Anxiety - Got My Hr Monitor, Need Help.

edited January 2016 in Stress Hacking

Hello !

I'm new to this forum.

If you want to know my story, long story short, here it is, otherwise please go directly to the question at the bottom:

Background : I've suffered from severe Gad (anxiety , panick attacks, tinnitus, and to some degree obviously mild depression), because of a very hard adolescence which ended with prolonged stress, 3 years of extremely severe stress.

After that I started a journey to recovery, I figured out I had to change, and I've recovered alot. First year I tried just medication, but once I tried to lower them my symptoms started to come again.

So I started to work on myself, cognitively (started reading lot of books, psycology, philosofy, self help, and so on) and started some meditation. 

I'm now medication free, my life is better than ever, still I suffer from time to time from some high stress situation, some symptom comes back, but I manage them well and they last just 1-2 days. But I want also to normalize this rare symptoms which are still scary.

So I wanted to give myself a boost and bought an HR Monitor which I use with Elite Hvr.

Question is : I've read anxiety/stress usually gets along with low HRV. Is it normal I have a very high HRV in stressful days or even in those rare days I'm scared because of an anxiety attack? I mean, using elite HRV, the average user have an Hrv of 60 (I let a friend of mine test it, he recorded 58), and I have something usually above 72 (tried today, had an anxiety attack 2 days ago because a huge financial problem, and my mood and anxiety are bothering me a bit in these days:) ?

Yes, for example if I'm anxious or scared my HRV drops to something like 66, and yes meditation raises it usually between 70-75, so it does work like a charm, I feel ok in just 10 minutes usually, my parasympathetic works well, but I remain scared for some day after I get an anxiety attack.

I mean... Do I have room to improve or I'm better to get another way to make improvements ? Maybe my main problem is not my Hrv(and my nervous system) and I should look for other issues to fix/other strategies to retrain my brain/NS ?

Any suggestion is welcome, mind that I don't know how to use to my purpose this hrv monitor yet. And... sorry for my english :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Update: I'm higly stressed and a bit anxious today, my recording is , 78 Hr (60 in normal conditions) and 81 Hvr. Any suggestion? Seems like I can't stretch hvr any more ?

• I'm not sure I understood what the questions was. However, HRV (hear rate variability) should be high. That is kind of correct but HRV are messured in several different ways. They all try to capture how well the heart changes beat to beat variation. Most of the statistical tools that are used do give a higher value for better HRV. However, many "stress" tools I've seen show a number that gets lower for a peaceful mind. They have simply calculated their own index that gives lower value for high HRV since most people would see a low scoare as peaceful and a high score as stressed. Just as we see hear rate at high vale as stress. Perhaps that is what you tool is doing? I have not used your app so I'm just giving you something to look up since I know many apps gives a low value for high HRV.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Hello BioChemist !

Uhm, no, not really. I know that usually high Hvr is a good thing, and the app I use makes no exception. A low Hvr usually correlates with an active sympathetic system, for ex. when you are under stress. On their website the average user Hrv is 60, only 10% of users score over 74, well... seems like I'm one of this 10%.

Somehow the application recognizes some kind of difference and tells me when I'm anxious or relaxed even if Hrv is the same, probably this Hrv explanation is semplicistic and the algorithm behind it is more complex (maybe it correlates also with average hr, which indeed is different in stressed days and relaxed ones).

To try to make it clearer, there are days when I'm stressed  and my hrv is 72, and days when I'm relaxed that hrv is still 72. So what is the difference ?

• Does the app only give one value for HRV? In reality there are a handfull statistical messures to describe the HRV. There is no convention on which to use or is the best so it would be interesting to know which value(s) it givs to you. It seems strange it wouldnt catch your mood. It usually does it better than you are aware of (unless you are a zen trained munk).

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Does the app only give one value for HRV? In reality there are a handfull statistical messures to describe the HRV. There is no convention on which to use or is the best so it would be interesting to know which value(s) it givs to you. It seems strange it wouldnt catch your mood. It usually does it better than you are aware of (unless you are a zen trained munk).

It does catch my mood, just can't figure out how since Hrv may be very similar in different mood states.

Uhm yes it gives me a bunch of other statistics too, for ex. here they are on a good day :

Min HR: 48.16 

Max Hr : 86.66 (yes I have a pronunced respiratory sinusal arythmia, but the difference between min and max here may be also due to a yawn)

Avg Hr : 59,47

RmSsd: 113.68

NN50: 96

LnRMSSD : 4.73

PNN50 : 64.430%

SDNN : 121.99

Just don't really know how to use them