Any Increased Likelihood Of Diarrhea & Gallstone Attack On Bp Diet ?

Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the graphic detail i.e. diarrhea .... but need to ask the question.

I have gall stones, and have been able to manage with minimising the amount of fat and type of fat intake for a number of years now, my GP at the time recommended I DON'T have the gall bladder removed because 5-10 years after removal the calcification of the bile can begin in the liver and the likely hood of side effects such as constant heart burn and possible diarrhea after eating fatty foods which I have anyway.

Also, most mornings, after having breakfast I have diarrhea or very loose stools, it has been hard to isolate, because it happens when I have Bacon and Eggs, Cereal with Skim milk, coffee with Milk so it may be the Milk but not sure or a combination.

The question here is, since I am going to be having the Bulletproof Coffee, MCT Oil, Butter, Coconut Oil, all fatty ....

Will this increase the likelihood of me getting a gallstone attack and the good old diarrhea.

Any thoughts and experiences will be welcome.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Diarrhea is probably related to gut health. Add L-glutamine and high quality probiotics for that. I would up the fats very very slowly if I were you, you don't want a gallstone attack. Food enzymes to help with fat digestion are probably a very good idea too. IMO, doing everything you can to not have your organs removed is a GOOD IDEA.

I also wonder - wouldn't Serrapeptase and something like VitalZym be beneficial for gallstones?

I don't really know if it's possible to acclimate to a high diet for you, perhaps over time. You have no excuses to not eat clean BP approved food, though! In fact it would be pure madness to not do that in your case.

But I'm not really qualified to answer, to be honest image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • When I was researching those enzymes for my surgery, the data indicated that enzymes were great for liver, gallbladder, and pancreatic health.
  • RoarkRoark
    edited January 2013
    I would up the fats very very slowly if I were you, you don't want a gallstone attack.

Wait a sec, in my recent thread wondering if this diet increases the risk of gallstones, I thought you suggested that low fat intake would actually increase risk of gallstones?

As far as I'm aware, gallbladder problems primarily occur in low fat diets where it doesn't get enough bile turnover. As such, on a diet with sufficient fat intake, it gets enough workout and everything should be fine.

I'm very concerned now because I just had a second, yet to be diagnosed, attack...not two weeks after the first attack. The most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life, originating in my lower right side and back, accompanied by intense body shaking and nausea lasting for 10-12 hours, and I've been bed-ridden for 3 days since...just now regaining decent mobility.

So, as a 28 year old guy around 10-12% body fat and zero history of medical issues, naturally I'm concerned if this significantly higher fat diet I started just 2 months ago has instigated these insanely debilitating and excruciatingly painful attacks.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd really like some serious clarification on this 'what effect does a high fat diet have on the gallbladder' issue.

I don't have health insurance, but that'll be changing in a matter of days now, and I plan to get every blood test done that I can for clarification on the issue (as the ultrasound after the first attack turned up zero evidence of any internal organ abnormalities).

In the meantime however, any further thorough information on the issue would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I'm terrified of every bite of egg and bacon that I take now, wondering if it's the bite that'll do me in...
    'Lothario' wrote:

Wait a sec, in my recent thread wondering if this diet increases the risk of gallstones, I thought you suggested that low fat intake would actually increase risk of gallstones?
    From my understanding, if you have gallstone issues and you up the fat drastically = a sure fire trigger for an attack. As such, if you are low-fat right now, then you should only up the fat slowly and try to deal with gallstones (perhaps with tons of Serrapeptase; and by taking food enzymes).

You don't have to be high-fat to eat a good, clean BP diet; but you must get some fats to be healthy.

But as I said, I'm not really qualified for this issue specifically, sorry. I'm just sharing some relevant findings that might prompt you to find something.
  • 'Lothario' wrote:

I'm very concerned now because I just had a second, yet to be diagnosed, attack...not two weeks after the first attack. The most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life, originating in my lower right side and back, accompanied by intense body shaking and nausea lasting for 10-12 hours, and I've been bed-ridden for 3 days since...just now regaining decent mobility.

