Microwaving Coffee

Hi All,

Sometimes my coffee (without butter) gets cold and I have to reheat it. I usually use the microwave.. but are there any reasons why I shouldn't? Health-issues? 

Tagged:

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited March 2016

Either drink it faster or just put it in a insulated travel mug when you make it. I wouldn't put it in a plastic mug though.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Reheating coffee is a Cardinal Coffee Sin, and you deserve lashings. Or go buy a Contigo mug  :wink:

Seriously, reheating coffee is an abnormal act that goes against natural law. Take a look, Kitchn does a pretty solid writeup:

http://www.thekitchn.com/why-microwaving-cold-coffee-makes-coffee-lovers-scream-222315

• It surely tastes better if it's fresh - no doubt about it! But sometimes all I want is the caffeine rush :) 

According to the article you linked to me, there seems to be no health issues, just a taste issue - I was concerned that microwaving it was creating some kind of cancerogen like what happens when you fry potatoes (acrylamide).

• If Dave sees this thread, he'll find you.....and kill you. (Just kidding)

On a serious note, like said above, just put it in a thermos or drink it faster. What is the reason you're taking a while to drink it? Are you busy doing work? Focusing on something else? Or just enjoy drinking coffee slowly? 

I try to stay away from the microwave as much as possible if I can. I'd rather have my lunch cold than reheat it. I'm sure you can find studies for both sides of the argument, but I just stay away from it as you're essentially nuking your food and making the particles/atoms move around unnaturally quicker.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

It surely tastes better if it's fresh - no doubt about it! But sometimes all I want is the caffeine rush :)

According to the article you linked to me, there seems to be no health issues, just a taste issue - I was concerned that microwaving it was creating some kind of cancerogen like what happens when you fry potatoes (acrylamide).

Drinking awful tasting coffee is psychologically deadly, you are killing your enjoyment of life!

• Drinking awful tasting coffee is psychologically deadly, you are killing your enjoyment of life!

I know. What a perfect way to ruin your morning.

• If it gets totally cold, you could put ice in it and drink it that way if you like. In the video Dave says he pours hot water into the blender first to heat it up, which you could then pour into your cup to heat that as well. I'm usually too lazy to do that.