Diabetes

I am intrigued by the Bulletproof Diet but Durian Rider (on You-Tube) has stated that Dave Asprey has diabetes. Is that true? Because that doesn't recommend the diet.

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    Don't waste your time on what random people on the internet say.

If you're interested in the Bulletproof diet read the scientific references.
  • edited April 2016

So it's not true? Durian Rider believes in a high carb-low fat vegan diet. From what I can see, the Bulletproof diet is the opposite: high-fat, low carb. It sounds like a diet I tried years ago where you were supposed to get into a state of ketosis. I lost about five pounds.

I just did some research. This diet is called a "ketogenic" diet. It's not quite the kind I tried. That was high protein. And it's not Paleo. It's something like the diet recommended by Norman Walker. Lots of salad, avocados, egg yolk.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Durian Rider (on You-Tube) has stated that Dave Asprey has diabetes

giphy_zpsjlvey2zz.gif

Is Bulletproof Insulin the next big thing?

I'd LOVE to see where Durianrider made that claim. Do you have a video or something?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

So it's not true? Durian Rider believes in a high carb-low fat vegan diet. From what I can see, the Bulletproof diet is the opposite: high-fat, low carb. It sounds like a diet I tried years ago where you were supposed to get into a state of ketosis. I lost about five pounds.

I just did some research. This diet is called a "ketogenic" diet. It's not quite the kind I tried. That was high protein. And it's not Paleo. It's something like the diet recommended by Norman Walker. Lots of salad, avocados, egg yolk.

No it's not true.

Whatever works for you in terms of macronutrients depends on your goals, environment, biology, individual preferences/sensitivities etc. The Bulletproof diet is about nutrient density, lack of anti-nutrients, it's about making you feel full, about fixing your gut, making your brain work better, optimizing your hormones, balancing neurotransmitters, and the like. This resulted in a diet that is relatively higher in certain kinds of fat, moderate protein, and relatively low in carbohydrates.

There's a lot to learn and to try to see what works for you, but that process is worth every investment. This forum is just one of the thousands of sources that are online so feel free to ask around.

These are some good places to start:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/start-the-bulletproof-diet/

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1232-bulletproof-notes-cheat-sheet/

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1318-bulletproof-supplements-nootropics-guide/

• giphy_zpsjlvey2zz.gif

Is Bulletproof Insulin the next big thing?

I'd LOVE to see where Durianrider made that claim. Do you have a video or something?

http://youtu.be/7_QinA60D2U

Who knows what Dave's health is like other than Dave and maybe his doctor? Same goes with durianrider. Although it's probably harder to fake having good health for very long if you're actually engaging in athletic endeavors.
  • Here's Durianrider's video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7_QinA60D2U"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm glad to hear it's untrue.

That video is so ridiculous. Metformin has been used by biohackers for life-extension purposes, no? IIRC Jason H did an experiment with it some time back. Using Metformin doesn't make one a diabetic, necessarily, and putting out a video calling him diabetic is kind of a dick move. Guy puts out hit-pieces like this all the time for views, though.

And, yeah, Dave could theoretically have a crapton of illnesses we don't know about. His health could conceivably be in shambles. Maybe he heads off to dialysis three days a week after the podcasts. But I rather doubt it. I'm all for playing devil's advocate and ragging on Dave when it's warranted, but this Durianrider thing is pretty damn silly, IMO. Dave isn't the superman he sells himself as, either, of course.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• "Metformin has been used by biohackers for life-extension purposes, no?"

Really? I didn't know that. I had diabetes which I healed (using the high-carb vegan diet). When I had the disease, I was on Metformin. I didn't know it had any other use than the one I put it to. I have stopped using it as I don't have diabetes. But if it has other uses known to biohackers, this is of interest to me as I still have a supply.

"And, yeah, Dave could theoretically have a crapton of illnesses we don't know about. His health could conceivably be in shambles. Maybe he heads off to dialysis three days a week after the podcasts. But I rather doubt it."

I do think the health of someone advocating a health regime is relevant. That's why I brought this up. I'm interested in this diet and I'm seriously investigating all claims pro and anti. I am doing the Bulletproof Coffee and Brain Octane Oil thing with great results.

• Good results are good results, if it works do it. Track what matters to you and you'll find out what works for you. Inform yourself as much as you can but keep in mind that the health and nutrition world is similar to politics and religion in terms of biases, dogmatism, mud-slinging, etc.
  • I talked to Dave about this personally.  Back when Dave weighed 300lbs, he was in the pre-diabetic range.  After losing the weight, his FBG has been normal.  Dave has used metformin as a biohacking tool.  It has been shown to increase mitochondrial function.  As the 1987 version of Skeletor points out, I too tried this protocol about a year ago.  I was in no way happy with my results and it took me about three months to recover.  I won't touch the stuff again.

But if it has other uses known to biohackers, this is of interest to me as I still have a supply.

**not that I personally recommend using it for these other purposes. I'm not a doctor or scientist, nor do I have any personal experience with Metformin. Like others have said, do some research and find out what works best for you. For my money, the BP diet is among the best, but that's me.