So, as a 28 year old guy around 10-12% body fat and zero history of medical issues, naturally I'm concerned if this significantly higher fat diet I started just 2 months ago has instigated these insanely debilitating and excruciatingly painful attacks.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'd really like some serious clarification on this 'what effect does a high fat diet have on the gallbladder' issue.

I don't have health insurance, but that'll be changing in a matter of days now, and I plan to get every blood test done that I can for clarification on the issue (as the ultrasound after the first attack turned up zero evidence of any internal organ abnormalities).

In the meantime however, any further thorough information on the issue would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I'm terrified of every bite of egg and bacon that I take now, wondering if it's the bite that'll do me in...

(I am not a medical professional)

However, from the symptoms described ( originating in my lower right side and back, accompanied by intense body shaking and nausea lasting for 10-12 hours, and I've been bed-ridden for 3 days since...just now regaining decent mobility.)

From my previous description ( I have lived through many of them so I know them down to every detail) Gallstone attacks the pain originates from the middle of the chest in the region of the Liver (not lower right back side and back) even though there is lower back pain, the main pain is from the centre of the chest or close to it. The gallstone travelling from the Gall Bladder through the Common Bile Duct (the PAIN) into the stomach

The secretion of the bile is triggered by high fatty/oily foods to aid in the breakdown in the stomach.

While I was on a form of Atkins Diet I was getting Light Gallstone like pain, the naturopath told me to use Liptropene (Australia) but the equivalent is Lipotropic Complex, I found on Vitacost.com

The function is below:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
    Promotes Normal Liver Function
    [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
    • Aids in the production and transportation of fats from the liver
    [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
    • Inhibits the accumulation of fat in the liver
    [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
    • Assists in the detoxification of metabolic wastes and toxins
    [/font]

Link below for Gallstone attack

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/gallstones-topic-overview

Link below for Kidney Stones

http://www.medicinenet.com/kidney_stone/page4.htm#what_are_kidney_stones_symptoms_and_signs
  • 'Lesbo' wrote:

(I am not a medical professional)

However, from the symptoms described ( originating in my lower right side and back, accompanied by intense body shaking and nausea lasting for 10-12 hours, and I've been bed-ridden for 3 days since...just now regaining decent mobility.)

From my previous description ( I have lived through many of them so I know them down to every detail) Gallstone attacks the pain originates from the middle of the chest in the region of the Liver (not lower right back side and back) even though there is lower back pain, the main pain is from the centre of the chest or close to it. The gallstone travelling from the Gall Bladder through the Common Bile Duct (the PAIN) into the stomach

The secretion of the bile is triggered by high fatty/oily foods to aid in the breakdown in the stomach.

While I was on a form of Atkins Diet I was getting Light Gallstone like pain, the naturopath told me to use Liptropene (Australia) but the equivalent is Lipotropic Complex, I found on Vitacost.com

The function is below:
    Promotes Normal Liver Function

[font=Arial, sans-serif]• Aids in the production and transportation of fats from the liver [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]• Inhibits the accumulation of fat in the liver [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]• Assists in the detoxification of metabolic wastes and toxins[/font]

Link below for Gallstone attack

http://www.webmd.com...-topic-overview

Link below for Kidney Stones

http://www.medicinen...ptoms_and_signs

Thank you for this info. You were right...the doctor's initial concerns after the first attack were gallstones, but he found nothing. I just ran with his initial concerns, assuming the symptoms may vary from person to person. But after this last attack ran its course, there was blood in the urine, and I knew immediately this must be a kidney issue. My father had a kidney stone, but he described it as burning indigestion...which wasn't even remotely similar to my symptoms. To top it off, I have had no pain urinating, and hadn't had any off color urine until 2 days ago, which is why I resisted the idea of kidney stones. We did a test yesterday at the doctors office though, and there are elevated levels of protein and white blood cells in the urine, so it seems there is a kidney infection probably triggered by kidney stones. Thanks again for the info, you were right on image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Now of course I'm terrified, because I have no idea what could have caused this condition in a seemingly healthy young guy who has only drunken water for years, with the exception of a morning coffee. No idea what to eat or do anymore.
  • 'Lothario' wrote:

