High Cholesterol

Let me be clear here: I LOVE Bulletproof coffee. There is nothing better than sipping on some warm, energizing, butter-oil coffee after a work-out and a cold shower.

The thing is, I recently took a blood test, and apparently my body doesn't feel the same. My blood is not as well as I thought it would be.

-Triglycerides were below average

-HDL was above average

-LDL was way above average(near the range where I would have to take pills)

My physician told me I would need to take cholesterol-reducing medicine if my blood test three months later showed no improvement. Should I stop drinking the coffee? Start taking the pills? And does this high level of cholesterol mean that I have a higher chance of heart disease and blockages in my blood vessels?

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited March 2016

You really shouldn't drink BPC post workout. You should stick with some protein and carbs. What does the rest of your diet look like?

• Scope some of the real drivers behind all this. Seems to me you have some of the good things in your corner: HDL above average, low trigs... so why run to meds when you have high LDL? This is the classic issue with the cardiovascular scenario. Depending on your age and fitness level and risk factors, you may be totally fine. Get a particle breakdown of your LDL and if you're really that worried about it cut back on the butter which tends to drive up cholesterol for some. Damien at the quantified body was some good stuff on this. Peter Attia also.

• particle size test, as @riggyk said, seems to be, with current research, a LOT more important than total cholesterol. The actual size of the parties is more indicative of potential effects on heart health. On a very simplified level; smaller particles are "stickier" and have a tendency towards accumulation. Larger particles are much less so. Cholesterol is a necessary and critical component of a health being involved in hormone production and transportation, cell membrane health, brain health and many many other processes. 

HDL and LDL numbers by themselves represent a very small (and quite possibly inconsequential) part of the equation of heart (and overall) health. It is part of the fallacy drummed into us since Ancel Keys fabricated and lied his way into our national food and health consciousness. 

• edited April 2016

-Triglycerides were below average

-HDL was above average

-LDL was way above average(near the range where I would have to take pills)

My physician told me I would need to take cholesterol-reducing medicine if my blood test three months later showed no improvement. Should I stop drinking the coffee? Start taking the pills? And does this high level of cholesterol mean that I have a higher chance of heart disease and blockages in my blood vessels?

You WANT your triglycerides to be low. You want your HDL to be high. LDL is simply a calculation and not a reliable health indicator (as has been thought for years). YES! The particle size of LDL is important - get the NMR Lipoprofile test (available at major labs) to find out. Get the book Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman for a layman's version of all this stuff. You'll find out from this and many other reads that the modern medical establishment WANTS you to be on statin drugs but for their benefit and not yours.

• For lots of good information on statin drugs, read all the articles on statins on the site of MIT Senior Researcher Stephanie Seneff, https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/