Kettle Matters

edited March 2016 in Bulletproof Coffee
I just watched daves video on preparing a perfect pour over coffee. He nailed everything Important to a great pour over. I will have to experiment a little with my metal filter. I'd considered that my travel filter but assumed it inferior to paper. I'll be glad if the oils come through better

The one thing that I wished I could shout through the screen to Dave was to order the Hario electric pour over kettle. It's about $90 on Amazon and totally worth it! You want your water about 200 degrees F so you really don't require a thermometer. If the water just boiled, it's close to but definitely less than 212, right? The spout on the Hario allows you to pour with exquisite control. You get a steady, slow, accurate stream that you can place where it's needed, and won't dribble as you reduce volume. The bonavita is cut square at the tip so it's a little less accurate if you're pouring really slowly and trying to cover some anomaly of uneven grounds. The Hario is cut on an angle so the water exits just a little more forward from the spout. That, however, is verging on stupid picky. The bonavita is also nice. When my second one wore out, I switched to the Hario. Using a kettle with the special spout not only improves your pour, it makes the pour even more effortless and contributes to the meditative aspect of it all. And I though only I experienced that. Silly me!

One last thing, spring for the electric. The stove top are fine but you'll want the electric and, if you start with the stove top version, one day you'll be in a daze and habitually place your Hario on the burner only to curse when you realize it's an electric kettle. And the bottom is plastic. And it's on fire.

Fortunately, Amazon has them same day prime

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I take my hat off to you, this is quality advice!

• One last thing, spring for the electric. The stove top are fine but you'll want the electric and, if you start with the stove top version, one day you'll be in a daze and habitually place your Hario on the burner only to curse when you realize it's an electric kettle. And the bottom is plastic. And it's on fire.

LOL