Thank you for this info. You were right...the doctor's initial concerns after the first attack were gallstones, but he found nothing. I just ran with his initial concerns, assuming the symptoms may vary from person to person. But after this last attack ran its course, there was blood in the urine, and I knew immediately this must be a kidney issue. My father had a kidney stone, but he described it as burning indigestion...which wasn't even remotely similar to my symptoms. To top it off, I have had no pain urinating, and hadn't had any off color urine until 2 days ago, which is why I resisted the idea of kidney stones. We did a test yesterday at the doctors office though, and there are elevated levels of protein and white blood cells in the urine, so it seems there is a kidney infection probably triggered by kidney stones. Thanks again for the info, you were right on image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />/> Now of course I'm terrified, because I have no idea what could have caused this condition in a seemingly healthy young guy who has only drunken water for years, with the exception of a morning coffee. No idea what to eat or do anymore.

Post a food diary
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • 'Lothario' wrote:

Thank you for this info. You were right...the doctor's initial concerns after the first attack were gallstones, but he found nothing. I just ran with his initial concerns, assuming the symptoms may vary from person to person. But after this last attack ran its course, there was blood in the urine, and I knew immediately this must be a kidney issue. My father had a kidney stone, but he described it as burning indigestion...which wasn't even remotely similar to my symptoms. To top it off, I have had no pain urinating, and hadn't had any off color urine until 2 days ago, which is why I resisted the idea of kidney stones. We did a test yesterday at the doctors office though, and there are elevated levels of protein and white blood cells in the urine, so it seems there is a kidney infection probably triggered by kidney stones. Thanks again for the info, you were right on image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Now of course I'm terrified, because I have no idea what could have caused this condition in a seemingly healthy young guy who has only drunken water for years, with the exception of a morning coffee. No idea what to eat or do anymore.

I hear ya, I think I have been carrying this gallstone thing for around 15-18 years now, It took nearly 2 years on and off, getting the attack, going to the doctor, almost keeling over at the doctor's waiting room, then of course around 45 minutes to 1 hr the stone passes and pain stops. But feel like I have been beaten around with a baseball bat, tired, sore back, really heavy yellow urine, yellow around the whites of my eyes.

Took that long to go to a doctor down the road from where I worked, of course the pain stopped, he asked some questions and then fired the symptoms back at me, then said most likely gall stones, had an ultra sound and then confirmed.

So I have been taking the Lipotropic Complex for years now and have had only a few episodes.

I just started today on Bulletproof diet, with the coffee, had 30g of butter with the Coffee and then another 20g as I felt hungry and all appears to be OK still.

Good luck anyway, keep in touch

See Ya
    'Lesbo' wrote:

I hear ya, I think I have been carrying this gallstone thing for around 15-18 years now, It took nearly 2 years on and off, getting the attack, going to the doctor, almost keeling over at the doctor's waiting room, then of course around 45 minutes to 1 hr the stone passes and pain stops. But feel like I have been beaten around with a baseball bat, tired, sore back, really heavy yellow urine, yellow around the whites of my eyes.

Took that long to go to a doctor down the road from where I worked, of course the pain stopped, he asked some questions and then fired the symptoms back at me, then said most likely gall stones, had an ultra sound and then confirmed.

So I have been taking the Lipotropic Complex for years now and have had only a few episodes.

I just started today on Bulletproof diet, with the coffee, had 30g of butter with the Coffee and then another 20g as I felt hungry and all appears to be OK still.
    Have you considered doing a high dose course of something like Serrapeptase for gallstones? It might be helpful.

• Have you considered doing a high dose course of something like Serrapeptase for gallstones? It might be helpful.

Started yesterday, been on IF for 2 complete days, so far no ill effect regarding the gall stones with the high butter intake, hope it stays like that.

I am still taking the Lipotropic Complex as I have been ...

Easier than expected, felt crap yesterday, today better.
  • I read this thread with great interest as I have been on a very interesting journey and experience for the last 4 months. 

Back in mid June after a 4-5 hour drive to a vacation location I experience the worse pain and physical symptoms that I have ever gone through today. 

