Tickling Sensations At Night + Insomnia.

Hello,

What I am immediately asking for is for people to say if they have a clearer idea than me as to what might be causing the nocturnal tickling sensation given my descriptions below.

I am also asking for suggestions for the cause of the insomnia when it happens without tickling.

For about four months I have experienced tickling sensations during the night, sometimes many nights in a row, sometimes intermittently. No rash, redness or spots no noticeable dryness or other observed skin changes.  This has led to many sleepless nights and many nights of only 2-4 hours of sleep.  The sensations have varied in intensity and recently went away almost completely and were replaced by plain old insomnia.

The insomnia has had a pattern of sleeping 11pm-2 or 3pm followed by wakefulness.  I recently was hopeful I had hacked that with adding tryptophan, L-theanine and raw honey to my existing bedtime regimen of Krill Oil, Magnesium, Ashwaghanda and Brain Octane.  I had a couple of nights of around 6 hours sleep which felt very satisfying.  Then last night using the same supplements and honey, I was awake again  at 3.30am with intense tickling sensations, as bad as ever.  I am now at 10.51 am and still feeling a lot of despair.  Longing to find a way to get my sleep back in my life.  I am desperate.  It is leading to depression and difficulty coping with work and general life.  I have taken 2 weeks of holiday from now.  I am concerned that if I don't restore my sleep I won't be able to handle my job.  

I have considered food intolerances and have had a go at eliminating high histamine and histamine releasing foods including chocolate.  I stopped drinking coffee for about 3 weeks and this didn't seem to make any difference (it was 'upgraded beans' anyway).  

I have considered laundry detergent sensitivity and changed detergent and this made no effect. 

I have worked with reducing stress which seemed to help a bit but not much.  

I have had blood tests and nothing showed up (I am not clear what the doctor tested for).  

I have had a saliva Adrenal Stress Index test and it showed high Cortisol for most of the day and borderline low Secretory Iga.  

I could go into the other things I have tried and considered, mainly so that people don't suggest things I've already tried or am doing but I will leave it at that for now.  

What I am immediately asking for is for people to say if they have a clearer idea than me as to what might be causing the nocturnal tickling sensation given my descriptions.

My prime suspect at the moment is that the tickling insomnia is histamine related, although it seems very different from classical histamine reactions in that there are no hives, redness, inflammation, etc, and that it only happens at night.   Yesterday I did have just a little soy sauce which I haven't had for more than 6 months. It was a tiny amount but perhaps could have been part of a histamine build up?  I eat pretty bulletproof and haven't had noticeable allergic reactions in my life before.  

I am also asking for suggestions for the cause of the insomnia when it happens without tickling.  

My prime suspects for the non-tickling insomnia are stress and/or depleted glycogen reserves (explains why honey seemed to help briefly). 

I also wonder if both tickling and non-tickling insomnia have the same root factors and manifest differently depending on the day. 

I live in Scotland.  I am wondering about health practitioners that could help but presently find it hard to handle thinking about what approach to take and who to trust.  

okay,  that's enough for one post.  Thanks loads for reading.   :smile:

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited March 2016

Paresthesia can be caused by poor nutrition or vitamin defiency. It can be caused from a number of issues: atherosclerosis, arthritis, lyme disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism. I'd go see the doctor and get some blood tests done.

• Paresthesia can be caused by poor nutrition or vitamin defiency. It can be caused from a number of issues: atherosclerosis, arthritis, lyme disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism. I'd go see the doctor and get some blood tests done.

Thanks J-Rock,

I have considered Paresthesia (as described here http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/paresthesia/paresthesia.htm) and it doesn't seem to match but I don't completely rule it out.  Feels nothing like 'pins and needles', or 'numbness'  but akin to being touched by fine hairs or fibres.  I have been to a doctor and had blood tests done and they said the results were healthy. They prescribed me antihistamines which I tried but made me groggy.  And if it's histamine then I want to treat the cause not the symptom.  Now thinking I could try another antihistamine. I guess if it works then that indicates that it is a histamine issue.  I am considering going back to the doc to see what else they think it might be.

Cheers

• Eliminate high histamine foods and see what happens.

• Eliminate high histamine foods and see what happens.

Bye bye bacon, bye bye avodaco, bye bye chocolate,  sob, sob. Didn't seem to work before but perhaps I can try a longer period of a month and see what happens.

• Bye bye bacon, bye bye avodaco, bye bye chocolate,  sob, sob. Didn't seem to work before but perhaps I can try a longer period of a month and see what happens.

As much as I love bacon and chocolate, I value my sleep more. That hurt to say.

• Scabies?  Just throwing it out there.  It causes itching at night...only at night for some reason.

• When I think I'm losing my mind over a bout of tickling sensations at night, I notice for my self that my flealess dog is feeling it too. A mite or something though I've tried to get help from county agricultural extension, they are no help. Seems to be worst when its humid and cold. Last night it stared again with my housemates dog who scratches but has no fleas, I let her up in my bed and felt the tickles within an hour. Best thing I've learned to do is wash bedclothes almost daily and shower morning and night. It will pass.