Macro Ratios And Weight Gain

I know there have been a million posts like mine, which most I have already read- however I have not figured out my MACRO RATIOS with this diet as I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT. I have read the entire book two times, torn through the forum posts along with additional online research. PLEASE to someone who is well versed can analyze what I am doing and give me guidance-I would seriously appreciate it!

BACKGROUND: I am a 31 yo female, and for my adult life I’ve been 122-124 lbs without really trying. I have celiac so I’m naturally a strict GF and seemed to gravitate toward a high protein diet/paleo with consequently little carbs. Not that I was scared of them, I just found it easiest to pick up a protein and feel full throughout the day without effort. Diet consisted of mostly salads, veggies, chicken, fish and steak (I know, no real signs of intentional fat intake either). I would eat them when they were there but didn’t seek them out. OK energy level, ok sleep, consequently developed adrenal issues (now realizing diet most likely was contributor). All labs currently within normal limits, no thyroid issues.

NOW: Last October I started gaining steady weight with no change in diet or lifestyle. I am now 133 lbs. I know that is not a drastic gain in the big picture, but for me 10lbs in 4 months is a lot. I don’t feel good in my clothes or in my body (swollen, bloated, etc). I began researching and came across the fact that it could be due to so many years of too much protein and not enough carbs/ fat and my body finally gave up. That is when I found the BPD. So, I have jumped all in. However it’s been 2 weeks and I have gained 3 more lbs since starting. I am following the book and blogs to a tee however the only positive I am finding is a sustained energy level throughout the day which is motivating me to figure this out.

Daily BP intake and daily macro percentages:

Ketogenic fast- 8pm-12pm

Breakfast- 1 8oz cup Matcha BP with 1tbs KG butter, BP vanilla and 1 tsp BP MCT (couldn’t tolerate more than that or stomach would hurt).

Lunch/dinner example- 18ox cp bone broth with 4oz chicken and 1tbs butter along with ½ avocado… or chicken with salad/veggies and MCT oil over it, etc…  

Night- also take “biotic fiber” for the GI issues- 1-2tbs inulin FOS, 1tbs acacia gum, 1 scoop powdered greens

Snacks (not everyday)- 1 tbs butter in another Matcha, coconut chips or celery in BP mayo or cold protein.

Protein fast/ carb refeed day- 100g-199g fat, 80g carbs, no protein.

Supplements- Krill oil 1gm night, potassium citrate 200mg BID, Vit D3 8,000U daily, Kit K2 MK4 2000mcg daily, Vit C 1g BID, Kelp/Iodine 1mg daily, NAG 4000mg daily

Activity- Currently none besides my 2 mile walk to work and back living in NYC.

MyFitnessPal app tells me I need to eat 1430 calories/day for my body profile goals therefore my macro goals are 36g (10%) carbs (as per BPD mostly at night), 119g (75%) fat and 54g (15%) protein. Above menu gets me close to 10% protein, 73% fat and 17% carbs. These percentages do roughly fall in line with BPD books recommendations. However it is someone confusing when he recommends less the 20g carbs to stay in ketosis through the night and AM. (I have been testing with ketostix and have never been positive).

I know this concern might be premature however I would like to get this figured out before I gain more weight. One problem is that I CANT PHYSICALLY INGEST MORE FOOD (if that is the answer.) I mean I feel sick if I try and put more down then what I am doing. I am full between meal times. This is why the other blog responses are hard for me when they say “you just aren’t eating enough.” If that’s the only answer then I am not sure I can do this especially when the BP book says “eat until you are full then stop.”  I am putting a 1tbp Kerrygold butter cube on EVERY MEAL I eat to supplement.

SO. Here it is. Sorry for the length. I just want to be a comprehensive as I can. I don’t want this to be a temporary diet but a modification to my lifestyle so please help in any way you can.  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Comments

• I don't know how well I can answer your exact question about macro ratios, but a couple things came to mind while I was reading your post.  Hope ya don't mind.  

Probably others would agree that if you're generally not hungry between meals and are enjoying your energy levels, that you are definitely doing something right.  If other things are concerning you, such as weight gain, from what I've been hearing from reputable sources, this likely has more to do with inflammation/digestive/hormonal issues, than simply dialing in your macros.  If you aren't getting much for results with your ketostix, maybe you could still use a little more fat in your diet.  Have you tried a gradual increase of the MCT in your Matcha?  Perhaps lipase would help.

