Testosterone: Fats With Timing, Esp With Semi-Fast Or Days With Poor Diets

Olav007Olav007
edited April 2016 in General Discussion

Would like recommendations on fat-sources for long term Testosterone levels and how to time it, esp. with semi-fasting '(similar to bp) and occasional days with poor diet.  

Are there any "super-foods" for T which will not disturb a semi-fast to much (Oysters?  Shrimps?).

To what extent is dayly input and timing of it importance for long term Testosterone levels?

About me:

I have a long "morning program", so if I have breakfast, it is about 90min after getting up.

I often do "semi-fast" (like BP) in the morning (without any breakfast at all).  

If I have MCT, it is usually not very early.  The same with coffee

(Bulletproof coffee with fats are not practical right now).

I often eat a little bit (and seldom fast) before going to bed.

Background:

I am quite sure my T has gone down, but it is perhaps not low for my age.

I often read that you should take stuff for T late in the evening or early in the morning.  I am not sure how early, what is most important (of evening/morning), or if you need both.  Also which recommendations are about short term boost, free testosterone or production of testosterone?

Tagged:

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

Imo, a semi-fast is an oxymoron. Typically timing is of very minimal importance and is dwarfed by the overall macros you eat every day. Timing usually helps with consistency, but overall it's not worth paying that much attention to. Unless you subjectively feel worse/better doing certain timings, it's really just overkill.

Do not discount the fact that you might need more carbs for optimal testosterone levels for your particular body. This depends on training levels, stress, genetics and all that non specific stuff.

The only true answer is testing and going by blood-work, everything we might suggest is just a guess at best.

• Olav007Olav007
    edited April 2016

With semi-fast I mean having stuff like MCT perhaps Glutamine, BCCAs, Collagen, essentially very little carbs and not boosting Insulin.

(A bit like DAs rapid fatloss protocol).    I am thinking some super-foods are  a bit the same (but I usually move from "fasting" to "semi-fasting" around noon.

There are many people, including Tim Ferris, talking about timing, are you saying it doesn't matter, is not very important, or only matter in the short term?

Is the timing of carbs important?

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

I'm not saying it's not important, I'm saying that unless you are doing elite level athletics or have some specific goal, it's way down on the list to the overall eating profile. How you feel is the deciding factor for timing by my book.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Though nutritional timing is not ultimately important (compared to total intake and macro breakdown), it remains true that for the optimal result, the best time (not the only time) to consume carbs is close to training and to consume fats is during rest, from an energy systems perspective.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • Olav007Olav007
    edited April 2016

(Timing)Do you guys have specific knowledge about T?  Or is this just general? I think morning/evening is often recommended because of the time T is produced.  But of course they have in mind people with a normal meal cycle, and eggs are "natural" in the  morning.

In the day+ perspective, substances like Vitamin C, are very short term, while say A, D and B12 is more long term.  I don't eat perfect every day,so that timeframe is also important. 

I am esp thinking of fats for T coming with food, like cholesterol in eggs.  Also fat with significant calories like MCT (Which I would normally take late in the morning because of this) [Will update question]

Though nutritional timing is not ultimately important (compared to total intake and macro breakdown), it remains true that for the optimal result, the best time (not the only time) to consume carbs is close to training and to consume fats is during rest, from an energy systems perspective.