Started The Rapid Fat Loss Protocol

Hello Ladies (and any rogue men who might be reading the women's section!) -

I started the RFLP yesterday with the hopes of losing 50 pounds, and I guess I am hoping this is a place where I can just kind of share my daily progress in order to 1) stay accountable for staying on the program and 2) maybe get some support along the way from others on the program, or who have done it, or visa-versa be able to offer support / encouragement to others. I decided to post this in the women's section after seeing some of the negative reactions (mainly by men) on another gal's (Amber?) post about doing the RFLP. The ladies just seemed to be a little nicer and more encouraging.

Anyway, a little background. I am 34 yo and about 5'8''. I have a small frame and have been very very slender my whole life. All through my 20's, I maintained a weight of about 130 pounds, sometimes less. This wasn't something I tried to do. I ate crap. So many carbs and sugar, and fast food. I had one of those metabolisms that everyone was jealous of, where I could eat bowls and bowls of pasta and not gain an ounce! And then all of the sudden, about 3 - 4 years ago, I just started gaining weight, for the first time in my whole life. One change that I made around that time was that I stopped taking birth control after being on it for the better part of a decade. I also went off of Spironolactone, which I had been on for acne. I got really into getting healthy, eating better, etc. which is ironic that is when the weight-gain started!

Here I am now, about 60 pounds later, with the weight-gain not seeming to be slowing! I did do a juice cleanse last year and then transitioned to a low carb diet, and lost about 20 pounds, but put it right back on when I fell off the wagon. I know I likely have all kinds of underlying issues. I have taken SO many courses of antibiotics in my life, for everything from acne to you-name-it. I work too much, eat out too much, sleep too little, don't exercise enough, and on and on.

I am getting married in November, and between seeing how I looked in the engagement pictures, and then having to try on wedding dresses this past weekend... well, I am just extremely motived to get this weight off FAST! So, I am going to try this. My goal is 8 weeks and 50 pounds. I started at 183.5 and am hoping to get back down to 133.5. It is going to be difficult, but I really think I can do it. Once I complete this, my plan is to maintain using the regular Bulletproof diet and the principles from the Better Baby Book - as the baby-making will commence shortly after the wedding :wink:  I'm thinking that should be enough time for my body to recover after this extreme program.

I've searched for other posts on this program with the hopes of reading about other people's experiences, but it seems that a lot of them either don't have much success or end up stopping it, or the posts just kind of trail off without posting the outcome. My plan is not to do that. I plan to keep the updates coming for the entire 8 weeks, with the result hopefully being 50 pounds gone at the end of it!

Just a note on the recommended supplements. I already had most of them, as I had already started a pretty intense supplement regimen after reading the Better Baby Book a couple month ago. I decided to keep up with ALL of them during this program, which is a lot more than is recommended for the RFLP. So, the entire list of what I am taking on this program is: Soil-based Probiotic, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Glutathione Force, Vit C, Vit A, B Complex, B-12 plus Folate, Vit D, Vit E, Vit K2, BCAA's, Omega 3 (fish oil), COQ10, Selenium, Zinc, Alpha Lipoic Acid, NAC, Glutamine, Arginine/Ornithine and Magnesium (Natural Calm). Oh, and the Upgraded Charcoal. Yes, my kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy!

Anyway, here goes. This first week, I will do 7 days of the fat fast and then have my reefed day on Sunday since that is Easter. Luckily it's just my fiancé and I, so I can completely control the menu and will not be tempted with non-BP foods for the reefed! I'm dreaming of it already!

Day 1 - Sunday 3/20/16 - 183.5 pounds

Had large glass of water with some "Real Salt" (I hope that is as good as Himalayan salt!) upon waking.

Went to an appt (where I drank more water) and then had my BP coffee after (around noonish). I did 2 TBs each of butter and Brain Octane. I've had BP coffee before, so I knew I wouldn't get the disaster pants.

Made a little "lemonade" concoction to sip on all afternoon. Just water with a pinch of Real Salt, a squeeze of lemon and about 5 - 7 drops of Stevia (this is ok, right?!)

For "dinner", I couldn't fathom just eating butter. Blech. So, I went to Sprouts and got a couple herbal teas and decided that I will make bulletproof herbal teas for my night meals. So, I had a very tasty Organic caffeine-free Chai Rooibos tea blended with 2 TBs of butter and a few drops of Stevia for dinner.

Later, before bed, I had my mug of hot water with Natural Calm.

Was feeling pretty good all day.

Day 2 - Monday 3/21/16 - 180.5 pounds

3 pounds gone! It's prob just water / glycogens, but whatevs, I'll take it!

I thought I would wake up feeling famished, but I actually did not feel hungry at all.

Drank my glass of salt water and got ready for work

Made and drank my BP coffee about an hour after waking and drinking water.

Made my lemonade concoction from above and bulletproof Chai tea to take to work and packed all my supplements for the day.

I felt very thirsty all day and was just pounding the lemonade and then plain water. I know I generally don't drink enough water, so maybe I'm finally hearing my body's signals now that I'm not distracted by food. Or maybe I was just hungry and needed to put something in my stomach.

I was feeling pretty good most of the day, but hunger and a bit of a headache started creeping in around 4:00. I drank a little bit of my Chai butter tea, and then more water. Drinking the rest of the tea now at almost 8pm as I type this. I will drink my hot water with Natural Calm around 9:00 or 10:00 before bed. My head still hurts.

We'll see what tomorrow brings! Thanks for listening! :smile:

Comments

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited March 2016

I personally don't have a problem with you staying and sharing your progress. It just seems like whenever someone creates a profile and mentions starting the rapid fat loss protocol they rarely make it though the first week and then never come back to the forum. That's probably why most of the people here don't have a positive reply or don't reply at all. Dave recommends eating Bulletproof for 2 weeks and getting a few blood tests done before attempting this. Have you done that?

• J - thanks for the response! I get it, but I promise I won't be one of those people! :-)  I am pretty committed to this. And, I ordered my wedding dress 2 sizes below my current measurements, so I have some extra motivation. I've read the Bulletproof diet book, the cookbook and the Better Baby Book. I've been eating fairly clean the last couple years - I source raw milk locally from heritage breed cows, participate in butchering our own soy-fee pastured chickens at a local farm, eat mostly grassfed meats / wild caught fish and raise my own chickens for eggs. My problem is that due to my work schedule, I end up eating convenience foods WAY too much the last year and a half or so, and combined with lack of exercise and not enough sleep, it has NOT been good for me!

As I mentioned, once I get back down to my desired weight, I plan to maintain the Bulletproof lifestyle because I want to be as healthy as possible in order to bear healthy children :-) So, I hope to continue to be an active member of the forum for a long time.

I admittedly did not do the recommended pre-bloodwork. I partly was afraid my doctor would ask why and discourage me from doing this...

• Good luck!  This whole thing is about biohacking for yourself.  I'd be interested in following your progress and seeing how it works for you and no shame if you have to tweak it as you go:-)

• Day 3 - Tuesday 3/22/16 - 179 pounds (down 4.5 total)

By the time I went to bed last night around 11pm, I had a splitting headache and felt horrible - took some Glutamine, NAC and Arginine / Ornithine before bed and got almost 8 hrs of sleep.

Awoke feeling like a brand new person! Headache was gone and I felt pretty good / energetic

Was a little disappointed at having lost only 1.5 pounds as I was hoping for some consistent big losses for the 1st week, but I guess that's still pretty good.

Pretty much the same routine as yesterday. Though for my dinner tea, I made some green tea with 2 TBs butter and a couple of mint leaves from the backyard (I removed them once the tea was steeped). Green tea and butter make a disappointingly un-tasty combination. I liked the Chai Rooibos soooooo much better. It just compliments the butter flavor in a much nicer way.

Did 20 min in the sauna after work to help with detoxing - not sure if that's ok to do or not, but I felt ok so thought it wouldn't hurt.

Overall, felt better today than yesterday. Wasn't as thirsty, but tried to keep drinking water with a little salt all day. Mild headache started in the afternoon again, but never got as bad as yesterday.

I am hungry and thinking about food a lot. I had to skip a team outing at work (baseball game) because I knew all the alcohol and bad foods would be too tempting. Also, my work keeps fresh organic fruit out all the time, and I have to walk by it every time I go to the restroom (which is a lot with all the water I'm drinking). I wanted so badly to just grab a couple pears and chow down!

At least I am mostly dreaming of healthy foods - I am going to kill some eggs and sweet potatoes on Sunday!

• Day 4 - Wednesday 3/23/16 - 177.5 pounds (down 6 total)

So, shortly after I posted my update last night, disaster pants struck! Well, that wasn't fun! It lasted until this morning and my stomach was just feeling sour all morning. I cut back on the MCT oil in my morning BP coffee, and started taking the digestive enzymes. I didn't think I would need them, but I guess I was wrong. It seemed to have helped, because while I've had a generally not good feeling in my stomach all day, I haven't had to "go" since this morning.

Followed the normal routine of lots of supplements and drinking water all day. Had my Chai Rooibos butter tea for dinner.

Overall, feeling ok - just a slight headache today and the sour stomach.

Still thinking about food. I literally had a dream about eating food last night. And I perused the recipes on the forum a little bit today to see if there was anything tasty I want to make for the re-feed day!

• Was too tired last night to post my update, so here goes!

Day 5 - Thursday 3/24/16 - 176.5 pounds (down 7 pounds total)

Was a little bummed at only being down 1 pound, but at least the scale is still moving in the right direction.

I do have one confession. The previous night (Weds), I had a small cheat after I posted my status update. I went in the kitchen to make my boiled water for the Natural Calm, and my stomach was feeling so upset and I was feeling a little weak, and so I ate a piece of bread ("Dave's Killer Bread" is the brand) with a generous slather of raw almond butter. The slices are small - only 13 carbs each. I ate it slow and savored it. It was divine, and made me feel a little better. Was a bit upset at myself for not having the willpower not to cheat, but it was a relatively small cheat (except for the gluten!), and it didn't spiral into more cheats or giving up on the program, so I am ok with it.

Anywho, Thursday, except for the mild stomach upset, I felt pretty good all day. The first day without a headache, so that was good. Also, didn't think about food as much, which is def. good.

My skin is starting to clear up a bit (acne) and I feel (and think I look) a little less bloated / puffy in general.

I've been having wild dreams like every night. I usually dream occasionally, but not every night like this. Weird...

Only a couple more days until re-feed!

• About the weight loss. Stop weighing in every day. The fast weight loss is mostly stored glycogen and water. Then after that some days you may lose a couple pounds and some days none at all. Rely on the mirror and only weigh in once a week. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

my personal take on weighing,

i'm ok with weighing everyday, but for charting a trend, there will be blips, but the trend is what you should be focusing on. 

& weigh under the exact same circumstances every day, 

eg. 1st thing every day after toilet visit & no food/liquid intake.

fake it till you make it

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    You can tie a bow on it but it's still a 600cal starvation level diet. The cals alone over the duration will lower your metabolism, the loss of muscle tissue will further decrease your resting metabolic rate, when you finally go back to eating real food you will immediately gain weight until your metabolism can heal from the damage unless you continue the starvation level dieting and take several weeks to slowly reverse. Calories weren't even this low in the Minnesota starvation experiment, for comparative purposes.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Aspen2009Aspen2009
    edited March 2016

Yeah I planned to start doing weekly weigh-ins after this first week :-)  I was down another pound with this morning's weigh-in, so now down 8 pounds total! Woo-hoo! One more day til I get to re-feed. Went to Whole Foods for supplies after work tonight. Thinking of doing eggs and sweet potato hash browns for breakfast, sweet potato noodles with cashew cream sauce and some veggies and ground bison mixed in for lunch, and halibut with green beans and white rice for dinner. Mmmmmm it's going to be so good.

