'adrenal Fatigue'; Does It Actually Exist?

edited January 2016 in General Discussion

This adrenal fatigue actually a real thing?  

And someone point me in a more convincing direction.  General Googling results seem pretty adamant it's BS but for as long as I followed Dave and a bunch of the other Paleo/Alt Medicine crowd adrenal fatigue has been a big talking point.  I also see it a lot on these forums...

Thanks guys

Tagged:

Comments

• http://blog.wellnessfx.com/2015/11/10/is-adrenal-fatigue-real/

To me it seems like people use it as more of a ...pseudoscientific poetic metaphor for being over stressed and recovering poorly, and could probably be fixed 90% of the time with better rest habits and better nutrition. Testing companies would be glad for everyone to think they have it and do as many cortisol tests as possible though.
  • There are some clinical reasons for why someone would get adrenal fatigue (like Wilson's disease).  There are perfectly healthy, active, normal people who suddenly crash.  They go in to see their doctor, and the doctor tells them to suck it up, so they get back out there and try and push through and it makes it worse.  They usually end up gaining a lot of weight in their midsection and start watching 4-6 hours of TV a day.  It's one of those things that is much easier to prevent than to treat.

• There are some clinical reasons for why someone would get adrenal fatigue (like Wilson's disease).  There are perfectly healthy, active, normal people who suddenly crash.  They go in to see their doctor, and the doctor tells them to suck it up, so they get back out there and try and push through and it makes it worse.  They usually end up gaining a lot of weight in their midsection and start watching 4-6 hours of TV a day.  It's one of those things that is much easier to prevent than to treat.

http://blog.wellnessfx.com/2015/11/10/is-adrenal-fatigue-real/

To me it seems like people use it as more of a ...pseudoscientific poetic metaphor for being over stressed and recovering poorly, and could probably be fixed 90% of the time with better rest habits and better nutrition. Testing companies would be glad for everyone to think they have it and do as many cortisol tests as possible though.

Thanks for the comments guys.  

Still really wondering if there's any science to it...  it doesn't actual appear to be a recognised condition but rather a collection of symptoms with a 'health blogger' label attached to them...  I'd like to be more sure about this concept. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

'hpa axis dysfunction'

I've started to see this description used more of late, in place of 'adrenal fatigue'

(does not answer your query. but may add to the discussion & give you something more to 'google')

fake it till you make it

• The expression has been overused and is still not well defined in terms of the mechanism that causes it. 

However, it does show up clearly in test results via cortisol dysregulation - see the DUTCH test. So it is something that you can test for.

And that cortisol dysregulation relates directly to the 'fatigue' aspect, particularly in the typical afternoon dip in energy.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity