Does It Matter If The Butter And Oil Is Actually Mixed With The Coffee?

Here's my big dilemma: sometimes I like to drink the coffee using the "recipe," meaning I brew a cup of it and blend it with the butter and oil. However, sometimes I like to drink plain espresso, with nothing added to it. Am I missing out on any of the benefit if I drink the coffee separately that way, and incorporate the butter and oil into my breakfast some other way, like in food? I also, at least right now, can't drink too much coffee in a day, or else I don't sleep that great, so I don't want to do both in the same day to get both kinds of fix.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

The idea is that blending a liquid fat at high speed helps the formation of micelles which make the drink more digestible. 

But other than that there is no problem with having coffee and butter/oil separate if that suits you better.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Here's my big dilemma: sometimes I like to drink the coffee using the "recipe," meaning I brew a cup of it and blend it with the butter and oil. However, sometimes I like to drink plain espresso, with nothing added to it. Am I missing out on any of the benefit if I drink the coffee separately that way, and incorporate the butter and oil into my breakfast some other way, like in food? I also, at least right now, can't drink too much coffee in a day, or else I don't sleep that great, so I don't want to do both in the same day to get both kinds of fix.

Thanks!

It's all going in the same place, isn't it? (This phrase has been restructured for the purposes of this thread.)

• The idea is that blending a liquid fat at high speed helps the formation of micelles which make the drink more digestible. 

But other than that there is no problem with having coffee and butter/oil separate if that suits you better.

Interesting, I figured blending did something but I didn't know what. Thanks for the answer.

• Plus, BPC will keep you full for longer, so you won't need to eat solid food until later, which has autophagy and ketosis benefits.

• xandoruxandoru
    edited March 2016

I was curious about this as well, and have tried it both ways.  The thing I've noticed is that the mind and body effects are different when the BPC is high-speed emulsified vs. when fat (even emulsified fat) is "mixed" with the coffee.  The theory that seems to explain this (I think Dave has said similar things on the podcast), is that compounds in the coffee (caffeine, polyphenols, alkaloids, etc.), get bound to the fat blobs, rather than being dissolved exclusively in a polar phase (the coffee's water).  This shuttles them directly to the liver, rather than to the bulk bloodstream.  

As for how it feels, the rush from high-speed homogenized fat-and-coffee is different from that of coffee alone -- it seems to hit more softly and lasts longer with less of a crash (plenty of discussion on the forums about this).  I don't think you get this effect when you blend emulsion-concentrate (or creamer, or heavy cream) into your coffee.  I noticed this after a few days with my emulsion concentrate while on the meditation retreat:  The feel was more like black coffee than the bulletproof coffee I've become accustomed to.

The occasion for trying it both ways was my home routine vs. travel routine.  In the former, it's Vitamix all the way:  top-speed blend for 30 seconds.  When I'm traveling and don't have a blender, I pre-emulsify MCT, Ghee, lecithin and water into a mayonnaise-like substance that dissolves into coffee with a latte-frother (but doesn't shear the coffee compounds into the fat blobs).