What's The Best Kind Of Olive?

mistamista
edited March 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

I've read that olive oil as a raw pressed extract is higher in polyphenols than the fruit, since raw olives are generally inedible until cured, which lowers the antioxidants.

Lately, I'm really digging these guys (ripe salt cured):

https://essentiallivingfoods.com/products/pitted-botija-olives

But I'm curious how they would compare to something like these (unripe brine cured):

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Living-Foods-Organic-Botija/dp/B004FF6QBI

I believe these can also be cured with just water without salt, or in oil.  I've read that there are also some varieties than can be ripened on the branch which don't require curing (Thrubolea?) What's the best olive+curing method for maximum bulletproofyness and nutrition?  It seems like it should be right around olive harvesting season, although I'm not able to pull up much on google trying to find a vendor for Fresh 2016 Harvest Organic Olives, let alone Fresh 2016 Harvest Raw Organic Thrubolea Olives.

Tagged:

Comments

• I steer clear of the black ones, as many (or all?) will be artificially colored. In germany we have pitted green olives, non pasteurized, in water and ascorbic acid. I buy those mostly. :)

• mistamista
    edited March 2016

The ones I'm looking at here should be basically Organic olives (from a EurepGAP "Good Agricultural Practices" certified farm), spring water, and sea salt.  I'm not too concerned with food coloring (sneaky!)  The green ones are pretty tasty too -- although a little more "anisey".

"Our Botija olives come in two varieties: black and green. Green olives are picked earlier in the season, before fully ripening, to ensure a crisp texture. Black olives are picked later in the season, after tree-ripening in the sun. This ripening process makes the olives softer and changes their flavor characteristics.  Our olives are traditionally lacto-fermented, using only sea salt and local spring water. After hand-harvesting, the olives are washed and graded, then placed into large food-grade tanks with pure local spring water and sea salt. Over time, the salt water pulls bitter elements out of the olive flesh while naturally present probiotics digest some of the sugars and fibers in the olives. This time-honored technique produces a superior olive, both in terms of environmental impact and flavor characteristics. It's also a healthier olive, providing probiotics for improved balance of digestive flora (which may support immune system function). After curing, the olives are rinsed and bottled in a mild solution of sea salt and aji spices for shipment to our air-conditioned facility in Southern California.  "

I would be curious if the ripened olives have more polyphenols from their deeper colors and longer time spent developing and fermenting, or if the green ones are more ideal as a "fresher" olive?  I'm also curious if freshness is a concern similar to nuts, where the unsaturated fats are sensitive toward oxidation?  It sounds like these ripened olives I'm getting are still being soaked (even though they're sold dry?), and this process is used to remove some bitter elements (polyphenols?)  Perhaps fresh unsoaked organic salt-cured green olives would be the way to go... wherever those can be purchased.