Antelope

J-rockJ-rock
edited February 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

I picked up some grass fed beef, wild boar, and some elk today and saw they had antelope as well. Has anyone had antelope before? Does it taste like venison or elk?

Comments

• Antelope is awesome! I'm amazed that you found that retail somewhere. That's generally not a very common farm raised animal. I hunt and end up with a freezer full of deer, elk and antelope. Antelope is definitely my favorite. It's very mild with more of a "sweet" flavor than elk. Much lighter meat and more subtle flavor. Highly recommend it! (This is all assuming that it's American Pronghorn and not an african species or something else).

• Antelope is awesome! I'm amazed that you found that retail somewhere. That's generally not a very common farm raised animal. I hunt and end up with a freezer full of deer, elk and antelope. Antelope is definitely my favorite. It's very mild with more of a "sweet" flavor than elk. Much lighter meat and more subtle flavor. Highly recommend it! (This is all assuming that it's American Pronghorn and not an african species or something else).

I was surprised to see it too! I love bison and elk the most, but wanted something different to add to my menu. It's sold by a company called Blackwing, but its not on their website.

http://www.blackwing.com/

• I was surprised to see it too! I love bison and elk the most, but wanted something different to add to my menu. It's sold by a company called Blackwing, but its not on their website.

http://www.blackwing.com/

wow, yeah...they have some crazy stuff on their website! Ostrich legs bones?!? Maybe need to try some Ostrich bone broth. Really curious where they get their antelope. My understanding is that those things don't do well in captivity. Even ranch fences can really be hard on them.

Thanks for the site address

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited February 2016

I just got off the phone with someone and she said the antelope was raised either in the United States or Canada. She also said it was a special and they may or may not do it again.

• hmmm, wonder if they have a relationship with a butcher who gives (or sells) them wild game that has been left by hunters. Either way I'd grab some. Great stuff!

• hmmm, wonder if they have a relationship with a butcher who gives (or sells) them wild game that has been left by hunters. Either way I'd grab some. Great stuff!

I'll have to pick some up the next time I run out there. I still have plenty of room in my chest freezer right now.

• If you're into the bone broth thing and you have a butcher in your area that processes wild game ask them to save the bones for you. I'm sure they'd give them to you for free (if you come haul them away) and they make really good broth. Beyond grass fed! I've got half a chest freezer full of just wild game bones at the moment.

Also if you can get your hands on elk, deer or even antelope liver or hearts....incredible stuff! I save all of it.

• I've got half a chest freezer full of just wild game bones at the moment.

Also if you can get your hands on elk, deer or even antelope liver or hearts....incredible stuff! I save all of it.

I'm jealous.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited February 2016

hmmm, wonder if they have a relationship with a butcher who gives (or sells) them wild game that has been left by hunters. Either way I'd grab some. Great stuff!

I bought some yesterday. As soon as I finish up my elk meat I am going to give it is shot. It's ground antelope. What seasonings would you use?

• Try this recipe for antelope stake

Antelope Steaks in Sour Cream Gravy

4 antelope steaks, trimmed

2 c. Flour

2 Tbsp. Garlic salt

2 tsp. ground pepper

2 Tbsp. oil

2 bay leaves

1 cup sour cream

Season both sides of each steak with garlic salt and pepper. Coat each steak with the flour. Add oil to large skillet and heat on medium. Brown each steak on both sides in oil. Turn heat to low and add bay leaves and sour cream. Simmer until steaks are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
  • Sounds good, but I can't use half the ingredients.

• You can use ground antelope like you would any other burger. You can use it just like you'd use ground beef to make a burger. Depending on how much fat they used in it (I make my own and generally end up using about 18% fat by weight...I have access to organic, grass fed Wagyu beef fat which is amazing) it may form into patties just fine and stay together without adding any other binders. I form patties and season afterwords....I generally use Himalayan salt and maybe a bit of organic onion or garlic powder. Depends on what you like (and can use based on your current diet). 

Antelope is very mild so I don't generally use many strong seasonings as I personally really like the flavor. It does work well in tacos and such too. 

• Antelope is very mild so I don't generally use many strong seasonings as I personally really like the flavor. It does work well in tacos and such too. 

Ok. I just didn't want to overpower the meat. Thanks.