• I CANNOT figure out how to use that quoting thing! Is it broken?! Anyway, this is in reply to Jason. I have seen your posts on these forums before, so I am well aware that this protocol really pisses you off. I was hoping that you wouldn't comment on my post... that is partly why I am hiding in the women's section. 

I know this protocol probably isn't for everyone. But I think the BCAA supplementation is supposed to help decrease the muscle loss. And also, I think the reefed days are supposed to help with ensuring you don't totally wreck your metabolism. I don't feel like I am starving, but if I start to feel bad, I can always do 2 re-feed days per week or something, or tweak it in another way. I have heard of people doing fat fasts where they eat more of a variety of fats every day, which would prob help get the calories up if I start to feel like I need to.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Far enough, my sole concern yours and everyone else's health and well being, if I said nothing I would just be a horrible person. In all human beings, weight loss greater than 2lbs/week must also include muscle tissue and water along with fat.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • JimmmJimmm
    edited March 2016

There are different ways to do IF. You can do the small daily window of eating (6 to 8 hours) OR a couple days of eating clean, BP and every third or fourth day do a 24 hour fast. Throw in a higher calorie day here and there.

Like Jason mentioned, consistent low calories only slows your metabolism and you lose more muscle than fat. Healthy people want muscle.

Doing IF where you eat daily and exercise might be better for a fat loss goal. ie Have a BP coffee or two between waking and lunch, eat lunch at 1pm, exercise 5pm, dinner 6pm, done eating for 3 - 4 hours before bed.

Weigh in no more than once a week. As you put on muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale can be misleading. A tape measure is a better indicator.

• Aspen...I hope you continue to report your progress. I will be following your suit after my supplies get here - which is hopefully by next week. I am mentally preparing my mind.

• Jimmm - I would love to be able to follow your suggested plan, of eating daily (in the afternoon) and working out. The problem is that I am working soooooo much right now - like 70 - 90 hours per week and finding the time to work out (especially daily!!) is extremely difficult. Though that kind of sounds like an excuse, doesn't it?! Plus, I am impatient and don't want to wait for results!

I plan to continue with this protocol, as I feel ok for now. 1 week down, 7 to go! I really feel like I can do it, though I am questioning if I will lose all 50 pounds this way. Actually, I found out this weekend that my home scale is about 3 pounds off, in my favor! So, I actually need to lose 53 pounds! Eeeek! I guess I will be happy if I lose 30 - 40 pounds in the 8 weeks on this protocol and then I can switch to a more normal bulletproof diet with IF and hopefully continue to lose.

So, here's the latest update. Going into the re-feed day (Sunday), I was at 174 (9.5 total lost). Eating wasn't as great as I thought it would be as I didn't love the meals I chose (except for dinner - baked halibut with green beans and white rice! So good!), and my stomach was a little upset all day. I also had a few non-BP cheats during the day, which I regret - a string cheese, a few of the small York peppermint patties (they were already in my fridge!), and some ice cream (I know, I know, bad!!). Going to try harder to stick to strictly BP foods on the next re-feed!

Oh, I did do a little exercise as well. Hiked about 2 miles in the mountains near my house.

This morning, I was at 177, so I gained 3 pounds, which I think is probably somewhere in the middle of what people normally gain the day after the re-feed. But I think it will probably come off after a day or 2 so I'm not too worried. I would LOVE to be down to at least 169 (in the 160's, which I haven't seen in a long time!) by the next re-feed on Sunday!

Now that I'm refueled, I kind of feel like I'm starting this for the first time, so I think this week will go pretty well, especially since I only need to fast for 6 days (I did 7 days my first week).

I am going to do weekly weigh-ins going forward, so I'll check in on Sunday, and hopefully I'll still be going strong and down to 169! :-)

• edited April 2016

Thank you for posting your progress. I am new to BP and very interested in this protocol as I have about 100+ lbs to lose and while I've lost about 30 so far, I've hit a plateau. Time to switch things up.

I'm curious - I recently started using Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and found that it helps with my joint aches and pains. Because it's low calorie and high protein (literally just powdered protein with no additives), I wondered if adding it to BP coffee would lessen some of the muscle loss in a fast. 

Please keep posting your progress! You're making me feel brave enough to dive into this myself.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited April 2016

Thank you for posting your progress. I am new to BP and very interested in this protocol as I have about 100+ lbs to lose and while I've lost about 30 so far, I've hit a plateau. Time to switch things up.

I'm curious - I recently started using Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and found that it helps with my joint aches and pains. Because it's low calorie and high protein (literally just powdered protein with no additives), I wondered if adding it to BP coffee would lessen some of the muscle loss in a fast. 

Please keep posting your progress! You're making me feel brave enough to dive into this myself.

Collagen isn't going to help prevent muscle loss.

• Bummer.

Would there be any detriment with continuing the Collagen on the fast?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

I guess it could, tho perhaps more generally, the dietary collagen could spare lean body mass, which would include your joints. 

with RFLP you'll likely to be short on glucose (rather than ketones), so the body will produce glucose via gluconeogenesis (GNG) if required ( assuming that your liver glycogen is 'empty' ). 

& the amino acids which will 'feed' the GNG pathway will be glucogenic amino acids

Glucogenic amino acids include; Glycine, Proline and Hydroxyproline, which are all high in collagen. 

just my guess/speculation 

fake it till you make it

• Well, I finished the 2nd week! It was a little easier than the first week in some ways, and more difficult in other ways. Easier because the stomach ache and headaches went away and I felt more "normal", for the most part. Maybe not detoxing as much? Or my body just got more used to eating butter every day haha More difficult in that I was HUNGRY!! I had a few work events during the week and I cheated during ALL of them! 2 involved eating lunch and 1 was a happy hour. I did refrain from drinking though - I just sipped on soda water with lime, but I did nibble on a few tortilla chips and salsa that were on the table.

I lost the 3 pounds that I gained after the 1st re-feed, plus 2 more. So, I was down only a net of 2 pounds going into the 2nd re-feed. So, this Sunday (morning of re-feed), I was at 172, compared to 174 the previous Sunday. I was kinda bummed at not being down more, but at the same time, I did have a few cheats, and at least the scale is still moving in the right direction - total 11.5 pounds lost in the first 2 weeks. And I can definitely feel / see the difference. So, I am still feeling good about the program and planning to continue for 6 more weeks.

This morning, I was back at 174.5 after yesterday's re-feed, so I gained 2.5 as opposed to 3 (from the first re-feed). I'm hoping to be at 168.5 at the next weigh-in on Sunday (that would be 15 pounds total lost). I think I can do it! That's 6 pounds in 6 days, but hopefully the re-feed weight will disappear quickly.

Other than that, I will just say that I like the program so far. Other than feeling hungry and the difficulty in passing on temptations when they are presented, it isn't too difficult. The only time I really cheated this past week was when I was in a situation where it was difficult not to eat, like in social situations where the food was literally right in front of me. But, I didn't seek it out and probably wouldn't have cheated otherwise.

Not making or buying food or planning meals every day is actually super convenient. I make my bulletproof coffee and butter tea in the morning, and that's pretty much it. Later in the week, I start planning for the re-feed, do the grocery shopping on Friday night, some cooking / prep on Saturday and then enjoy the food on Sunday. I really love to cook and be in the kitchen and only having to do it once a week makes it really special and allows me to put all of my heart and soul into it (sounds cheesy, I know!) This week, I made this AMAZING pork fried rice with some organic free-range pork raised by some folks that I personally know. Its been sitting in my freezer waiting to be cooked, but I have been too busy. But since I only have to cook for one day per week now, I can kind of go all out when I do! And I love it! I've got a whole duck sitting in my freezer that I butchered myself. Starting to think about what I can do with that! Duck tacos are amazing, but I know that corn tortillas are not bulletproof. Maybe I can figure out how to make sweet potato tortillas! LOL Or maybe I will just have some organic corn tortillas anyway... we'll see!

Well, I think that's all the update I have for now! Will be back in a week!

