Sick 25 Year Old Female's Hack Back To Heath

As stated, 25-year-old female here. I live in the moldy sunshine state and have been very ill for the past 5 years. This is the thread to track my progress back to health. Suggestions & feedback = eternal gratitude. 

Medical History

Born: Healthy 

Five: I was administered ampicillin (antibiotic) and rapidly developed a severe case of autoimmune blood disease ITP. Went into remission within weeks after being given steroids

Rest of childhood: Moderate gut issues, crazy sweet tooth & social anxiety 

Twelve: Moved to South East Asia for 2 years & developed asthma 

Thirteen: First manifestation of type 1 bipolar disorder (mania, depression, suicidal impulses)  

Fifteen: Began binge drinking hard liquor. Mania and depression worsened 

Seventeen: Became dependent on heavy drinking for social interaction 

Eighteen: Began chain smoking cigarettes. Lived in a moldy dorm. Suffered respiratory infections/pneumonia for most of that year. Continued heavy drinking habit. Began to starve myself to justify fast food drunk binges

Nineteen: Partied my way out of a full ride scholarship 

Twenty: Began birth control pills, was administered Gardasil & given antibiotics for a respiratory infection in the same doctor's visit. Almost immediate health collapse. Vomiting, diarrhea, horrible bloating & gas, acid reflux, lethargy and escalation of depression & anxiety. Was tagged with IBS 'diagnosis'. Gave up red meat & dairy. Vomiting ended, but rest of symptoms persisted. Dropped from 135 pounds (5'10) to 112 pounds. Saw 9 different medical professionals. Diagnosis changed from IBS to IBD. Tests came up with nothing. Was thrown pain pills and mislabeled "anorexic" because of my weight loss, age & gender. Toward the end of the year was prescribed antidepressants for my stomach. Resulted in severe two-week manic episode

Twenty-one: Came down hard from mania on 21st birthday with self-harm (took dull knife to legs, chest, stomach & wrists). Bipolar diagnosis. Took no medication for fear of worsening physical health & distrust of pharma. Cleaned up diet (whole foods) but still binge drank & smoked cigarettes. Moved into a house that had an intense toxic mold issue. Had to flee (leaving almost all personal belongings) after we turned on the heat for the first time and burned/spread spores. The dog died, and we suffered nausea & nosebleeds. GI health took a turn for the worse.

Twenty-two: Took up yoga, began to back off the booze. Still smoked cigarettes. Went vegetarian, then vegan, then raw vegan, then juice fasted. Did not help horrible GI symptoms, but did manage to deplete B12.  

Twenty-three: Went gluten-free & paleo. Helped for a little while, but then symptoms returned. Eventually tried coffee enema, discovered intestinal worms. Removed said worms by firebombing them with herbal medicines. GI symptoms persisted.  

Twenty-four: Gave up alcohol, cigarettes & carbs. Went bulletproof. Slowly began to get make progress. Decreased symptoms, but symptoms still present & crippling. 

Twenty-five: Ready to do whatever it takes to regain heath. I believe I have leaky gut and dysbiosis. I have an intolerance to almost everything. Fiber results in diarrhea, carbs in bloating & gas, protein without HCL & enzymes in bloating & gas, too much fat results in diarrhea & bile in stool. I have an oral allergy to most fruit and believe myself to be intolerant to salicylates, sulfur & histamine. My diet is almost exclusively meat, weak coffee, ghee & bone broth. I'll occasionally try vegetables with little success.  

Current daily routine

- 8 hours of sleep

- 30 minutes of reading

- 2 pints water + 8 drops 2% iodine 

- 30 minute walk

- 3 pints water + 4 digestive enzymes + 60 mg gamma oryzanol + 5,000 MCG biotin + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii 

- 15 mins yoga + 10 mins meditation + journaling

- 3 hours into day I'll have coffee with 1tbs ghee

- 2 hours later I'll have a pint of bone broth (ox tail + beef feet in cockpot for six hours + salt)

- 1 pint water

- 6-8 hours into day I'll have a meat meal (organic chicken or grassfed beef with salt & ghee) with 5 enzymes + 3-4 HCL + 5,000 mcg biotin + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii + 200 mg magnesium  + 150 mg potassium + 400 IU vitamin E + 800 mcg ultra folate + 5 mg litium aspartate + 50 mg zinc + 2200 IU vitamin D + 300 mg niacin + 500 mcg b12 + 2mg copper 

- 1 pint water

- Next time I get hungry I drink coffee + ghee

- 1 pint water

- If still hungry I'll have a second meat meal 

- Bone broth before bed with 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii

- 2 pints water 

I usually do a few coffee enemas a week and once a week administer Bifidus in enema. I have a tendency to cheat/binge with carbs (fruit, nuts and/or grain) on Sundays as I have Mondays off to lay around feeling terrible. I'll occasionally smoke a social cigarette and have a glass of red wine. In the week my body does that lady thing I eat a bar of 90% dark chocolate (lidnt). Trying to end all indulgences as I feel they set my recovery back. 

