A Lot Of Foods Give Me Loose Stools, Diarrhea, Sometimes Explosive

I am trying to solve this problem since over a year already, despite a lot of effort and consulting, I have not found a solution.

Often I get loose stools, sometimes diarrhea, in rare cases evolves to explosive diarrhea.

I have determined though elimination diets that the following foods are 100% safe and sticking to them only allows me to have perfectly normal bowel movements, without mushy mess and urgency which happens otherwise:

* lean meats and fish (20% fat meat mince gives me diarrhea)

* butter (I can eat any amount and not get any problem)

* sweet potatoes, yams and similar

* romaine lettuce

* one banana a day and even several dragon fruits (pitaya)

* whole fresh coconuts in Asia (water and flesh)

This is about it what I determined of 100% safe foods. Probably there are more, but its quite difficult and time-taking to test, as when I get diarrhea, it often continues for several days no matter what I eat, so I can only test one food a week (if the food fails the test).

Regarding mushy-stool, diarrhea inducing foods there is also not a lot that I am 100% sure, but here is what I know:

* even a small amount of olive oil

* coffee and chocolate (but sometimes I could eat small amounts without problem)

Suspect foods, which testing was somehow doubtful because of interference of other foods:

* rice (but I've eaten sushi fine, but there not a lot of rice in sushi)

* coconut oil

* honey (I eat only raw)

* salt in amounts as little as one teaspoon a day

* inositol

* avocado

* probably rice

* probably some vegetables

Its very difficult to test this, as for many food products it varies wildly with the amount, and I can tolerate some, but over a certain threshold I get diarrhea (and the threshold can vary too). 

What I am planning to do now is testing more foods, by eating for several days only the 100% safe foods, waiting to have perfect bowel movements for a few days, and then introducing just one food, and seeing if it ruins it.

The most interesting is that I can eat any amount of butter (100 grams or more), however even small amounts of olive oil (10 grams or less) give me diarrhea, so this somehow makes fat malabsorption  doubtful, but maybe it is diagnostic?

Also its not only about fats, but also some carbs. The only thing which never gives me diarrhea are pure protein.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Have you looked into the possibility of IBS? And consequently a low FODMAP diet?

• Have you looked into the possibility of IBS? And consequently a low FODMAP diet?

I doubt low-FODMAP is the solution, as olive oil and minced beef fat are for sure big triggers, and they are not FODMAPs.

IBS? I thought about it, but I don't have abdominal pain, cramping, or anything. 

Anyway the term IBS is just a symptom-based label, which doesn't tell anything about the cause of the disorder. It is completely useless to know if I can be classified as IBS or not, because knowing whether I can apply that label to my condition or not, is useful maybe only for statisticians, but gives me exactly zero information why this is happening what is happening, and what to do about it.

I am looking for the underlying cause, not a useless medical symptom-based classification.

• Do you reach similar macronutrient quantities daily? Do you go on longs fasts? Could be from changes in your guts biome.

What kind of supplements do you take? Do you think that could be causing it?

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• edited March 2016

Do you reach similar macronutrient quantities daily? Do you go on longs fasts? Could be from changes in your guts biome.

What kind of supplements do you take? Do you think that could be causing it?

My macronutrient quantities vary, but from my experience if they are from my "safe foods list", its irrelevant. Simply certain foods and condiments give me loose stools or diarrhea when eaten. When I went to a restaurant in Thailand, and ordered some beef, which unfortunately was contaminated with some unknown sauce, despite explaining very clearly to the waiter several times, that I need the beef to be without any spices, condiments, sauces, any additives, just clean, unseasoned beef. Still what I received was clearly dipped in something of unknown origin. I should have refused the meal, but I was trying not to be too anal, so I ate it. It didn't even taste good, the beef itself wasn't good too, just some dry overcooked piece, despite my instructions to have it medium rare. I was angry, but didn't say anything, I just didn't tip even one Baht. For the next week I had to go to the toilet multiple times a day, often shitting almost water. For the rest of my stay in Thailand I was eating only what I cooked myself, New Zealand lamb and sweet potatoes, not eating any local food.

Later on, when staying for a week in Kuala Lumpur, and a few days in Singapore, I had perfectly firm stools too, and then besides meat, butter and root vegetables, I was eating often dragon fruit, bananas and whole coconuts (water and the flesh too). My stools where then more perfect then ever, toilet paper was not even slightly dirty, and bowel movements where with ease, but no urgency.

Things where going good until I visited my family for Easter, and eaten some things I haven't been eating recently for a long time, including chickpea soup (a legume), leek, potatoes (nightshade), coffee of unknown origin (I haven't drank any coffee for a long time, but just a week earlier I had cold brewed coffee from a fancy organic shop, and it didn't give me diarrhea), and a cake made with this recipe http://autoimmune-paleo.com/sweet-potato-pie-cheesecake/ Again after this I was going to the toilet 5 times a day for several days, with watery defecation.

Supplements I take are not causing it. When I keep to my safe-foods list (meat, sweet potato, butter, romaine lettuce), I take all my supplements, including 9 grams of ascorbic acid a day, and have perfectly firm stools.

