n−3) are readily available from fish and algae oil and play a vital role in many metabolic processes. These can also be synthesized by humans from dietary α-linolenic acid, but with an efficiency of only a few percent.[14] 

- Wikipedia, but the footnote source is legit. (Similar story for plant-based vitamin A conversion to usable retinol.) 

Finally, note the omega 6 and 9 content of flaxseed/linseed oils. The omega 3 content is higher BUT it's as ALA, so once you do the conversion to EPA/DHA, you end up with more O6,9. I think hemp oil has this problem too. 

Between refrigeration, hassle, poor conversion, and crappy taste, I don't really see the point of flaxseed oil unless you are a very strict vegetarian on a budget, or perhaps if you see noticeable benefits you can track. For a strict veggie without a budget, algae would be preferred I think. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

I did a bit of reading on ALA a while back and found some interesting stuff. I feel like consuming a combo of chia and hemp may be a good way to get some ALA without the downsides of flax, and that this combo may convert the ALA more efficiently into EPA. It was a thread about flax seeds, I think...

Edit: Found it.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

It's pretty clear that humans need DHA in their diet. Preferably from fresh fish/shellfish, and the further down the processing chain the worse it gets.

• genao87genao87 ✭✭ ✭✭
    edited January 2016

tl;dr

"Pharmaceutical Grade" fish oil is a scale indicating the consumer equivalent of the prescription fish oil Lovaza. Basically concentrated Omega 3s without the fish fat that is the primary component of most fish oil supplements. Thus, less pills to take.

Omega3-Per-Pill1.jpg

damn didnt know this.    on average Krill Oil has less Omega 3s,  way less I hear than Fish Oil.    I knew about Lovaza but I never thought it was used as a measuring stick for off market Fish Oil supplements.

How does Cod Liver Oil play into this?   Cod Liver Oil I take is from Vitamin Shoppe.   I know it has more Omega 3 content than Krill Oil on average but less than Fish Oil...well that is what I keep hearing.   I take Cod Liver Oil for the benefit of it having Vitamin A (active form) along with the Omega 3s

damn didnt know this.    on average Krill Oil has less Omega 3s,  way less I hear than Fish Oil.    I knew about Lovaza but I never thought it was used as a measuring stick for off market Fish Oil supplements.

How does Cod Liver Oil play into this?   Cod Liver Oil I take is from Vitamin Shoppe.   I know it has more Omega 3 content than Krill Oil on average but less than Fish Oil...well that is what I keep hearing.   I take Cod Liver Oil for the benefit of it having Vitamin A. 

I have no idea on the Cold Liver Oil, someone else will have to chime in. 

• If you wanted to get the most DHA/EPA from an animal with minimal processing, you should take it from the retina.  The retina also has tons of vitamin A.

Unless the supplement has been standardized, the amount of n-3 fatty acids is highly variable.  It will change given environmental conditions like food supply and the time of the year.

If my health insurance were better, I would try and get a prescription for Lovaza to save money on supplements.  Unfortunately, I now have an $8,000 (USD) deductible.  Just five years ago, I would have been able to get a generic for $4 and my premiums were much lower.  Did anyone actually benefit from the Affordable Health Care for Americans Act?

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

If you wanted to get the most DHA/EPA from an animal with minimal processing, you should take it from the retina.  The retina also has tons of vitamin A.

Unless the supplement has been standardized, the amount of n-3 fatty acids is highly variable.  It will change given environmental conditions like food supply and the time of the year.

If my health insurance were better, I would try and get a prescription for Lovaza to save money on supplements.  Unfortunately, I now have an $8,000 (USD) deductible.  Just five years ago, I would have been able to get a generic for $4 and my premiums were much lower.  Did anyone actually benefit from the Affordable Health Care for Americans Act?

Yeah, Lovaza is shit fish oil because it is ethyl ester.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

Yeah, Lovaza is shit fish oil because it is ethyl ester.

This is why I use Omega Via, same amount of EPA/DHA (and you can get EPA only or DHA only versions), cheaper than on prescription (even with insurance), and its in triglyceride form.

I know that people with preexisting conditions who would normally be denied insurance can now get coverage at a rate that won't make them homeless. Especially transplant patients. All of my generic prescriptions are actually still $4 and are not impacted by my deductible. Unfortunately Lovaza does not fall under generic prescriptions, so it would still carry the premium price of $45 with my insurance.