Would love suggestions on daily routine or ways I can speed my recovery. Will update thread with progress. 

Comments

• I've been troubleshooting my wife's menopause-like symptoms and think focusing on hormone levels with diet, exercise, healthy relationships (eliminating unhealthy relationships) and mental mastery over stress, breathing and unlocking your unbelievable potential seem to be the best places to focus.  That was a mouthful.  You are making nice changes, and I have no doubt you can get to a radiant, healthy state.

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

Wow McQuantified, your body really has been through hell. I'm glad you found the BP diet. It's definitely a step in the right direction. 

So many great changes and additions you're making. Kudos! But yes, I definitely have some suggestions based on your history... and what you DIDN'T say...

1.  I would move magnesium and D3 to bedtime (always take mag when taking D3), boosting your magnesium to 600 mg and D3 to 1000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight.

2.  Glad to see you're taking niacin, but you might want to think about boosting this to 1000 mg, 3x/day (as niacinamide so there's no flush).

3.  Finally, Vitamin C - 10,000 mg in divided doses. If you do well with this, add more each dose until you reach bowel tolerance (exactly what it sounds like), then back down a bit so you're just under that tolerance threshold. This should be your daily therapeutic dose. 

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1981/pdf/1981-v10n02-p125.pdf

To your health!

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

As stated, 25-year-old female here. I live in the moldy sunshine state and have been very ill for the past 5 years. This is the thread to track my progress back to health. Suggestions & feedback = eternal gratitude. 

Medical History

Five: I was administered ampicillin (antibiotic) and rapidly developed a severe case of autoimmune blood disease ITP. Went into remission within weeks after being given steroids

Thirteen: First manifestation of type 1 bipolar disorder (mania, depression, suicidal impulses)  

Eighteen: Began chain smoking cigarettes. Lived in a moldy dorm. Suffered respiratory infections/pneumonia for most of that year. Continued heavy drinking habit. Began to starve myself to justify fast food drunk binges

Twenty: Began birth control pills, was administered Gardasil & given antibiotics for a respiratory infection in the same doctor's visit. Almost immediate health collapse. Vomiting, diarrhea, horrible bloating & gas, acid reflux, lethargy and escalation of depression & anxiety. Was tagged with IBS 'diagnosis'. Gave up red meat & dairy. Vomiting ended, but rest of symptoms persisted. Dropped from 135 pounds (5'10) to 112 pounds. Saw 9 different medical professionals. Diagnosis changed from IBS to IBD. Tests came up with nothing. Was thrown pain pills and mislabeled "anorexic" because of my weight loss, age & gender. Toward the end of the year was prescribed antidepressants for my stomach. Resulted in severe two-week manic episode

Twenty-one: Came down hard from mania on 21st birthday with self-harm (took dull knife to legs, chest, stomach & wrists). Bipolar diagnosis. Took no medication for fear of worsening physical health & distrust of pharma. Cleaned up diet (whole foods) but still binge drank & smoked cigarettes. Moved into a house that had an intense toxic mold issue. Had to flee (leaving almost all personal belongings) after we turned on the heat for the first time and burned/spread spores. The dog died, and we suffered nausea & nosebleeds. GI health took a turn for the worse.

Twenty-two: Took up yoga, began to back off the booze. Still smoked cigarettes. Went vegetarian, then vegan, then raw vegan, then juice fasted. Did not help horrible GI symptoms, but did manage to deplete B12.  

Twenty-three: Went gluten-free & paleo. Helped for a little while, but then symptoms returned. Eventually tried coffee enema, discovered intestinal worms. Removed said worms by firebombing them with herbal medicines. GI symptoms persisted.  

Twenty-four: Gave up alcohol, cigarettes & carbs. Went bulletproof. Slowly began to get make progress. Decreased symptoms, but symptoms still present & crippling. 

Twenty-five: Ready to do whatever it takes to regain heath. I believe I have leaky gut and dysbiosis. I have an intolerance to almost everything. Fiber results in diarrhea, carbs in bloating & gas, protein without HCL & enzymes in bloating & gas, too much fat results in diarrhea & bile in stool. I have an oral allergy to most fruit and believe myself to be intolerant to salicylates, sulfur & histamine. My diet is almost exclusively meat, weak coffee, ghee & bone broth. I'll occasionally try vegetables with little success.  

