Reaction To Bulletproof Diet Foods

Any explanation out there for why I would have a reaction to smoked wild salmon? I just started the two week regime today and ate smoked salmon and avocado for lunch. My heart rate went up and I felt lightheaded and jittery and unable to focus. I ate some non bulletproof food because I just grabbed what was in front of me to calm my system down. I have never had a reaction to salmon before, nor avocado. It was only the first meal on the diet as I just started. Since I already ate food the diet to counteract the reaction, I have to start over again and throw away the salmon probably.

I have been eating plant based vegetarian and am fed up with the lack of health benefits and looking to try a new approach.

Comments

• I'm confused. You said that you have been eating a plant based vegetarian diet and started a two week regime today with some smoked salmon. You've never had a reaction to salmon? How long have you been eating salmon if you were eating vegetarian?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I'm confused. You said that you have been eating a plant based vegetarian diet and started a two week regime today with some smoked salmon. You've never had a reaction to salmon? How long have you been eating salmon if you were eating vegetarian?

Where is the contradiction? :-P If you never ate something before you probably never had a reaction to it. ;-)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Any explanation out there for why I would have a reaction to smoked wild salmon? I just started the two week regime today and ate smoked salmon and avocado for lunch. My heart rate went up and I felt lightheaded and jittery and unable to focus. I ate some non bulletproof food because I just grabbed what was in front of me to calm my system down. I have never had a reaction to salmon before, nor avocado. It was only the first meal on the diet as I just started. Since I already ate food the diet to counteract the reaction, I have to start over again and throw away the salmon probably.

I have been eating plant based vegetarian and am fed up with the lack of health benefits and looking to try a new approach.

Could be anything. Changing lifestyles has its effects both long and short term, positive or negative. Don't eat it for a while, try a little bit when you're ready for it. Or just eat other BP foods.

• Any explanation out there for why I would have a reaction to smoked wild salmon? I just started the two week regime today and ate smoked salmon and avocado for lunch. My heart rate went up and I felt lightheaded and jittery and unable to focus. I ate some non bulletproof food because I just grabbed what was in front of me to calm my system down. I have never had a reaction to salmon before, nor avocado. It was only the first meal on the diet as I just started. Since I already ate food the diet to counteract the reaction, I have to start over again and throw away the salmon probably.

That sounds awful. The only thing that I can say is that I had a conversation with a knowledgeable person at one of our local sustainable meat shops in town and he explained the difference between different types of smoking which I was not aware of. Apparently there is the natural type of smoking which involves exposing the meat to very low heat for a prolonged period and the other which involves injecting smoke flavour into the meat ... obviously the latter cab pretty toxic. He did say that this was common in bacon production, so I don't know if that is what could have happened with your salmon.

Just a thought.
  • Is the smoked salmon itself high quality? If yes, then look into histamine intolerance and reactive hypoglycaemia. Was it a bunch of carbs you ate after that settled your system back down?

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• The salmon was from a place that sells only grass fed, etc. I have been doing plant based for a year and did not feel any different although I lost a little weight. But I had terrible cravings.

From a losing weight perspective Bulletproof diet makes more sense; so I am giving it a try. . When I eat bacon or bullet proof coffee I do t feel well at all. No disaster pants though.

If I eat the bulletproof bars, I can eat only one third as I get the higher heart rate and faint feeling.
  • J-rockJ-rock
    edited March 2016

Sounds like your body is trying to get used to eating meat and dairy again after being restricted from it. At least that's the impression I am getting.

• I'm not sure about the ingredients of the bulletproof bars but bacon, coffee, salmon, are all high histamine. Dave has a good post on histamine intolerance. Hard to say for sure but look into it at least.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

This heart beat thing is not very exact...

Usually whenever you eat your heart rate goes up.

Also depending on how much protein you eat you may fall out of keto and feel crappy. Then you will feel better by eating some carbs because you know...now your body wants more carbs.

If this is not the case the quality of the salmon plays a big role.

If you are the type for immune reactions smoked salmon may be a bat idea because of the bacteria (salmonella). I know I have to take care of it because my gut is not so good with excreting pathogenic bacteria overall from a genetic standpoint and I can get easily weird gut problems from fresh even veggies from the farmers market so it seems....

Then there can be just a real allergy with salmon. My mother gets big skin issues from salmon! You can be allergic to anything.

That's all I can think of.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training