It does sound like you've got a lot of great stuff in your diet.  With the chicken and avocado, however, I wonder if you may be getting more omega 6 fatty acids than what would be ideal.  Just a thought.

I don't know much about the MyFitnessPal app, but I will say that if I had a doctor (let alone an app) that told me to count my calories, my correct response would be to find a new doctor.  Speaking of doctors, do you have a functional medicine doctor you can trust, that may be able to help you test things such as inflammatory markers and omega 3 blood levels?  It's a really good idea to take the guess work out as much as possible.  Before I discovered bulletproof coffee, I was on a practically no-carb diet, trying to fill up on salads with lots of olive oil.  I spent way too many years trying to be my own doctor, and paid the price.  That diet practically destroyed my digestive system, and I couldn't handle much MCT oil until I healed my gut.  I did find a good doctor who told me I could stand to eat some carbs like sweet potatoes.  She also told me that my body is not a science experiment.

I would guess that you are on the right page and the right track.  I hope things get a lot better for you fast!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Protein fast/ carb refeed day- 100g-199g fat, 80g carbs, no protein.

MyFitnessPal app tells me I need to eat 1430 calories/day for my body profile goals therefore my macro goals are 36g (10%) carbs (as per BPD mostly at night), 119g (75%) fat and 54g (15%) protein. Above menu gets me close to 10% protein, 73% fat and 17% carbs. These percentages do roughly fall in line with BPD books recommendations. However it is someone confusing when he recommends less the 20g carbs to stay in ketoacidosis through the night and AM. 

I know this concern might be premature however I would like to get this figured out before I gain more weight. One problem is that I CANT PHYSICALLY INGEST MORE FOOD (if that is the answer.) I mean I feel sick if I try and put more down then what I am doing. I am full between meal times. This is why the other blog responses are hard for me when they say “you just aren’t eating enough.” If that’s the only answer then I am not sure I can do this especially when the BP book says “eat until you are full then stop.”  I am putting a 1tbp Kerrygold butter cube on EVERY MEAL I eat to supplement.

Quote edited only to show what I'm responding to...

80g carb is hardly a refeed day, especially if you're not subtracting fiber from that number. If your theory is that your long-term high protein / low carb / low fat diet caught up to you, you should know you're still eating a wildly low carb diet. One recent blog post suggested a 150g carb refeed day (which I believe is way too low, plus Dave has said women often need more than one per week) and here's some data showing 1000g carbs may be required to fully replenish glycogen. Everyone gains water weight during refeeds, don't sweat that if/when it happens to you. 

Does your 1430 a day set up a caloric deficit? It must because it's super low. Even if you're only 5 feet tall, at your age and weight, that's a significant caloric deficit (if you've used a BMR calculator, don't forget to multiply by the Harris Benedict equation.) If you've been low calorie for a while, you may need to take some time to build back up to maintenance calories before attempting a cut. BTW it's probably just a typo, but make sure you don't mention ketoacidosis to your doctor! That can kill you, it's ketosis you're talking about. 

OK, probably the most important thing: I have noticed that when I am low carb, my appetite is suppressed to the point of being unreliable. When you said you feel stuffed and can't eat more, that definitely resonated. Part of the BP diet involves suppressing hunger somewhat through ketones, but it seems to work too well for me, and the BP diet also suggests not counting calories and going by hunger. When I did this, it put me in a serious caloric deficit. I have also noticed many other people come to the forum that seem to have my problem, and when they finally do count calories they're super low, like yours. Certainly this is a minority of people, but a sizable minority. "I feel stuffed on 1500 calories!" That means something is wrong. When I discovered my mistake by finally counting my calories, I had to build up calories slowly week by week, and I felt stuffed the whole time. Eating felt like a job. But once I finally got to where my maintenance calories should be, I could feel hungry with only a few hundred calories below maintenance - meaning I could feel hungry nearly 1000 calories above where I was when I was feeling stuffed. Your body can and will adapt to more food if you make it. That said, carbs like white rice tend to make it easier to add calories, because the feeling of satiation doesn't seem to last as long as from fat/protein. 

Also are you sure none of your weight gain is muscle? 

