Problems After Cancer

Hello dear knowledgable bulletproofers:) my mother now 67 survived tough cancer treatment, radiation and chemo. This is 4 years ago, but the last year her overall condition has detiriorated severly. She looses her balance and can hardly walk anymore and she is going more and more into dementia, from forgetting what she has said till thinking she is places that she is not. Doctors say they cannot do anything and we cant get anything but a shoulderraise. There must be a reason why she has aged 20 years in ten months and is there someting to be done?

Thank you all in advance

Best regards mathis

Comments

• I am not a doctor nor a naturopath, but I would suggest a low carb diet (preferably a ketogenic diet containing whole, organic and unprocessed foods) in combination with anti-inflammatory supplements (like curcumin) and supplements targeting at nutrition deficiencies like for example, vitamin D3. (Identify those deficiencies through tests first). High doses of vitamin C may also be beneficial. But I feel restrained to give advice to (former) cancer patients so please consult an holistic doctor AND a regular GP first. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

i would be wary to suggest a keto diet for someone who has had cancer...

i have not seen any evidence for keto diets for cancer patients, perhaps in a 'petri dish' (in vitro).

i know this is an ex-cancer patient, but still(?). 

i have actually seen a few studies that suggest keto diets may be a bad idea for cancer patients, tho i have only glimpsed at them. 

here are a few; 

Ketones and lactate increase cancer cell “stemness,” driving recurrence, metastasis and poor clinical outcome in breast cancer

Tumor growth in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex on the ketogenic diet

Long-term High Fat Ketogenic Diet Promotes Renal Tumor Growth in a Rat Model of Tuberous Sclerosis (rat study)

fake it till you make it

• Thank you so much:)

• i would be wary to suggest a keto diet for someone who has had cancer...

i have not seen any evidence for keto diets for cancer patients, perhaps in a 'petri dish' (in vitro).

i know this is an ex-cancer patient, but still(?). 

i have actually seen a few studies that suggest keto diets may be a bad idea for cancer patients, tho i have only glimpsed at them. 

here are a few; 

Ketones and lactate increase cancer cell “stemness,” driving recurrence, metastasis and poor clinical outcome in breast cancer

Tumor growth in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex on the ketogenic diet

Long-term High Fat Ketogenic Diet Promotes Renal Tumor Growth in a Rat Model of Tuberous Sclerosis (rat study)

so do high fat diets cause cancer?

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 8

related discussion;
    "SNR #169: Chad Macias - Cancer Metabolism & Caution Over Ketogenic Diet/Ketones"
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode169/
    " In this episode we discuss:
    How ketones have the potential to accelerate tumour growth in some cancers.
    Why you can’t “starve cancer cells” with a ketogenic diet.
    The complexity of cancer.
    Is cancer a genetic disease, metabolic disease or both?
    Issues with the way some cancer research is being interpreted and communicated.
    Criticisms of the conclusions being made based on the experimental models used.
    Why recommending cancer patients embark on a ketogenic diet is premature & potentially counter-productive.
    "

fake it till you make it

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Human Studies "Sixteen patients with advanced metastatic tumors participated in the study. The patients were instructed to follow a Ketogenic Diet (less than 70 g CHO per day). One patient did not tolerate the diet and dropped out within 3 days, two patients died early, one stopped after 2 weeks due to personal reasons, one felt unable to stick to the diet after 4 weeks, one stopped after 6 and two stopped after 7 and 8 weeks due to progress of the disease, one had to discontinue after 6 weeks to resume chemotherapy and five completed the 3 month intervention period. These five and the one who resumed chemotherapy after 6 weeks report quality of life remained stable or worsened"
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749855

A retrospective analysis of five children with tuberous sclerosis on a ketogenic diet because of untreatable epilepsy did not reveal any influence on brain tumors
    http://www.brainanddevelopment.com/article/S0387-7604(09)00136-3/abstract

