Bulletproof Shepherd's Pie

Ground beef, red cabbage and carrots and mashed cauliflower are cooked and then layered on top of one another and finished off in the oven. My boyfriend devoured this dish. It is delicious!

Bottom Beef Layer [Ingredients]

1 pound of grass fed Angus ground beef

Optional thickening gravy: Half cup vegetable stock and 1 tablespoon of coconut flour

Directions:
  1. Cook ground beef on medium-low with 1/2 cup of water.
  2. Optional: I added a few dashes of cayenne pepper (breaking open cayenne pepper capsules)
  3. Move beef to baking dish.
  4. If making gravy add a half cup of vegetable stock and 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour to the pan you cooked beef in.
  5. Stir and once it thickens a bit add another 1/2 tablespoon. It should thicken quickly.
  6. Pour over beef in baking dish.

IMG_2062.JPG

Middle Red Cabbage Layer [Ingredients]

Tablespoon or two of bacon grease Tablespoon of butter

Three leaks white part only sliced

Less than 1/4th head of cabbage shredded

Two carrots diced

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon mustard

Directions:
  1. Put bacon grease and butter in pan and heat on medium.
  2. Throw in the leaks and cook for a few minutes then add the cabbage and carrots.
  3. Add apple cider vinegar cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium-low.
  4. Spoon on top of beef in baking dish.

IMG_2064.jpg

Mashed Cauliflower [Ingredients]

One head of cauliflower

3 to 4 tablespoons of butter

Bunch of chives chopped

Bunch of thyme chopped

Salt as desired

Directions:
  1. Chop cauliflower and steam until tender.
  2. Put butter and steamed cauliflower into a food processor or blender.
  3. Blend to desired consistency.
  4. Spoon on top of cabbage in baking dish.

IMG_2065.jpg

Sprinkle some fresh thyme on the top (I also added a little bit of chopped chives).

IMG_2066.jpg

Bake on 350 for 15 minutes, just enough to crisp up the mashed cauliflower a bit.

IMG_2069.JPG

And Enjoy!
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Julia's Bulletproof Meals [shared via a public Evernote folder][/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]connect: blog, twitter, facebook, instagram[/font]
Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks Julia!
  • This looks awesome, will try this weekend
  • Sound great.
  • Made this today and ate it for lunch and dinner. It tasted real good. The inside was a little to watery but tasted great. The cauliflower on top really add to the pie. It was so creamy and good. I really like the red cabbage and acv combo. Tastes great in the German red cabbage side too.
  • 'Leonard wrote:

Made this today and ate it for lunch and dinner. It tasted real good. The inside was a little to watery but tasted great. The cauliflower on top really add to the pie. It was so creamy and good. I really like the red cabbage and acv combo. Tastes great in the German red cabbage side too.

Add more coconut flour or brown rice flour will sap up the liquid
  • I made this tonight, it was divine. Thank you for the recipe. A must for all Bulletproofers
  • Yeah I love it too. I Also like the way you brown meat with some water. I will do this for now on whenever browning meat. The cauliflower blended with butter and salt is so great on top. The contrast between meat and cabbage with acv to cauliflower is awesome.
  • Made this last night. Subbed parsnips for cauliflower puree. OMG, amazing. Def best thing ever on BP diet, Keep these recipes up!
  • Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    Just want you to know I made this tonight and it was amazing. I could not believe how much the cauliflower actually tasted like mashed potatoes, maybe even better.
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • I will make this tonight. Thanks so much!
    Ricky
  • I made this last night for the third time. I love it. After blending cauliflower with butter and some salt. I tasted to see if there was enough salt. I noticed how much it tasted and felt like cream of wheat cereal. I was thinking about trying to add some sweetener and see how it tastes.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    The trick with salt is that you need to spend some time learning how much to actually use. Make some cauliflower mash when you've got spare time one day... and have a plate of salt sitting on a set of kitchen scales. Zero the scales and then start adding pinch by pinch. Typically this is done without scales, but we're quantifying, people!

Add a pinch, mix it right in - maybe using the blender - and then taste it.

Add another pinch and repeat the process until you get to the point where you think "ok, that tastes salty now, gross!"

You've just added only one pinch too many. The correct amount is n(pinches)-1. Throw the batch out and look at the kitchen scales. I bet you've used about 4-5 times more salt than you thought you needed. Now that I've said 4-5x, will you scale up your expectations and come back and say "No, Aaron, I only used twice what I thought I'd need! YOU WERE WRONG!" image/icon_razz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-P' />

This is especially important when you're cooking with acids (vinegar, lemon juice - and not that we use tomatoes here, but tomatoes!). You'll use more salt when an acid is involved. Carboxylic acid groups love sodium image/icon_cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cool:' />

No sorcery, just science. 

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    That method is very good, however what I do is I grab my grinder then I started grinding the shit out of it until my hand hurts. Blend it up, taste it, if its not enough salt I do it again and voila. Mashed potatoes.

Salt and butter is my baby, baby.
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • I find that my taste for salt changes depending on the day and exertions.
  • I'm making this again tonight with white cabbage!
  • Check the quote area on Julia's post, she has a link to a few BP recipes she is sharing with us.
  • i made this tonight with the addition of turmeric in the cauliflower. it's one of the most delicious meals i've had this year!

• Thank you so much for this recipe! I'm new to Bulletproofing my lifestyle and I definitely miss comfort foods.

I tried the recipe and liked it- oh my goodness the cauliflower! So delicious. I think next time I'll mix up the cabbage layer a bit, maybe some more leek?

One question- what's the deal with the mustard? It's on the ingredients list for the cabbage layer so I ended up adding in some prepared mustard but I wish I hadn't. Did you add some mustard into yours?

Thanks!

• I tried this recipe this 2 days ago and I loved it. Thanks! this will probably quickly become one of my new staples.

• Ooooo this sounds yum! I've been working on a BP shepherds pie. Your recipe is way better....and more BP :) going to make this weekend!
  • Hmmm...Going to have to try this one.  I think my husband will enjoy it as well.

Mary

• I made the shepherd's pie recipe tonight for dinner, with our ground beef from the free range, pastured meat we just picked up from our butcher this week.  My husband loved it and said it was the best shepherd's pie he'd ever had.  Yes, it was quite good.  Now I know what I'm going to do with at least some of the ground beef in my freezer.  :)

Mary

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

I've made this twice now and it is phenomenal so thank you for sharing. the only question i have is i don't cook the meat in water, are you not then pouring some of the fat down the drain with the water if you don't make the gravy?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• What's wrong with sweet potato on top, that's what I do?
  • Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

What's wrong with sweet potato on top, that's what I do?

Haha nothing is wrong with sweet potato on top if you need the extra carbs but you should at least try this recipe the way it's laid out. Why not have a 4th layer of sweet potato? That's what I do  ;)

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I tried making this yesterday, and wow, amazing recipe. Easy to follow and despite me fudging up the sauce it was an excellent meal. Thank you :)

• Oh my goodness! My first day on Bulletproof & I followed this delicious recipe! Thank you so much. My only problem is not eating the leftovers designed for tomorrow! I need a lock on my fridge!  xx

• This is my favorite BP recipe by far. I've made it 10+ times now. Bring out a book or something!

• Welp.

This is amazing. Kindest thanks.

It seems to like to fall apart the way I make it... any thoughts on reducing that?

• i signed up just to say how good this is. Easy and delicious. Even our kids (2 & 4) loved it.