Modafinil Manufacturers

Saw my doctor today and got a prescription for modafinil.  Starting with the 100mg daily.  Just picked up my rx from the pharmacy and apparently, got the worse manufacturer out there.  (This always seems to happen to me no matter what medication I get. lol)  What experiences have you guys/girls had from different sources?  I am stuck with this for the first month, but should be able to request that the pharmacy overnight a different manufacturer next time.  The only two I know of are Mylan and Apotex.  I currently have apotex

Tagged:

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

You should look into Provigil by Cephalon Inc. That is the pharmaceutical gold standard for modafinil. The manufacturing method has a huge impact on how well modafinil works, and cheaper manufacturers can even have differences between batches. Definitely ask for the name brand if the cost is manageable.

• You should look into Provigil by Cephalon Inc. That is the pharmaceutical gold standard for modafinil. The manufacturing method has a huge impact on how well modafinil works, and cheaper manufacturers can even have differences between batches. Definitely ask for the name brand if the cost is manageable.

My insurance wont cover it :/ it has to be generic

• i'm not too happy with the Apotex tablets.  Adrafinil felt stronger than this crap.  I will maybe just have to call a day or two ahead and request that they order Mylan brand.  

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

when you say you are stuck with the Apotex for a month...

there must be a way* (hack) to get the pharmacy to take them back & swap them for the Mylan. 

of course you will need to get them to order the Mylan first. 

* i'm thinking side effects, or not working, or ....

perhaps compare all the non active ingredients in both products (download the product info insert pdfs), you may be able to find something in the Apotex that is not in the Mylan...& of course that particular ingredient is problematic for you

fake it till you make it

• when you say you are stuck with the Apotex for a month...

there must be a way* (hack) to get the pharmacy to take them back & swap them for the Mylan. 

of course you will need to get them to order the Mylan first. 

* i'm thinking side effects, or not working, or ....

perhaps compare all the non active ingredients in both products (download the product info insert pdfs), you may be able to find something in the Apotex that is not in the Mylan...& of course that particular ingredient is problematic for you

You would think so, but I used to work as a technician for 2 years at a CVS and they are pretty strict about not taking anything back that has left the store, especially a controlled substance.  Because of this, by law, I can't even pay cash if I wanted to for a different supplier.  Even if somehow I was able to give it back, insurance wouldn't cover it since a claim was already processed.

• After I got home and a few hours had passed I looked online and most people compare that brand to a "sugar pill".  Lesson learned.  Will have to wait at least 27 days before I can get another manufacturer, but have heard decent reviews about Mylan and I remember that being a reliable brand from my pharmacy days.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

My insurance wont cover it :/ it has to be generic

That's a shame, I know mine would let me pay a premium price and still get name brands. To be blunt, ordering from ModafinilCat is fairly cheap and you get to choose which of their 4 options you want. ModAlert from SunPharma works pretty consistently, even though I suspect that their manufacturing process is not 100% consistent since it seems like you can get a sudden rush from some tablets and a more gradual onset from others. I haven't experienced any ModaAlert that did not work.

• I've only used modalert to be honest. But, you can get a sample pack of a few different brands really cheap from ModafinilCat as sparefilms mentions...

• That's a shame, I know mine would let me pay a premium price and still get name brands. To be blunt, ordering from ModafinilCat is fairly cheap and you get to choose which of their 4 options you want. ModAlert from SunPharma works pretty consistently, even though I suspect that their manufacturing process is not 100% consistent since it seems like you can get a sudden rush from some tablets and a more gradual onset from others. I haven't experienced any ModaAlert that did not work.

The nice thing is that my insurance will give me a $0 copay if I get the generic.  Reading reviews and checking youtube, a lot of people say they prefer the mylan brand to the modafinilcat stuff.  I just feel better getting it from a US comapny.  I was prescribed it for other reasons too, so I plan to be on it a while (cycling off and on of course).  

• You should look into Provigil by Cephalon Inc. That is the pharmaceutical gold standard for modafinil. The manufacturing method has a huge impact on how well modafinil works, and cheaper manufacturers can even have differences between batches. Definitely ask for the name brand if the cost is manageable.

I'd have to agree with this statement from Modalert experience, especially the part re: batches differing a tiny bit. 

A buddy of mine has tried like three brands, Modalert, another generic, and I guess Provigil.  He said he noticed a little more pop and consistency from the higher priced Provigil (or whatever the top shelf option under insurance it is called now)

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • One comment re: modafinil based on experience...

I have noticed one of its side effects is a dulling of mood.  Very helpful in focus and grinding away on a subject of study...but not so great when making decisions.

Kind of like Buridan's Ass, we may use mood to guide us in tie break scenario's overloaded with options.  With the dulling of the mood, there is a chance to get into a looping pattern, so be on the lookout for inactivity in decision making from this drug.

To combat this, I have incorporated higher levels of mood into my goal setting and affirmations.  More passion, love and even channeling some anger (mind trick style) can have a very strong effect toward taking action.

"Buridan's ass is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will.

It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an ass that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the ass will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other.[1] The paradox is named after the 14th century French philosopher Jean Buridan, whose philosophy of moral determinism it satirizes. A common variant of the paradox substitutes two identical piles of hay for the hay and water; the ass, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.

Buridan's ass appears as metastability in digital electronics, when a circuit must decide between two states when there is an input that is changing value. In digital electronics a small amount of randomness acts as a tie-breaker, and the circuits settle into one state or the other after a usually very small, but unbounded period of time."

Just thought I'd pass that on. :)

Seeing through the chaotic.

• One comment re: modafinil based on experience...

I have noticed one of its side effects is a dulling of mood.  Very helpful in focus and grinding away on a subject of study...but not so great when making decisions.

Kind of like Buridan's Ass, we may use mood to guide us in tie break scenario's overloaded with options.  With the dulling of the mood, there is a chance to get into a looping pattern, so be on the lookout for inactivity in decision making from this drug.

To combat this, I have incorporated higher levels of mood into my goal setting and affirmations.  More passion, love and even channeling some anger (mind trick style) can have a very strong effect toward taking action.

"Buridan's ass is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will.

It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein an ass that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the ass will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other.[1] The paradox is named after the 14th century French philosopher Jean Buridan, whose philosophy of moral determinism it satirizes. A common variant of the paradox substitutes two identical piles of hay for the hay and water; the ass, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.

Buridan's ass appears as metastability in digital electronics, when a circuit must decide between two states when there is an input that is changing value. In digital electronics a small amount of randomness acts as a tie-breaker, and the circuits settle into one state or the other after a usually very small, but unbounded period of time."

Just thought I'd pass that on. :)

Wow great stuff man.  Thanks.  :)  I called the pharmacy today and next time I get the prescription I am going to go with a better manufacturer.  Mylan has great reviews from what I can find online.