Weird Ketosis Symptoms

Hey everyone! 

After being paleo for 2 years I decided that going keto with super high fat and low carbs might resolve some issues still lingering around for me. I have ben following Dave's ketosis recommendations, yet experience some weird side effects. 

I am only a week and a half in, and I know that the early stages of keto can cause some funky stuff for people. But recently my lips, throat and tongue become SUPER itchy when I eat. My lips swell up and feel really tingly, and the roof of my mouth itches all the time. Along with that, I have dry mouth and low energy.

Anyone know what all of this could be due to?? Especially the mouth thing. I know energy levels can be due to a lack in potassium, magnesium, electrolytes or amino acids. But I have no idea what could be causing this weird mouth stuff

Thanks!!!

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
  • That is definitely interesting! I am staying super low carb. Maybe I should increase it a little.

• CallenCallen
    edited April 2016

That happened after having consumed zero carbs for 2 years. OP is talking about merely a week in. Also, he makes no mention of 'no carbs'. Rather, he said 'low carb'.

Even Dave says that long-term ketosis is bad for you (so he recommends refeeding). One week is not long-term, by any means.

• That is an unusual symptom - the way you describe it, it sounds a little like dehydration though - which is common.

Are you taking electrolytes and sufficient water to compensate for the usual water loss when you start keto?

If not, try taking some "Real Salt" in water as you drink throughout the day and up your intake of water.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• When you say electrolytes, what other way can you get them other than in the form of salt? I feel like I take a lot of salt. Also, I do experience dry mouth often so I know I have lost a lot of water weight. 

• That is an unusual symptom - the way you describe it, it sounds a little like dehydration though - which is common.

Are you taking electrolytes and sufficient water to compensate for the usual water loss when you start keto?

If not, try taking some "Real Salt" in water as you drink throughout the day and up your intake of water.

Yeah, the keto community mentions taking Himalayan/Real Salt to combat the "Keto Flu." That's what helped me overcome it.

• When you say electrolytes, what other way can you get them other than in the form of salt? I feel like I take a lot of salt. Also, I do experience dry mouth often so I know I have lost a lot of water weight. 

You might have to supplement directly with things like calcium carbonate, potassium gluconate, and magnesium glycinate etc.

My 2 cents, your body might be having trouble handling all of the acetone you're producing through ketosis. Your body rids itself of acetone through the breath, and dry mouth is a symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis. Just a thought.