Current daily routine

- 8 hours of sleep

- 30 minutes of reading

- 2 pints water + 8 drops 2% iodine 

- 30 minute walk

- 3 pints water + 4 digestive enzymes + 60 mg gamma oryzanol + 5,000 MCG biotin + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii 

- 3 hours into day I'll have coffee with 1tbs ghee

- 2 hours later I'll have a pint of bone broth (ox tail + beef feet in cockpot for six hours + salt)

- 1 pint water

- 6-8 hours into day I'll have a meat meal (organic chicken or grassfed beef with salt & ghee) with 5 enzymes + 3-4 HCL + 5,000 mcg biotin + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii + 200 mg magnesium  + 150 mg potassium + 400 IU vitamin E + 800 mcg ultra folate + 5 mg litium aspartate + 50 mg zinc + 2200 IU vitamin D + 300 mg niacin + 500 mcg b12 + 2mg copper 

- 1 pint water

- Next time I get hungry I drink coffee + ghee

- 1 pint water

- Bone broth before bed with 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii

- 2 pints water 

I usually do a few coffee enemas a week and once a week administer Bifidus in enema. I have a tendency to cheat/binge with carbs (fruit, nuts and/or grain) on Sundays as I have Mondays off to lay around feeling terrible. I'll occasionally smoke a social cigarette and have a glass of red wine. In the week my body does that lady thing I eat a bar of 90% dark chocolate (lidnt). Trying to end all indulgences as I feel they set my recovery back. 

Would love suggestions on daily routine or ways I can speed my recovery. Will update thread with progress. 

The probiotics more than likely will not survive without any carbs to ferment if they implant at all.

You cannot tolerate any carbs?

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I second the vitamin C flush. My current conception is that this mows your bacterial lawn, which appears to be out of control.

Taurine and glycine help with bile production.

Nice work on your thorough history.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• edited January 2016

Thank you so much sportsbettingmanBrainSpankingNews & John Brisson!

Sportsbettingman: I also think a low-stress lifestyle is imperative. At my sickest I was juggling 4 jobs (I'm type A). I'm down to one that makes me happy and believe it's playing a role in my recovery

Brainspankingnews: You rock! I've adjusted my magnesium & D3 as well as have purchased some niacinamide (I flush like crazy). I'm going to experiment with my vitamin C tolerance on my next day off. I very much appreciate the input. 

John: Historically, not well at all. I avoid gluten grains, and rice & potatoes? Not a fun time. I have had a tendency to fixate on one vegetable, which is a bad idea with leaky gut. I would like to get my biome balanced, so I think I'll try small doses of (cooked, skinless, seedless) moderately starchy vegetables with my probiotics and rotate them regularly. Any suggestions on which ones I should try first?  

edit:

Firezombie: Thanks - I'm googling taurine & glycine now! :) 

• Why do you take the supplements you take?

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    If you move your magnesium and d3 to bedtime,

keep an eye on your sleep.

Both Mg & d3 (individually) in the evening worsen my sleep...I could be an outlier tho.

& I have never tested taking d3 & Mg together in the evening.

fake it till you make it

• Why do you take the supplements you take?

Iodine: To decrease pathogens 

Biotin: Because I suspect fungal overgrowth

Vitamin C: Immune boost/decreases pathogens 

Folate: Aids mucous membrane repair (intestinal walls)

Gamma-oryzanol: Intestinal healing (just started this one, slowly increasing to 100 mg three times a day for three weeks)

Niacin: Assistance in breaking down protein, carb & fat 

Zinc: Required for immune health

Vitamin E: Good for skin & hair 

Vitamin D: Immune support

Copper: Hair mineral analysis showed deficiency 

Magnesium: " " 

Potassium: " "

Lithium: " " 

Intending to soon introduce: Seacure, Vitamin A

Should I take D3 & A together with some grass fed ghee (for K2)? 

Any thoughts on selenium supplementation? 

Daz: Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on sleep - sufficient sleep is vital 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

Total A & D balance seems important, tho no one seems to know any ideal ratio.

If mice are anything to go by(?), then it may be best to keep A & D supps apart...? (if you supp) ;

from a mouse study; Fat-soluble vitamin intestinal absorption: absorption sites in the intestine and interactions for absorption

some text from the abstract;

"Significant competitive interactions for uptake were then elucidated among vitamin D, E and K, supporting the hypothesis of common absorption pathways.

