Grass Fed Beef

Hi,

I am curious of others experiences with grass fed beef. I bought 1/4 grass fed cow from a local farmer. This cow was strictly grass fed and stayed in the pasture until it was time. The best scenario I imagine..

Why does it smell and taste like manure? I have sort if gotten over it, but is it normal to smell and taste unpleasant? I've always heard great things and the store grass fed beef tastes pretty normal. It's upsetting and this is obviously the most healthy cow I can get.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited February 2016

That's what beef is supposed to taste like. Not like manure, but it has a noticeable difference in taste than grain fed beef. It took me some time to get used to it as well after years of eating CAFO beef. Getting creative with seasoning helps. I'm not eating completely bulletproof because I still eat nightshades, mushrooms, and onions on occasion.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Yeah it definitely tastes different than conventional beef. The GF beef I get is much more dark brown/red too.

• you should also notice a distinct yellow color to the fat which indicates higher levels of omega3 fatty acids a well as CLA. One thing to note...once you defrost whatever cut it is you're going to use you don't want to let it sit in the fridge (or especially on the counter) too long....with the higher omega 3 content in the fat it will oxidize more quickly (which can also lead to rancid smells and off flavors). I would say 2-3 days maximum in the fridge before you eat it... definitely the sooner the better. You want to defrost it quickly as well and not just out leave it on the counter for a day to do it....

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited February 2016

If you don't like the earthy taste of grass fed beef try some elk if you can get it.