Sardines Vs Fish Oil?

mistamista
edited March 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

I've read that fish oils are often oxidized and thus unhealthy to supplement.  When I buy fish oil, it's usually nitrogen purged, stored with potent antioxidants (green tea catechins / tocopherols / rosemary extract, etc) under cold refrigeration and packaged in an amber glass bottle with a recent manufacturer's date with a lot number that allows me to look up the verified lab-tested low peroxidation / low contaminant values for that exact batch.  When I smell the fish oil, there's no real odor and the taste is very mellow and not very fishy.  Yet, apparently this is highly likely to be oxidized.

So, I'm curious how Sardines compare.  I usually see sardines as mentioned to be a sort of superfood (rich in minerals + long chain n-3 + easy protein), yet, these are cooked + smoked + sold with water in a plastic-lined can and sold on a warm grocery store shelf where they've been sitting for upwards of a year or more without antioxidants, with a very strong fishy smell and taste, and sold without any sort of CoA guarantee for peroxidation / metals / PCBs / contaminants.  How does the PUFA oxidation compare here with fish oil or something like cooked salmon?

Comments