Vitamin A also significantly decreased the uptake of the other FSVs [fat-soluble vitamins] but, conversely, its uptake was not impaired by vitamins D and K and even promoted by vitamin E."

fake it till you make it

• Updated daily routine:

- 7.5-8 hours of sleep

- 30 minutes of reading under red LED light

- 2 pints water + 8 drops 2% iodine + 30 mg zinc + 2mg copper 

- 30 minute walk

- 3 pints water + 4 digestive enzymes + 60 mg gamma oryzanol + 5,000 MCG biotin + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate (+ thinking of introducing R-Lipoic acid here)

- 3 hours into day, bulletproof coffee + 5000 IU vitamin D3 + 200 mcg selenium + 30IU vitamin E + 200 mg magnesium + 150 mg potassium

- 2 hours later 1 pint bone broth

- 30 minutes before meal 1 pint water

- Meal 6-8 hours into day with organic chicken or grassfed beef, salt, ghee & simmered vegetable. Taken with 5 enzymes + 3-4 HCL + 5,000 mcg biotin + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + B-complex + Caprylic Acid + Olive Leaf Extract + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate

- 1 pint water

- Next hunger Bulletproof coffee (would eventually like to introduce Acetyl L-Carnitine here)

- 1 pint water + fermented cod liver oil + 5000 IU vitamin D3 + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate  

- Next hunger bone broth or yogurt + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic

- Small dose of carbs before bed with 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii (would taking Caprylic acid & Olive Leaf Extract here nullify the the probiotics?)

- 2 pints water 

- 3 grams magnesium ascorbate + 5 mg lithium aspartate (and maybe R-Lipoic acid here too)

• Bumping this thread. How are you doing, mcquantified? 

I doubt taking caprylic acid & co. would harm your probiotic settlement but still, I find it's best to take on an empty stomach with lots of water to avoid it being all too digested. 

How are you on the taurine? And have you read about phosphatidylserine? It helps to lower stress so that you can actually assimilate all the rest of the stuff. And make sure the zinc you are taking is carnosine, it's the only thing for leaky gut.  Quercetin helps greatly with that as well.

Good luck.

• Hey, hopefully this question isn't too intrusive - but are you currently medicated for BPD? If you've got the disease I don't think the supplement marry-go-round will do much for you. Look into low-dose lamictal to stabilize your mood.

• Thanks Have Mercy Percy & raisinquery for your input.

Follow up after almost a year:

Have determined GI issues linked to yeast. Many symptoms persist, but I feel I get healthier every month. Still on a low-carb bulletproof diet. Have managed to integrate moderate carbs and vegetables into diet but still avoid strachy vegetables, all fruits, nuts, and sulfurous foods. Can tolerate carbs if included in meals with meat and fat, but never well alone. I still battle with (weekly) carb binges that set my progress back.

Bipolar disorder (mania) more intense this year than ever before, but attributed to stress & tragedy in professional & personal life. I am unmedicated and will continue on this course as long as I am not a harm to myself or others. Mania is one of my body's stress responses and the symptom helps me understand when I've transgressed against it.

Daily Routine:

• 8 hours of sleep (if not manic or depressive)
    • Water with organic/food-grade lemon essential oil
    • Primrose oil, full-spectrum probiotic, Vitamin D, Vitamin A & B12
    • 20 minutes of reading
    • Journal, gratitudes, and affirmations
    • Shot of ACV
    • Hot shower under red LED light
    • If hungry I grind two tablespoons of organic flaxseed and mix with hot water, ghee, MCT, pumpkin pie spice, collagen protein, glycine & salt to make a cereal of sorts. Follow later with black coffee.
    • If not hungry I take bulletproof coffee. Sometimes I'll eat organic, uncured bacon
    • Emails & work things
    • Enzymes & HCL
    • Fat and protein rich meal with greens & small side of vegetable
    • Supplements (calcium, zinc, potassium, selenium)
    • Emails & work things
    • Tea
    • Probiotics
    • Bulletproof coffee
    • Dinner or snack if hungry (low carb, bulletproof)
    • Emails & work things
    • Tea
    • Supplements (magnesium citrate, fermented cod liver oil & probiotic)
    • Journal, read, bed, sleep

Yoga and daily walks fell off and were replaced with nightly red wine when I opened a small business in July while still employed full time. Cutting alcohol and re-integrating exercise for the New Year. Intend to cease carb binge habit.