A case report of two children with brain tumors on a ketogenic diet describes a reduction of glucose uptake in PET-CT. One girl died one girl survived for several months.
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.1995.10718495#.VtjOi5wrLIU

In an Older study a ketogenic diet with high amounts of omega-3-fatty acids was fed enterally to patients with cachexia from cancer. The authors did not describe a positive effect on cachexia or on the course of disease
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/47/1/42.abstract?ijkey=0d9e77f75d8418d3637a29359dde4f0989e233fa&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Even though most cancer cells can't use their mitochondria very well there is still plenty of glucose in the blood even when on a ketogenic diet. In vitro experiment shows you need to get glucose down 1mmol/l, then cancer cells die within a few days.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

Some forms of cancer have shown to adapt to ketones,and thrive, some have not. There is not one unifying treatment, you can not say that ketosis cures cancer, to suggest it is misleading and irresponsible.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • edited March 10

@HGR said:
    I am not a doctor nor a naturopath, but I would suggest a low carb diet (preferably a ketogenic diet containing whole, organic and unprocessed foods) in combination with anti-inflammatory supplements (like curcumin) and supplements targeting at nutrition deficiencies like for example, vitamin D3. (Identify those deficiencies through tests first). High doses of vitamin C may also be beneficial. But I feel restrained to give advice to (former) cancer patients so please consult an holistic doctor AND a regular GP first. 

There has been research supporting a ketogenic diet for cancer, Vitamin C to target cancer 10x better then pharmaceuticals, and fasting. Although these methods are an option, a whole foods, unprocessed diet (something similar to Bulletproof) would be the most advisable.

One thing that doesn't get enough attention, is that while diet is crucial, keeping a good attitude, laughing, and being with family are all important factors to a good health. Best of luck to you!

It is what it is.

• Stephanie 'keto' Person used a keto diet to help her mom,who had cancer at the time.
    So,maybe it makes a difference as to what type of cancer someone has?

It has been suggested that brain cancer (Glioma) cannot utilize ketones for energy consumption and therefore would "starve" if patients were placed on a ketogenic diet.........Schwarz et al. using a ketogenic diet as a monotherapy in patients with Glioblastoma observed expression of two critical mitochondrial ketolytic enzymes, advancement in tumor growth and creation of new lesions during a 12 week trial. "It has been proposed that energy-restricted ketogenic diets (ERKD) might serve as a metabolic treatment to improve survival of primary brain cancer patients. Subjects were trained by an experienced registered dietitian (RD) to assure competency for adherence to the ERKD protocol. The energy-restricted ketogenic diets protocol was to be administered for 12 weeks as medically appropriate. The patients were monitored with twice daily measurements of blood glucose and ketones and daily weights. However, both patients showed tumor progression while on the energy-restricted ketogenic diet therapy. Immunohistochemistry reactions showed that their tumors had tissue expression of at least one of the two critical mitochondrial ketolytic enzymes succinyl CoA: 3-oxoacid CoA transferase, beta-3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase 1. These data suggest that some of the malignant cells in these patients’ cancers could metabolize ketones and derive energy for subsequent growth"
    https://cancerandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40170-015-0129-1

• I would like to suggest you to contact your doctor and discuss about all the things relative to your mother's health. There might be a chance of having some side effects of the treatment received earlier or there might be some other problem with her health which need to be taken care off.

• My mom died of cancer last year. Even before then I knew that some cancer types are circulating in my family so I researched them.
    There are specific diets out there to heal cancer patients with natural means. One well known is the Essiac tea cure, another one is from a German lady that within her life time has cured cancer patients with a a very basic very simple diet that has to be adhered to religiously.

When regular medications don't help and modern medicine is not helping many patients flock to natural methods.
    I myself would not consider modern medicine much if I contracted cancer. Removal of a tumor is all I would allow modern doctors to do. The rest I would only address with natural means, but of course that would be my own choice and I would bear all responsibility.