Supplementing With Gaba

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with supplementation to help my sleep. I've been taking 500mg of gaba each night and its not really affected me. The last couple of nights I've gradually upped it to 2000mg and had the best nightssleep ive had in ages and been full of life the next day. Question being..... are there any dangers of taking this sort of amount regularly? I noticed Dave mentions figures of up to 2500mg in the book? 

Comments

• Hi guys,

I've been playing around with supplementation to help my sleep. I've been taking 500mg of gaba each night and its not really affected me. The last couple of nights I've gradually upped it to 2000mg and had the best nightssleep ive had in ages and been full of life the next day. Question being..... are there any dangers of taking this sort of amount regularly? I noticed Dave mentions figures of up to 2500mg in the book? 

Phenibut (a form of GABA) can be habit forming for sure, with withdrawal. Perhaps one of the reasons Dave discontinued his phenibut product. I personally wouldn't take anything that affected my neurotransmitters on a daily basis. 

• Hi guys,

GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier; supplementation has virtually no effect. GABA is a zwitterionic molecule and highly charged species can't cross a lipophilic membrane like the phospholipid bilayer. 

Phenibut does activate GABA(B) receptors, but this activity is thought to be less important than its effect on alpha2delta calcium channels. Phenibut is structurally very similar to baclofen - and has very similar pharmacodynamics. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier; supplementation has virtually no effect. GABA is a zwitterionic molecule and highly charged species can't cross a lipophilic membrane like the phospholipid bilayer.

...unless you have an immature or 'leaky' (too permeable) bbb

fake it till you make it

• I'm going to try L-ornithine next and see how I get on with that, as I'm taking up to 1g per lb of bodyweight in protein at the moment.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

I'm going to try L-ornithine next and see how I get on with that, as I'm taking up to 1g per lb of bodyweight in protein at the moment.

did you try the L-ornithine yet GJB 

fake it till you make it

• I supplement nightly with 500mgs of GABA. Occasionally I may even supplement with another 500mgs in the middle of the night if I have a racing brain or consuming a generous amount of alcohol (I believe I've read that alcohol will burn up GABA).

On a typical night though, if I go greater than 500mgs I can feel it the next day. I seem to wake up groggy. I had 1,000mg GABA capsules, but had to discontinue them.

Since I use it every night, I'd love to know if it is habit forming as well.
  • Half a tablet of Phenibut (a better GABA) in the evening or before going to bed makes me sleep better