Prebiotics - Can I Take Arabinogalactan Instead Of Galactomune?

I have been taking Klaire Labs Galactomune to feed my bugs, but its very expensive: 530 USD a year at 5 grams a day.

For 100 USD a year I can take 5 grams daily of Swanson FiberAid Larch Tree Arabinogalactan.

Is there any good reason to pay over 5 times as much for the Galactomune prebiotic, or can I save a lot of money and take Arabinogalactan instead, and it will feed the bugs just as well?

Tagged:

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I have been taking Klaire Labs Galactomune to feed my bugs, but its very expensive: 530 USD a year at 5 grams a day.

For 100 USD a year I can take 5 grams daily of Swanson FiberAid Larch Tree Arabinogalactan.

Is there any good reason to pay over 5 times as much for the Galactomune prebiotic, or can I save a lot of money and take Arabinogalactan instead, and it will feed the bugs just as well?

Why are you planning on taking prebiotic fiber 365 days a year? Why not just eat foods with prebiotic fiber every day, and use GOS as a short term course of treatment to address occasional issues? 

• Why are you planning on taking prebiotic fiber 365 days a year? Why not just eat foods with prebiotic fiber every day, and use GOS as a short term course of treatment to address occasional issues? 

So what foods that have prebiotic fiber do you recommend?

Then why prebiotic supplements exist at all, why not just eat prebiotic foods always?

I don't really understand this fiber thing...

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

So what foods that have prebiotic fiber do you recommend?

Then why prebiotic supplements exist at all, why not just eat prebiotic foods always?

I don't really understand this fiber thing...

See what works for you, but many colorful veggies and some starch seem to be common starting points.

The idea is that different bacteria like different types of fiber, so different prebiotic supplements should, in theory, alter your bacteria ratios by increasing the populations of whatever bacteria they are feeding. GOS may be more likely to feed the most beneficial bacteria while not feeding the problematic bacteria. 

Such as described here: http://fixyourgut.com/recommended-prebiotic/

In this way, a short-term usage of some specific prebiotic fiber might increase levels of some bacteria, decrease levels of other bacteria, and then those ratios might be maintained by just eating fiber-rich foods.

But there's a lot we don't understand, and studies on this are both fairly new and also often run the problem of testing poop for dead bacteria, which are shed from a healthy gut anyway. To my mind, the idea that to have healthy guts we should take large doses of pro-or-prebiotic supplements made in factories indefinitely year-round seems very suspicious. Diet should be able to maintain a healthy gut. But if I took a course of antibiotics (leading to an unhealthy gut), I certainly might consider taking a course of pro/prebiotics afterwords as a short-term intervention. 

However, it's worth noting that another possibel reason "why prebiotic supplements exist at all" is the same reason some general supplements exist at all: because people will pay for them and companies like money. Just because someone's selling it doesn't mean it will help you, or even that it won't hurt you. 

• See what works for you, but many colorful veggies and some starch seem to be common starting points.

The idea is that different bacteria like different types of fiber, so different prebiotic supplements should, in theory, alter your bacteria ratios by increasing the populations of whatever bacteria they are feeding. GOS may be more likely to feed the most beneficial bacteria while not feeding the problematic bacteria. 

There are not many foods which contain a significant amount of GOS.

Besides beans and lentils (which I don't eat, for many reasons, one of which they need lengthy preparation: soaking, long cooking, making it unpractical), the only food which contains them (in significant concentration) is Jerusalem Artichoke, which I would need to eat 65 grams a day to get 5 grams of GOS. That's 24 kg a year. I see then for about 5 USD per kilo, so a yearly supply would cost 120 USD. Seems reasonable actually. Much cheaper then Galactomune certainly.

I wonder how long they keep, as you can only get them in some specialty shops, so its not so practical to source them every week as shipping or travel to the shop will cost significantly more then the Artichoke. It would only be practical if I can keep them for a month or two, buying several kg at once.