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 122

Goals for 2017:

• Get gut microbiome in check
    • Gain 10-15 pound of fat & muscle by end of year

Looking into low dose Lamictal, zinc carnosine & quercetin

Thanks all!

• @John Brisson said:

Medical History

Current daily routine

• 8 hours of sleep

• 30 minutes of reading

• 2 pints water + 8 drops 2% iodine 

• 30 minute walk

• 3 pints water + 4 digestive enzymes + 60 mg gamma oryzanol + 5,000 MCG biotin + 3 grams magnesium ascorbate + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii 

• 15 mins yoga + 10 mins meditation + journaling

• 3 hours into day I'll have coffee with 1tbs ghee

• 2 hours later I'll have a pint of bone broth (ox tail + beef feet in cockpot for six hours + salt)

- 1 pint water

• 6-8 hours into day I'll have a meat meal (organic chicken or grassfed beef with salt & ghee) with 5 enzymes + 3-4 HCL + 5,000 mcg biotin + 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii + 200 mg magnesium  + 150 mg potassium + 400 IU vitamin E + 800 mcg ultra folate + 5 mg litium aspartate + 50 mg zinc + 2200 IU vitamin D + 300 mg niacin + 500 mcg b12 + 2mg copper 

• 1 pint water

• Next time I get hungry I drink coffee + ghee

• 1 pint water

• Bone broth before bed with 1 L. Plantarum probiotic + 1 saccharomayces boulardii

• 2 pints water 

The probiotics more than likely will not survive without any carbs to ferment if they implant at all.

You cannot tolerate any carbs?

I agree that the oral probiotics will likely not survive in your body, due to the current state of your GI tract. I highly recommend that you read the book "The Body Ecology Diet" by Donna Gates; the whole protocol is centered around a diet of probiotic FOODS. I wouldn't take any dairy if I were you, even cultured/fermented dairy. I also would alsosteer clear of Kombucha since it's a "wild" ferment and less controllable, making it more suitable for healthier individuals. You need probiotic vegetables... Raw veggies are difficult for you to digest because of the copious amounts of cellulose.. And cooked veggies are difficult for you to digest because the innate enzymes are destroyed in the cooking process. A diet based on fermented veggies--while extreme-- is the ONLY diet I know of that directly and drastically heals a GI tract as dysfunctional as yours apparently is. Please read this book!!

Infrared sauna therapy would also be beneficial.

• Have you considered some king of volunteering or community service. And do you have relationships with people you can trust? It sounds like you're taking great care of your body what if that's not the problem?

• eanageleanagel
    edited November 13

Good job fighting your way back to complete health! I like the idea of looking up the Body ecology diet, and volunteering for mental health reasons, but i have also had a tough journey of my own for the past ten years and thought i could add a little input in case it helps. I was in the army, i joined when i was 17 (i am 28 now) i suffered a series of very traumatic events/physical permanent injuries (i look pretty normal but trust me they were very significant, such as three TBIs) and after i got out i became obese, and those medical issues along with my mental health issues have plagued me from 2011 to about recently when i went BP last year. I do many things, like look after my kidneys, liver, thyroid, and detox with glutathione on a regular basis, daily actually. i have a long list of supplements i use, including all 20 amino acids, in free form version, so my body and brain can repair, and i just recently started excersising again. i was 220 lbs, now i am between an size 8/9.

what i have been looking into recently, especially with what dave asprey talks about, is mold toxicity. have you considered that you may have been exposed to mold? maybe you should look into testing for it.

also, i am reading Head Strong, and doing outside research into the effect neurotransmitters in your brain have on the rest of your body, ie, for example, oxytocin helps your body to heal, noradrenaline causes stress, and so on. i am doing research into what you put in your body, and the effects that has on your brain because my theory is that i became obese as a result of my ptsd, because no matter how hard i tried, no matter how i starved myself and excersised, it just wouldn't come off. i feel like at least one of the factors in your health may lie in your brain, and the balancing of chemicals within. i hate traditional psychiatrists, and medication, so i am tryng to look into an alternative, and get testing as well.

possibly consider looking into detox methods as well, especially from Dave asprey's point of view. allergies are a definite sign of a need to detox, at least for me.

hope this helps!

• eanageleanagel
    edited November 16

my apologies, i just read your post more carefully, and your mentions of mold. here is a link to a podcast that dave does to talk about mold and how to combat it : http://www.bridgitdanner.com/womens-wellness-blog/mold-week-day-1

also, i know i sound nerdy, but my favorite amino acid is glutamine. i have found that i helped my GI problems tremendously, and it is a very healing Amino acid.