"mimicking" The Fasting Mimicking Diet (Self Experiment)

edited April 2016 in Anti-aging

I've posted a lengthy writeup of my recent experience replicating the "Fasting Mimicking Diet" (based on a study that was published in Cell Metabolism and funded by the National Institute of Aging), where researchers found that cutting daily calories in half for just 5 days every 30 days reduced biomarkers for aging, diabetes, heart disease and cancer with no adverse effects.

The main guidelines are:

• Day 1: Total caloric intake of 4.5 to 7 kcal/lb of body weight (10% protein, 56% fat, 34% carbs)
  • Days 2-5: Total caloric intake of 3 to 5 kcal/lb of body weight (9% protein, 44% fat, 47% carbs)

Which for me translated to 774 total calories on day 1, and 516 total calories on days 2-5

1ac4ab85df7b0ef2940e951a549248921f88f9a3

I was able to lower my fasting glucose from the low 80's to the mid 40's (mmol/dL) while steadily moving from "nutritional" ketosis to "optimal" ketosis.

78a47b3b7a1a24689ac1cddbd1152c1632b8f683

I experienced a slight loss of weight and body fat while maintaining muscle mass (usually fasts have a catabolic effect), and huge rebound effect to testosterone upon refeeding. And such vivid dreaming and mental focus!

My post contains a lot of data points (along with the Google spreadsheet I used for the experiment).

Has anyone else done any fasting-related experiments?

Comments

• That is a fantastic write up.

What is the reason to keep protein so low during the fast? Would there be negative effects to have whey protein and keeping the calories low, like a smoothie with veggies and whey?

• That is a fantastic write up.

What is the reason to keep protein so low during the fast? Would there be negative effects to have whey protein and keeping the calories low, like a smoothie with veggies and whey?

Thanks! Regarding protein, the FMD is technically low protein AND low carb, and relies on plant-based sources. Just the protein from vegetables can put you over the daily protein limit quickly. Think of it as an extreme case of a BP protein fast :) I was simply following/reverse engineering the FMD as described in their patent (so I avoided any protein supplementation, but feel free to experiment!). Personally, I would bring down protein intake even more in exchange for consuming more fats! Raw vegetable also provide dietary fiber (I used cauliflower and avocados), which can help with maintaining "regularity" :)

• Got it. This seems like it would be useful if used regularly, much like a protein fast.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

low protein will force autophagy and inhibit mTOR which. I am currently doing my own version of it. basically with broccoly soup and BP coffy and brussel sprouts. starting month 3 next week. 

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• do you do this on exercise days? 

• do you do this on exercise days? 

No, best to avoid any strenuous exercise or sports while doing the FMD. I went for long walks and spent some time in the sauna :)

• edited May 2016

Just wanted to chime regarding exercise...

I did the FMD with Bob.  We followed the same protocol but on day 2 I did a 6 mile Spartan type run.  It felt pretty good!  I didn't really notice a huge impact on performance. It really kicked my sugar/ketone ratio into high gear.  Sadly, I accidentally ate too much that night and things retreated and it took another full day to get back to the therapeutic zone.  I'm not saying you should exercise hard, but I'm not sure it's detrimental either.

Here is my progress for anyone interested.

I converted blood sugar to mmol/L just to make the scales equal.  The Glucose/Ketone Ratio uses a logarithmic scale.

58lAJ0K.png

• Thanks Bob and Jeremy for this! :-)

I used the info on your site as inspiration/template... I'm on day 2 now. I do the FMD together with my mom and sister - so it's a little family adventure ;)

We basically do the suggested kcal/macro guidelines..

I have a few questions maybe you can help me with? :-)

1. Would incorporating some DHA in algae form be a good idea? In the patent it says: "600 mg of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, algae-derived) are provided during the entire 5-day period.". Why not more? ~300 mg a day or in that ballpark?

2. Being a plant based approach - would incorporating butter (or ghee) or heavy cream fuck up the whole idea? 

3. Supplementing Magnesium in the evening - good or bad?

• Thanks Bob and Jeremy for this! :smile:

I used the info on your site as inspiration/template... I'm on day 2 now. I do the FMD together with my mom and sister - so it's a little family adventure ;)

We basically do the suggested kcal/macro guidelines..

I have a few questions maybe you can help me with? :smile:

1. Would incorporating some DHA in algae form be a good idea? In the patent it says: "600 mg of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, algae-derived) are provided during the entire 5-day period.". Why not more? ~300 mg a day or in that ballpark?

2. Being a plant based approach - would incorporating butter (or ghee) or heavy cream fuck up the whole idea? 

3. Supplementing Magnesium in the evening - good or bad?

Sorry, somehow I missed your comment. How did your FMD experiment go?

Our intention was to achieve the macro and micro nutrient breakdowns as closely as possible, as well using plant-based sources per FMD guidelines.

Based on my experience, would I increase % fat intake vs. carbs? Sure. Would I add some additional supplements to provide support to organs/systems (magnesium, milk thistle, etc.)? Sure. But then it's mainly just become my own n=1, customized version of FMD. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's no longer the FMD.

My advice would be to initially follow the FMD exactly as outlined for one cycle, then based on your experience tweak as needed and monitor the affects those changes make.

• Awesome post, I love the detail.
    Do you find that your sleep schedule varies on 50% calorie days?