(I have been testing with ketostix and have never been positive).

If you aren't getting much for results with your ketostix, maybe you could still use a little more fat in your diet.  Have you tried a gradual increase of the MCT in your Matcha?  Perhaps lipase would help.

Ketostix frequently fail to tell the whole story in people who have been low carb for a while. Urine strips measure excess ketones, so if your body has had practice using ketones, you won't pee out extra. A blood ketone meter is really the only reliable testing device over the long run. There is a breath testing device (Ketonix) but in a head-to-head test ketonix vs blood ketone meter it doesn't seem that reliable.

Lipase is a good idea for fat malabsorption, but I wouldn't diagnose that with urine strips. 

• marilgenmarilgen
    edited March 2018

Hi there,
    I know it’s 2 years later, but wondered if you ever figured it out? I am in my 2nd month on BPD. Lost 6 lbs in the first week, and stayed within a couple of pounds since then. I should be able to lose at least another 20, but even if I lost 10 more, I’d be ok with it.
    I’m trying to tweak things: raise and lower my carbs and proteins, etc...
    My Fitness Pal has also suggested 1430 cals for me. I’m eating on average 1900 cals per day, due to the requirements on BPD, because I’m trying to get in at least 112 g protein per day and stay within the macros. I feel like I’m doing everything right.
    Wondering if any other woman was having similar issues, and if so, did she ever solve the problem?.

• I know there have been a million posts like mine, which most I have already read- however I have not figured out my MACRO RATIOS with this diet as I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT. I have read the entire book two times, torn through the forum posts along with additional online research. PLEASE to someone who is well versed can analyze what I am doing and give me guidance-I would seriously appreciate it!

Hi there,
    I know it’s 2 years later, but wondered if you ever figured it out? I am in my 2nd month on BPD. Lost 6 lbs in the first week, and stayed within a couple of pounds since then. I should be able to lose at least another 20, but even if I lost 10 more, I’d be ok with it. I’m 46, 5’7 and 166lbs.
    I’m trying to tweak things by raising and lowering my carbs and proteins, etc...
    My Fitness Pal has also suggested 1430 cals for me. I’m eating on average 1900 cals per day, due to the requirements on BPD, because I’m trying to get in at least 112 g protein per day and stay within the macros. I feel like I’m doing everything right.
    Wondering if any other woman was having similar issues, and if so, did she ever solve the problem and how?
    I’ve been thinking of cutting down my calories to 1600. I really am at my wits end at this point and don’t know what to do.
    Thanks,
    Maria

• I have been going through this EXACT same thing!! Have you figured any of it out yet? I feel I have gained weight as well, however my sleep and energy are fantastic! I am a full on protein eater so cutting back on protein was/is hard for me. If I get hungry I always grab for a protein rather than a fat. I have been trying to have the BP collagen protein bars as my snack now.

Any luck with ketostix? I have had the same problem. They are always negative.

Thank you any input but help!

Cheers!

• (I’m sure this comment will be lost here but....)
    1st, the goal shouldn’t be weight loss but fat loss. I’m still perfecting this (as a male) but to my understanding and experience, while in ketosis, even moderate exercise can allow your body to burn its own fat for fuel. That should be the goal.

CONSIDER:
    gluconeogenesis? Too much protein can convert to glucose and if not “burned” like any carb can store as fat just like any excess fructose, glucose or converted carbohydrate does. Although, gluconeogenesis is a slow process where it would require a steady excess of protein to cause continual weight gains/fat storage. Too much protein can also take you out of ketosis. My goal is to eat enough protein to maintain and/or increase lean muscle mass.

Consider, a handful of high quality walnuts, pecans, almonds and dried blue berries and 100% cacao as a breakfast instead of protein. Larabar Crunchy Nut & Seed Bars are good for me.

I’d also switch from MCT/XCT to Brain Octane Oil as it further tricks your body into staying in ketosis.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

@Humble Jordan said:
    CONSIDER:
    gluconeogenesis? Too much protein can convert to glucose and if not “burned” like any carb can store as fat just like any excess fructose, glucose or converted carbohydrate does.

Hi Humble,
    ^ Have you seen any recent research that backs this up...
    I get the feeling from the ~blogosphere that more people are viewing gluconeogenesis as demand driven, and as such there should be no excess glucose.

fake it till you make it