• I started the RFLP today after doing 1+ week on BP-IF eating (and prior to that eating very clean with meat, veggies and healthy fats). Reading other people's posts keep me motivated and inspired, plus I learn a lot so thank you to those who post. I'm a 42 y.o. female, 5'7, 157.7lbs. My goal is 135lbs and 125 would be amazing. If I can handle the RFLP I will and, if not, I will go back to IF. 

1. Can you have bone broth on RFLP? I've read everything I can find, but found nothing about this. 

2. Having some heartburn. Is that typical? Any ideas on something to help it?

Otherwise, the first day has been a breeze!

• I finished the rapid fat loss protocol. Pros: faster / instant weight loss, don't have to think about what to eat, felt satiated and focused. Cons: Some of the supplements like the BCAA are really nasty tasting, lots of pills, himalayan salt was nasty, dragged through my workout. 6 days of it - lost at least 5-6 lbs. I was going to do another round but realized that I like working out more and just need to be patient.

• End of 3rd week and down 15 pounds (ok, 14.5!). I weighed in at 169 going into the reefed. Gained 3 back, but that seems to be about normal and consistent with the other 2 refeeds. Still netting 2 - 3 pound losses per week. 5 more weeks to go! Hoping to drop another 15 pounds over the next 5 weeks.

That's all I have for this week... way too busy at work! Still working and its past 1am. I am afraid of how the lack of sleep is going to impact my weight loss this week - it can't be good.

Maybe I will be able to post a more thorough update next week.

• Well done. I take my hat off to you. I can't do this. However I agree with some of the other comments. I have done VLCD before, lost a ton of weight but ended up as skinny fat. Make sure you have an exit strategy when you are done.
  • BPIF and strict adherence to the eating plan combined with HIIT and light resistance training would've probably put you past the 15 pound mark right now. And you'd sleep and feel better.

• I just started the BP RFL yesterday.  I usually follow a low carb diet and drink the BP coffee.

Didn't feel that great yesterday.  Felt a little weak and dizzy.  Also, the only K2 I could find was only 100mcg so I'm having to take 20 of those a day.  Does anyone know where I can find K2 with a higher dosage per pill?  I am 5-1, weigh 135.  Wanting to lose 15 to 20 pounds.  I work out three times a week strength training.  I don't have the energy to do those workouts on this so far.  My goal is to stay with this protocol for 14 days.  But I am taking it one day at a time, hoping to make it through the next day.  Hoping to feel better on Wednesday, Day 3.  I am pretty stubborn so I think I will make it through at least 8 days, which will give me the motivation to stick it out for the full 14 days.

• Hi. I'm only on day 2 of BFLP. I have been looking for some company while on this diet. How is everyone doing? I read that someone said people start but invariable give up and disappear! Would really like to have people to chat to.
  • Hi. I'm only on day 2 of BFLP. I have been looking for some company while on this diet. How is everyone doing? I read that someone said people start but invariable give up and disappear! Would really like to have people to chat to.

I am only on day two. How are you doing? Did you stick with it?
  • Day 5, feel great; cardio & strength training everyday! Can't wait till my refeed on Sunday i.e. refeed, carb-load, feeding frenzy, cheat day (I know; rice & yams - rice for sure & maybe a yam or so, BUT first refeed will be epic and not to strict to say the very very least!)! God Bless you all! I got your back!
    ~Mark~
    <><

• @Aspen2009 said:
    End of 3rd week and down 15 pounds (ok, 14.5!). I weighed in at 169 going into the reefed. Gained 3 back, but that seems to be about normal and consistent with the other 2 refeeds. Still netting 2 - 3 pound losses per week. 5 more weeks to go! Hoping to drop another 15 pounds over the next 5 weeks.

That's all I have for this week... way too busy at work! Still working and its past 1am. I am afraid of how the lack of sleep is going to impact my weight loss this week - it can't be good.

Maybe I will be able to post a more thorough update next week.

Aspen - what's your update? How did the plan go ? Would love to hear more from you.