Is There Some Kind Of Guard You Can Wear On Bottom Front Teeth To Protect Gums During Eating?

edited January 2016 in General Discussion

Think of foods that require you to really sink your teeth into like a tough big piece of barbecue meat or a big burrito. You could cut up the burrito into smaller pieces but its just not the same! I gotta bite into it. The burrito when cut it up doesn't hold its shape 

Yes, you could just buy a burrito boll

There must be some kind of mouth guard that has teeth on it that you can wear over front bottom teeth to protect the gums against the physical pressing. Has anyone/any company attempted to make something like this?

Something like a sports mouth guard for just the bottom front teeth except more cushioning and have teeth on it?

As far as why one would want to do this, I noticed that the gum recession I do have is mostly on the front bottom teeth. If I could just put something on top of those teeth and take them out of the equation during eating, that would prevent alot of the further gum recession. 

** Despite the responses, I'm still looking for an answer to the original idea in the post.  See my reply below

Comments

• Your gum recession likely has very little to do with your eating habits, and mostly to do with the lack of nutrition to develop healthy gums.

I suggest this book - http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Tooth-Decay-Cavities-Nutrition/dp/1434810607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453397654&sr=8-1&keywords=Curing+tooth+decay

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

You need to schedule an appointment with your oral hygienist and your dentist, and specifically ask them to evaluate for periodontal disease. Sensitivity and pain when eating even softer foods indicates inflammation and infection of the gums, and if left untreated can cause tooth loss and even lead to infection of the jawbone. Have a professional evaluation before the problem escalates so you can avoid expensive and lengthy descaling and debridement procedures or the need to have antibiotics packed into your gums to fight deep infections that can develop. 

Routine cleaning is also essential in cases of receding gums, since it removes bits of plaque that cannot be reached by flossing or even using a water pik at home. Keeping the gum line clear of debris and infection will allow the gums to recover and firm up.

Some Sonicare electric toothbrushes have settings for receding gums and gum care as well, but should be used after seeing your oral hygienist, receiving a cleaning, and following their instructions.

• edited January 2016

I've seen the dentist- and they have said my teeth and gum health is excellent. I have no pain or sensitivity while eating. 

My recession is very minor. Everyone has some slight gum recession. 

But basically I think it should be possible to eat most foods without using your front teeth very much by either cutting the food into small bits first / eating softer food and using your molars or by my idea in the OP. And I think over many decades if you hardly use your front teeth to eat, then you will probably have a better gumline down the road than everyone else. 

I am still interested in hearing a response to my original thread question. Please don't consider this thread finished.