Lots Of Phlegm After Drinking Bp Coffee

edited February 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hi I'm new to this forum. I've been drinking BP coffee for some time now and put little of stevia, 1t of honey and 1T of grass fed Kerry gold butter.  I started the diet this Monday.  Since I'm doing the fast each morning I do not put honey in my coffee and upped the butter to 1.5-2T and have two cups before 2pm.  I have noticed more each day after I drink my coffee I am constantly coughing up phlegm and yesterday noticed break outs.  Prior to the diet I don't recall any phlegm issues.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• I've been on Bulletproof Coffee for over 3 years and I'm pretty phlegmy every day, no coughing, but lots of phlegm, especially in the mornings. I remember Dave speaking about it in some of the earlier podcasts. Don't know or remember the details, but making plenty of phlegm doesn't seem like a bad thing to me (I hope). I spit like a chewing tobacco cowboy.

Interested to hear more info on the reasoning for this.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Dairy / Casein reaction?

• edited February 2016

I've been on Bulletproof Coffee for over 3 years and I'm pretty phlegmy every day, no coughing, but lots of phlegm, especially in the mornings. I remember Dave speaking about it in some of the earlier podcasts. Don't know or remember the details, but making plenty of phlegm doesn't seem like a bad thing to me (I hope). I spit like a chewing tobacco cowboy.

Interested to hear more info on the reasoning for this.

I have phlegm too and lots of it. It shows the most when I'm surfing and the salt water turns me into a retcher of ectoplasm. It feels like cups and cups of it... 

The thing is that like you, I don't cough or feel otherwise congested. My nose is fine or above. But the phlegm keeps bugging me. Usually after fat laden coffee or meal. I recall a Chinese medical practicioner ordering to hack and spit like your life depended on it. You know, just in case.

If it turns out be a bad thing, then it must be the butter, but if OP hasn't hasn't broken out or become phlegmy from dairy before, then it's strange.

OP, it could also be a bile problem. For me, what aided the digestion of fat was upping my intake of bitters such as arugula, peppermint tea and fennel before fat intake. 

• I'm noticing less phlegm/coughing/hacking this morning but ears are all clogged up.  I think it is just my body detoxing.  I'm 49 years old women that is 160 lbs.  I feel better so I'm not giving up on this way of eating even if it takes me a while to lose the 20 lbs I need to lose.  I'm on day 9 of the bulletproof diet and have only lost 4 lbs.  Thanks for answering my question.  

• ARZARZ
    edited February 2016

I've noticed this too, its like a frog in my throat right on that little trap door to your esophagus, like you need to hock all the time.  I went out in the desert dirt biking yesterday (point being, I can make any horrible noise I want and no one cares or notices), so I got rid of it at-will in the desert, but here in the office daily, even if I went to the bathroom I would probably offend people.  Just feels like I'm always clearing my throat, not enough to be painful, but it is annoying.

I have not gone a day without BP coffee since last Wednesday Feb 24th.

So you all think its just the butter and the oils in the coffee? 

Has anyone been successful at decreasing/eliminating this excess phlegm?

• I'm in the middle of mega-dosing Lugol's and flushing my nose with it it. I'm telling you I've gotten ridden of mucus that must have been up there for ages.

I'm also dairy-free day 13 and I definitely have less phlegm in the throat. Because making ghee is such as pain in the ass, I am consuming less fat. It's the amount or else it's the dairy that I can't handle, but it must be one of those. I'll reintroduce it soon to check for reactions.

But man oh man, making ghee really forces on display all that "insignificant" dairy that's in butter. From 1,5 of butter I get a 1,5 cups of pure mooo-goo, which is about 60% protein and 40% lactose..

• I have  had no gluten or dairy since I started.  At first (my first post) I had lots of phlegm, now I don't have it like before.  

• I have had this exact same problem for the last many months since I started BP coffee. It clears out more or less toward the end of the day but I'm trying to clear my throat all morning and often I just can't get it to clear.

I've considered dropping the butter or going to regular coffee, but the thing is, my migraines have completely stopped since BP coffee was introduced. And I used to be adrenal fatigued (usually you don't even touch coffee if you have adrenal issues)!

So I'm not quite sure what to do here. Maybe I need to chase the coffee with something that would cleanse the throat a bit, like a tea with some lemon or something.

• I'm in the middle of mega-dosing Lugol's and flushing my nose with it it. I'm telling you I've gotten ridden of mucus that must have been up there for ages.

I'm also dairy-free day 13 and I definitely have less phlegm in the throat. Because making ghee is such as pain in the ass, I am consuming less fat. It's the amount or else it's the dairy that I can't handle, but it must be one of those. I'll reintroduce it soon to check for reactions.

But man oh man, making ghee really forces on display all that "insignificant" dairy that's in butter. From 1,5 of butter I get a 1,5 cups of pure mooo-goo, which is about 60% protein and 40% lactose..

Curious about what you're doing with the Lugol's. Are you just putting some drops in a nettie pot? How much is "mega-dose"?  Is this a protocol you found somewhere?

We have Lugol's here but we just use it for stomach discomfort to ward off any bugs which might be in the stomach from a recent meal.

• I've been drinking bullet proof coffee for a couple of months now. I love how it makes me feel but I have been have issues with head congestion. My ears have been feeling blocked up and I've been having issues when I swim and surf. Anybody experience anything similar and if so how did you solve the issue? I've tried reducing the amount of butter and no luck. I don't want to give it up as I love how it makes me feel otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.