Most Effective Weight Loss Protocol For Over 40 And Questions

I am 49 and have about 30 lbs to lose. I've been on BPD for a week and have noticed little difference. (I don't own a scale - but just judging by the way I feel in clothes). I think this diet could fit well with my lifestyle, but I've had many frustrations with trying to lose weight in the past.  I even went on a 500 cal HCG diet a few years ago and couldn't lose more than 6 lbs! Ever since perimenopause, I've been gaining weight like crazy.  I went from a size 6 to size 12 in just a few years. 

I think I messed up my eating during the first few days by eating 1-2 apples, some almonds and having 1-2 glasses of dry white wine. Could this be the problem? I also do 30 min of intense exercise 5 days per week, alternating cardio with weights. I've been doing the intermittent fasting, but I've only lasted 15-17 hours at most. 

I really want this to be the answer to my weight loss woes, and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm beginning to feel I'm immune to weight loss, but that can't be right, can it? Please help!

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi! I am 46, and haven't started on bulletproof yet, but for the last 4 months I have stopped eating grains, sugars and any processed foods. I also have increased my meat and healthy fats intake, and have started walking every day on my breaks at work (these are only 15 minute walks).  I have lost 18 pounds just doing that, but I also need to lose at least 30 more, or even 50 more. I just got my order of bulletproof coffee and Brain octane oil in the mail so I plan to start that next week ( I am going out of town this weekend).

From what you said above I think apples are a bad idea, I know people say they are so healthy but overweight people (who are usually insulin resistant to some degree) shouldn't eat them. Even if I eat an apple with some type of protein and fat, they still mess with my blood sugar.

The wine I think is OK - I drink low carb beer sometimes and it didn't affect me. I am also peri-menopausal, so I know what you're going through!

• I am in natural ketosis (wahls protocol mixed with bulletproof) over four weeks now. I have a fast 16-8 every day. Take bulletproof coffee in the morning. Then a salad with fish or meat and veggies a flaxseed cracker with almond butter. For dinner a plain salad with fats/oil dressing and a bulletproof dessert (greek yoghurt/coconut cream, berries, vanilla and colla gellatin). I have 70% fats, 5 carbs and 25% is protein. I do 1 refeed/low protein day. But I do not lose any weight. Feel better though. Any thoughts.

Are you al in ketosis?

• I am in natural ketosis (wahls protocol mixed with bulletproof) over four weeks now. I have a fast 16-8 every day. Take bulletproof coffee in the morning. Then a salad with fish or meat and veggies a flaxseed cracker with almond butter. For dinner a plain salad with fats/oil dressing and a bulletproof dessert (greek yoghurt/coconut cream, berries, vanilla and colla gellatin). I have 70% fats, 5 carbs and 25% is protein. I do 1 refeed/low protein day. But I do not lose any weight. Feel better though. Any thoughts.

Are you al in ketosis?

Have you lost any weight, even the initial water weight?

You gave us your percentages, but percentages of what? Are your calories too high?

I did the bulletproof diet for two weeks and lost nothing and did not feel any different. I am now in day 3 of the rflp... I have lost 4 lbs of water.
  • Muriel, You might want to add some resistant starch to your evening meal. Rather than potato starch just cook potatoes and let them cool, then reheat or eat a sweet potato. Helps with sleep too. Everyone has parasites to some degree although the only paleo guy that I have researched, even mentioning it is Chris Kresser. Testing for them is inaccurate. Susan Pierce Thompson of Bright Line Eating has some good ideas and info you might want to check out since this isn't working for you. My functional med advisor feels that circadian rhythm plays the biggest role. Too much blue light from electronics, not enough sunlight, etc. Try looking into the first AM sun for 15 min if possible daily. If later, just Look at the sun with your eyes closed. Keep tweaking your diet, etc until it works for you and watch out for hidden sugars.