Diet - If What Am I Doing Wrong?

Started BP Diet 2 months ago.

Routine is:

- Morning around 8 AM get a BP with 20/30 Grams of Grass-Fed butter and 2/3 teaspoons of Octane Oil

- Lunch around 1.30PM: one big salad with lot of veggies and olive oil + a big avocado + one potato (not BP i guess), either some meat or tuna and eventually some almonds covered with cacao one hour after lunch

- Dinner around 7PM: Saute of organic veggies with organic Coconut Oil or a salad (with Octane Oil), grass-fed meat or Wild Caught Fish, sometimes a couple of Sweet Potatoes or Organic Chips, lactose free yogurt with BP Collagen and BP cacao powder or one of the dessert that are in the BP cookbook (my preferred one being the Clafoutis)

Drink 1 cup of Puer Thea, around 1.5 to 2 liters of  water with lemon and a couple of glass of San Pellegrino at Dinner.

Every Wednesday i do 20 minutes of Kettle bell or run sprints in the park. On these morning i add 2 tablespoons of BP collagen to my morning coffee and eat extra proteins at lunch and extra carbs for dinner.

I try to do once a week a Protein free day but missed it the last 2 weeks

Cheat days: on Sundays i have a Pizza (cant help it, i am Italian) but i am mostly gluten free the rest of the time

I am 5.9 ft and weight 176lb, mostly trying to get rid of my belly and gain some muscles.

So far i haven't lost a pound nor grown any muscle. I have bought some Keto Sticks and i have tested my urine this morning and at lunch and i am always iNegative

No Alcohol, no cigarets

Comments

• Hey Jason,

I know but for now i am trying to stick to Dave's principles not to exceed 20 minutes of exercise per week.

I am not aiming at being mega ripped but i am quiet thin by nature (except for my beer belly which took me years to perfect) and wouldn't mind a bit extra muscles. Just carrying the groceries is quiet challenging for me.

The BP books states that just by following the diet i should start loosing my extra fat which is not happening.

I have stopped drinking alcohol for 3 months now.

I want to start slow which is why the 20 minutes HIT Exercise routine attracts me.

Thanks for the heads up anyways

• When you say you don't have ketones in the urin on that diet I get curiuos if you have looked at blood glucose? For some reason your cellular enviorment is still set to burn carbs rather than fat.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• I guess i would need to make a blood sample to have it tested

I have almost totally cut out sugar, i have replaced it with Xylitol/Erytrhitol wherever possible in coffe, cakes,...,i have never liked fruits anyways except some raspberrys a couple of times. No soft drinks, soda at all.

• Ok. But you need to count the sugar alcohols as well since they are converted to sugar in the body. If you don't see urin ketone (acetoacetate) you are getting to much carbs.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• I guess i would need to make a blood sample to have it tested

I have almost totally cut out sugar, i have replaced it with Xylitol/Erytrhitol wherever possible in coffe, cakes,...,i have never liked fruits anyways except some raspberrys a couple of times. No soft drinks, soda at all.

Cakes??  lol that's already too much carbs right there. 

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Cakes??  lol that's already too much carbs right there. 

BP approved: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-cupcakes/

• To

Those actually look awesome!

From my experience i find that for weight loss,it's a good idea to stay away from treats like paleo treats or even BP treats.  I also stay away from nuts and nut butters and yogurt for sure.  The reason is that calories do matter.  Not in the In and Out sense, but no matter what if you're eating more then you burn, then you will not lose weight.

Are you feeling hungry? Cravings?  Dave always says, and it's true for me, that you should be able to go 5 hours without eating and that's how you know you're on track with your last meal.  That is also how you know you're in fat burning mode, not sugar burning according to Mark Sisson and also my experience.

I'd recommend doing an induction like phase where you cut everything out except meat, veggies and fat and high fat, moderate protein in order to switch to fat burning mode And eat as much as you need in that period of those real foods and whenever you need.   You'll know when you made the switch when you can go more then 5 hours without eating.

• Thomas_BPThomas_BP
    edited May 2016

When you say you don't have ketones in the urin on that diet I get curiuos if you have looked at blood glucose? For some reason your cellular enviorment is still set to burn carbs rather than fat.

your remark about blood glucose is making me think a lot actually. 

What happened is last week i went on a one week thalassotherapy trip in France, i spend most of my time in 36 degrees (96.8 Farenheit) heated clean sea water (still doing the BP diet). I felt really cool the whole time, i went back yesterday and used my ketostix, to my surprise it showed i was in mild ketosis, i checked my scale and i had lost 6 pounds in a week.

Now what i am thinking is that i get so stressed out during normal weeks (and mostly because of my job) that for some reason my blood glucose is too high and i cannot get into ketosis, does that make sense?

• You are having to much carbs to get in nutritional ketosis. I can only have a total (non-starch veggies and a handful of berries) of 35 gr of carbs a day and 69 gr protein to stay a fat burner. I only have 1 sweet potato on my re-feed day.

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

I can get into ketosis, identifiable by ketostix fairly quickly by doing strict BP IF.

I've learned to throw in more carbs here and there after 2-4 days to counteract the eventual cravings and diminishing returns I experience.

kind of an intermittent BP IF

for the heck of it, be strict with the diet as mentioned previously. maybe record your food + calories to establish a reference point.

how much protein are you consuming? 

it's good to keep records so you can think about it later if something isn't working out, or even better if it is.

i've thrown myself out of ketosis in the past(5-15 years ago) when doing  strict low carb by eating too much protein because I was ravenous; something BP with all the fats helps quite nicely.

• Thanks for the heads up, i certainly should be more careful about my protein intake. I can eat twice a day a 200 gr steak so i am already beyond my recommended threshold (if i follow Dave's rule i.e. 1.5 gr of proteins per pound of body weight, i should limit my protein intake to 264 gr per day) plus i add 2tbsp of collagen protein to a smoothie here and now.

I'll make efforts on the carbs and Proteins.

BTW when i talked about cakes i only cook BP cakes from the books, only BP cupcakes and clafoutis.

• gnoobergnoober
    edited May 2016

ditch the cheat day, ditch the carbs, ditch the nuts, ditch the dairy, replace tuna with wild caught salmon. Steam your veggies in glass or steel, then just add butter at the end, so you dont oxidize it.

cronometer.com is great for calculating your food macros.

Get a good source of grass fed beef and/or lamb. eat enough of it.

maybe add whey&collagen in a 1:1 ratio. Great lakes gelatin makes a good collagen to switch to, if you are not using grassfed already. 1:1 ratio is optimal as to daves recommendations.