Onnit Emulsified Mct - Good For Cold

So, not sure if you guys are aware... Or even if we're allowed to post external products here, but I thought Tis might be good for those looking at cold BP coffee (I've seen a few threads about this here)

https://www.onnit.com/emulsified-mct-oil/?pid=2937

I've ordered the three pack, will revert with more info once it arrives and I try it...

Has anyone tried this? What are your experiences/thoughts?

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    are you sure you want/need the lauric acid (c12)

fake it till you make it

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited April 2016

It's a cool idea, but for me the price isn't worth it. Onnit are brilliant marketers, and they can charge premium prices because of it. I'm generally in favor of companies charging as much as the market is willing to pay for their products. I'm also in favor of breaking down and comparing those prices.

In this case, Onnit smartly changed their packaging size, kept the serving size the same, but because of the emulsifiers you get half the fat per serving as regular MCT. If you do the math, emulsified MCT costs >3x as much per gram of fat as other high quality fats.

Onnit Emulsified MCT: ~15¢ / gram of fat

Onnit regular MCT: ~3.5¢ / gram of fat

BP MCT: ~3.4¢ / gram of fat (single 32oz bottle) 

Brain Octane: ~5¢ / gram of fat (single 32oz bottle) 

Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate: ~5¢ / gram of fat

In a pinch without a blender, I don't mind doing a tablespoon shot of Brain Octane or eating delicious dark chocolate, and I haven't had a problem with hand-stirred salad dressing I make with MCT oil separating. So for me the price isn't worth it. 

• I'm wondering more and more whether there's any real benefit to Mct oil besides inducing ketosis in people who are trying to achieve that state. It's always hyped as something that increases fat burning, but it IS a fat, so doesn't that pretty much cancel itself out? Then there's the claims of "cognitive enhancement", but I am not sure if I've experienced anything like that that I can't attribute to placebo effect. I've taken a break from it for the past week or so, no "brain fog" (dun dun dunnnnnn!...cue twilight zone theme).

Almost everyone here takes Mct oil every day I'm guessing, anyone have any strong reasoning why?

• It's a cool idea, but for me the price isn't worth it. Onnit are brilliant marketers, and they can charge premium prices because of it. I'm generally in favor of companies charging as much as the market is willing to pay for their products. I'm also in favor of breaking down and comparing those prices.

In this case, Onnit smartly changed their packaging size, kept the serving size the same, but because of the emulsifiers you get half the fat per serving as regular MCT. If you do the math, emulsified MCT costs >3x as much per gram of fat as other high quality fats.

Onnit Emulsified MCT: ~15¢ / gram of fat

Onnit regular MCT: ~3.5¢ / gram of fat

BP MCT: ~3.4¢ / gram of fat (single 32oz bottle)

Brain Octane: ~5¢ / gram of fat (single 32oz bottle)

Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate: ~5¢ / gram of fat

In a pinch without a blender, I don't mind doing a tablespoon shot of Brain Octane or eating delicious dark chocolate, and I haven't had a problem with hand-stirred salad dressing I make with MCT oil separating. So for me the price isn't worth it.

• Hmm this is true.

For me it was the novelty and convenience of just stirring a couple of spoons into my coffee at the office (at home I make my BP coffee properly).

Thank you for the price breakdown.
  • edited April 2016

are you sure you want/need the lauric acid (c12)

This has always been in the back of my mind. I've heard Dave talk about c8's and Lauric acid.. But I've never actually researched what the difference is.

I got this more for convenience of getting in some fat at the office (with my coffee) before I get to lunch. I still have my regular BP coffee at home

EDIT:

Looks like majority of it is c8
    https://d1mw810az0fgpz.cloudfront.net/images/product-page/ingredients/emulsified-mct-oil.png?20160425:14:04:41
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I wonder if you could emulsify your own MCT oil, & save some $$$. If you could be bothered.

First try would be just MCT oil & water 50/50 & emulsify.

The other listed ingredients (after water) are; gum arabic, natural flavors, sorbic acid

fake it till you make it

• Just to update you guys. Today I received my Onnit package (thanks to super delayed International shipping), and I've gone ahead and tested the Vanilla flavour with some coffee and Strawberry with green tea.....and I gotta say, it's actually pretty damn tasty. Putting the cost aside, it actually makes for an interesting cup of coffee/tea. 

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

This has always been in the back of my mind. I've heard Dave talk about c8's and Lauric acid.. But I've never actually researched what the difference is.

I got this more for convenience of getting in some fat at the office (with my coffee) before I get to lunch. I still have my regular BP coffee at home

EDIT:

Looks like majority of it is c8
    https://d1mw810az0fgpz.cloudfront.net/images/product-page/ingredients/emulsified-mct-oil.png?20160425:14:04:41

Normal MCT oil has about 50 to 60% C8 and 30 to 40% C10. The remainder made up of C6 and C12.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm wondering more and more whether there's any real benefit to Mct oil besides inducing ketosis in people who are trying to achieve that state. It's always hyped as something that increases fat burning, but it IS a fat, so doesn't that pretty much cancel itself out? Then there's the claims of "cognitive enhancement", but I am not sure if I've experienced anything like that that I can't attribute to placebo effect. I've taken a break from it for the past week or so, no "brain fog" (dun dun dunnnnnn!...cue twilight zone theme).

Almost everyone here takes Mct oil every day I'm guessing, anyone have any strong reasoning why?

Antibacterial. But yeah, mainly it's just supplemental ketones, not that useful other than inducing ketosis.

But, in my opinion, that has real benefits and shouldn't be dismissed. If you want to fast for X days occasionally for anti-cancer purposes, supplemental ketones during the start could make the transition a lot less crappy. A small boost of ketones in the morning may help with smooth energy if you're not eating carbs at breakfast, and possibly might bring down blood glucose (mine tends to be lower a few hours after bulletproof coffee than when I wake, but I don't have enough data to clearly attribute it to MCT vs. just continuing my carb fast for more hours since dinner.) And speeding ketosis using fat might not increase burning of body fat immediately, but once the supplemented fats have been burned for energy, being deeper in ketosis seems to make it easier for me to burn body fat. I don't get obvious cognitive enhancements either, but some people clearly do. Especially if they have brain glucose metabolism issues.