I know how I can keep my stools firm, eating only my safe foods (meat, fish, sweet potato, yam, butter, romaine lettuce, banana, coconut, dragon fruit, probably some more things I haven't confirmed yet) I can keep firm stools forever and never get diarrhea. But I want to be able to eat a larger variety of foods, and be able to have a bit of chocolate, coffee, honey without having watery mush coming out of my bowels for the following week.

• I'm suspecting the romaine lettuce may be one of the culprits. It's nothing but water and fiber.

• I'm suspecting the romaine lettuce may be one of the culprits. It's nothing but water and fiber.

No, the romaine lettuce is one of the few things I am totally sure is not a problem, I have been eating it in large amounts every day during long periods I had a perfectly firm stool.

• Have you tried a probiotic? I was using this http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Gr8-Dophilus-60-Veggie-Caps/635 and it helped with my diarrhea, but John Brisson says it's not a good probiotic. I started taking Primal defense, which should be a better probiotic, but I feel it doesn't help as much with diarrhea compared to that Now Foods supplement.

• Have you tried a probiotic? I was using this http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Gr8-Dophilus-60-Veggie-Caps/635 and it helped with my diarrhea, but John Brisson says it's not a good probiotic. I started taking Primal defense, which should be a better probiotic, but I feel it doesn't help as much with diarrhea compared to that Now Foods supplement.

Yes, I tried 24-days of ELIXA at 500 billion CFU a day, so in total I put a 12 trillion CFU in my gut, which is very significant, considering the total amount of CFU in human gut is estimated at 100 trillion.

Actually towards the end of the 24-day cycle and soon after it I had very good stools, and was able to tolerate quite a lot of fruits, which were giving me diarrhea much more easily before. It was all good until I ate a few things at my family on Easter holidays, and since then I can't get it back to normal still.

The probiotic might have helped, but just a little bit, given such a massive dose over 24 days. And the only thing it helped for was sensitivity to fruits, other things give me diarrhea just as easily as before.

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited April 2016

Natren makes some of the best probiotics.

• I had something similar going on in the last couple of years. After trying almost everything, eventually I followed John Brisson's SIBO-D protocol. Best decision ever. The problem went away and never came back.

I posted about it here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/15317-my-sibo-plan/

• I had something similar going on in the last couple of years. After trying almost everything, eventually I followed John Brisson's SIBO-D protocol. Best decision ever. The problem went away and never came back.

I posted about it here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/15317-my-sibo-plan/

Actually I already did John Brisson's SIBO protocol from the FixYourGut book, around year 2013/2014. And maybe coincidentally that's when my diarrhea problems started.

I did a strict low-FODMAP diet, oregano oil, MRM Cardio Chelate (Calcium Disodium EDTA), Kirkman Labs Biofilm Defense.

Also used tons of Betaine HCl for several months, which at some point started giving me loose stools, so I stopped the Betaine HCl, and they got better.

Last year I also used peppermint oil for some time.

Nothing really helped much.

At the moment I am in a state when even eating only safe meals still I have loose stools.

Yesterday I was eating some raw Sockeye salmon, 640g of sweet potato and 125g raw butter, and during the meal I had urgently to go to the toilet. It was not totally liquid, but just the urgency, and having to go to the toilet during a meal, is wrong.

• Peppermint oil and oregano oil never seemed to help me. I think the berberine was good though. Have you noticed if it gets temporarily better after antibiotics?

• Peppermint oil and oregano oil never seemed to help me. I think the berberine was good though. Have you noticed if it gets temporarily better after antibiotics?

I have not taken an antibiotic for over 10 years I think. Unless you count oregano oil, but that was 2 years ago too. Never taken berberine. I read its mostly used against diabetes, and can actually cause diarrhea in large doses.

I am reluctant to try things which can actually make it worse. I have the impression that everything I tried, including John Brisson recommendations, don't really have any effect on the general status of the condition, and that the real cause is somewhere else then where what anyone is recommending me thinks it is.

I thought about salicylate sensitivity, as olive oil, one of the diarrhea triggers is very high in salicylates. 

Maybe even its not just one problem, but several unrelated problems, with different triggers. Olive oil, coconut oil, coffee, chocolate, beef fat (but now butter).

It did get temporarily better after the 24 days of 500 billion CFU a day ELIXA probiotic, but it might have been a coincidence, as I was eating the right foods then too.

• I have just realized something very interesting: eating dragon fruit (pitaya) completely stops my diarrhea, mushy, watery stools and gives me a firm stool. This fruit works like magic for me. It is a bit strange, as when I Google about it, its touted as a remedy for constipation. It almost gives me constipation (nothing else I tried has a similar effect).

Any idea why, and what other foods might work? Dragon fruit is hard to come by in Europe.

All websites repeat after one another that dragon fruit helps in digestion because of its high fiber content, but if you look at nutrition data, 100g of dragon fruit has only 1 gram of fiber. 100g of sweet potato has 3 grams of fiber. So much for "high fiber content". I eat 15-25 grams of fiber total per day from all sources, so I'm sure that the extra 1.7 grams from the dragon fruit I ate didn't make much difference. There must be something else to it.

• I've read that dragon fruit enzyme helps remove heavy metals, which can cause diarrhea. Maybe try a spirulina or chlorella supp?