Much like Roark, on 18 Jan 2013 - 7:58 PM, said:

I have had these "attacks" for the last 4 months, 5 times being admitted to the ER with no outcome. I have had my upper abdomen and gallbladder ultrasound 3 times looking for stones or Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) and I have had 2 CT scans as well but found nothing.  As I presented with gallbladder all the 7 doctors I have seen have been stumped, even at one point thinking it was a stomach ulcer, which disproven by the C14 Breath test.

I am 35 years old. My history is that I have high cholesterol which is inherited from from my paternal grandfather, I have known about since 2008 and at the time and until Feb this year kept all saturated fats as low as I could possibly keep them. Since I was a child I have never processed animal fats well at all, invariably being sick if I consumed average quantity and then 3 years ago I started getting mild anaphylaxis when I ate lamb. I only know it is anaphylaxis  as I mentioned this to my GP at the time who informed me to not have it any more. Eating pork or beef would just NOT digest at all or take up to 10 hours to finally leave my stomach. So for the last 4 years I stick to Chicken, fish and vegetables all of when with very little oil when cooking. 

Feb 2014 I was introduced to Bulletproof Coffee, which I REALLY enjoyed. As a result I began making it at home as directed every morning with butter and MCT oil.

One Bulletproof coffee a day was ALL I was having, the rest of my diet was the same as it had been for over a year. I stopped drinking the bulletproof coffee when all of this started, because I would and still do get very nauseous when I have any fats. 

After 4 months you would think the issue would either resolve itself or we would figure out that the hell is the matter. I still get the pain but not as attacks any more, Now it is constant and painful and prevents me from working and doing much else than taking codeine pain meds and sleeping (both of which I hate endlessly). Needless to say I miss my work and being able to go out.

But the good news of this story is that well we did in the end find out what is wrong. Biliary Dyskinesia. Fancy words for the fact that my gallbladder no longer works the way it is meant to and due to pressure of the bile in it or it trying to eject bile I end up in a lot of pain. The solution is removal of said offending gallbladder, which I hope happens sooner rather than later. To learn this I had to endure a 2 hours scan with no pain meds and needing to drink a liquid fatty meal.

My conclusion to this posting isn't that I think the bullet proof coffee or diet are bad and can cause damage. Neither do I believe the bulletproof coffee a bad thing that has caused my gallbladder to stop working. All I wanted to point out it that if you are experiencing pain while on this diet or even just having the coffee, take a moment to look at it all a little rationally and almost scientifically. I believe that I am someone (before the gallbladder health issue) should have looked at what the diet and coffee represented to my health KNOWING how I have been all my life with consumed fats. For those who have been having issues with gallbladder and Diarrhea is go and talk to your GP about Functional gallbladder disorder in adults and Biliary Dyskinesia.

To correct a few here, gallbladder pain for those who have not have the pleasure to experience it DOES come from the upper right abdominal area under the ribs the pain radiates to the right shoulder blade. If you are having pain at the centre of your abdomen it might indicate something else eg, stomach ulcer or other conditions. Diarrhea is in fact part of gallbladder issues.

• @Roark said:
    'suntoucher' wrote:

I would up the fats very very slowly if I were you, you don't want a gallstone attack.

'suntoucher' wrote:

As far as I'm aware, gallbladder problems primarily occur in low fat diets where it doesn't get enough bile turnover. As such, on a diet with sufficient fat intake, it gets enough workout and everything should be fine.

-- Hey there, i'm not sure if this message is directed to @Roark or 'suntoucher', but I was wondering what your results were? What ended up happening? What did you do to improve your health? I am starting to have similar issues, my ultrasound came back fine which was super frustrating, my symptoms have gotten worse since upping the fat, i'm 26 active and a healthy weight so i'm not sure what is going on, for the first time ever I feel like carbs are the only thing that calms me down as everything I eat seems to give me anxiety (which I don't normally struggle with). Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hope

• edited October 2018

-- Hey there, i'm not sure if this message is directed to @Roark or @suntoucher , but I was wondering what your results were? What ended up happening? What did you do to improve your health? I am starting to have similar issues, my ultrasound came back fine which was super frustrating, my symptoms have gotten worse since upping the fat, i'm 26 active and a healthy weight so i'm not sure what is going on, for the first time ever I feel like carbs are the only thing that calms me down as everything I eat seems to give me anxiety (which I don't normally struggle with). Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hope

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file