Sunburn/skin Health

I get sunburned pretty easily, and am just starting the bulletproof diet. I recall Dave saying not to use sunscreen in his video, because with proper vitamins you shouldn't get sunburned. Which vitamin in particular was he speaking of? Was it vitamin D? I was going to take a supplement for that particular vitamin to make sure I don't get sunburned. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Comments

• Well I'm not sure about other vitamins to help with sunburn prevention specifically, but I used to have to wear 100+ SPF and reapply every hour or so when I would go golfing,

but since I started supplementing with Vit D (At Daves advised dose of 1,000 IU per lb bodyweight) I have been able to go golfing without any sunscreen and only get a very mild burn that was gone in a day.
  • If you find you really need a sunscreen look for one with titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide, minerals which work by reflecting sunlight.
  • Alright thanks, I have noticed after just a month... of eating BP and taking my vitamins that sun exposure is not near as extreme as it used to be on my skin. I used to get sunburned for just an hour or two of direct sun that would last for a week, but now my karate class meets outside twice a week for two hours and I get red, but next day it is gone. I guess my body can just heal itself a lot better now than it used to could when I was eating nasty foods? I am curious still on any biohacks of getting darker to not get burned int he first place? Anyhow, thanks for the info! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • not sunscreen, get a "flap hat" or "sun hat" from Amazon or dicks sporting goods. Sunscreen does not feel good on your skin, and is not good for you.

Coffee's caffeine helps the cells move faster to kill bad cells.
  • Do you guys think that ozone layer depletion in local areas should be a concern before recommending going without sunscreen?

Skin cancer is a fairly significant concern for aussies! According to google, 2/3 of us get skin cancer by the time we hit 70 years. Is this a media blowup or should we be acting in moderation before we start hitting the vitamin D and cruising around in the sun? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • edited August 2013

So interesting observation. I got accidentally sunburned yesterday, laying out in my back yard, and as I mentioned, I am predisposed to burning. I accidentally fell asleep and my phone, which was supposed to remind me in 10 or 20 minutes to go inside, was set for am instead of pm! -.- I woke up an hour later feeling like my skin had shrunk in size and was stretched so tight trying to cover my body. After reading the Bulletproof intern's note about MCT and scar tissue, I decided I was desperate for anything. So I applyed MCT oil to the sunburn and let it soak for about 30 minutes and then took a cool but not cold ice water bath. When I got out I put a little bit more MCT oil and went about my night and woke up this morning to find all the pain gone, and the sunburn faded into a tan. (I never ever tan after sunburns. Ever. so I am positive it was the MCT oil) Glad I dodged a bullet and I will have to be a lot more careful, but I thought this would be helpful if anyone did get sunburned. MCT oil and cold baths are the way to go! MCT oil never ceases to amaze me :D

• Let us know if the tan is still there in a couple days and hasn't peeled off!!!

haha image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Being an aussie i have a lot of experience with suburn image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • ah yeah, I put more MCT oil on the next day and it still hasn't peeled off four days later. I am still tanning now that it has healed, and if I notice any redness I go ahead and put a little coconut oil on it (since it is cheaper). I figure I will save the MCT oil for the legit sunburns image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I think the MCT oil and the cold ice bath both helped signifigantly. I dont know if just the MCT oil would work for really bad sunburns. The cold ice bath helped a ton.
  • Vitamin D helps a lot, but you also need vitamin A and to eat a lot of saturated fat.
  • 'Trevor wrote:

Well I'm not sure about other vitamins to help with sunburn prevention specifically, but I used to have to wear 100+ SPF and reapply every hour or so when I would go golfing,

but since I started supplementing with Vit D (At Daves advised dose of 1,000 IU per lb bodyweight) I have been able to go golfing without any sunscreen and only get a very mild burn that was gone in a day.

Hi,

A possibility of typing error?

1,000 IU of D3 / 25 lbs of body weight?
  • http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/bugsunprotection.html

Great website for nontoxic skin products - no parabens, handmade, top of the line stuff for a quarter of the price youd pay for an equal amount in a department store. Its the only place I buy skincare products anymore. The Devita Sunblock is a little pricey but it works. Also, Coastal Scents sells raw zinc oxide and other cosmetic filler powders that can be mixed with your own lotion to create a custom sunblock.
  • I used to burn very easily even since starting to eat bulletproof. However, in the last month my resistance to sunburn has increased a huge amount. Over the weekend I was in direct sunlight for about 4 hours in the early afternoon. Normally this would have caused a bad sunburn but I found that I didn't burn at all.

The only significant change in diet or supplementation in the last month is that I started taking 1/2 tsp of fermented cod liver oil each day. Fermented cod liver oil has a lot of vitamin A that's much more bioavailable that the vegetable sources found in most supplements.
  • I suggest taking pieces of advice from your doctors. Even internal medicine doctors can advise you! My cousin, Lea, once felt like she was burning her skin fastly. The sunscreen lotion she was using didn't fit well with her condition. When she seeked for advice, eventually, everything went well.
  • Another wonderful treatment for sunburn is coconut oil! I "healed" a sunburn in about 4 days with 2x daily application of co, never peeled. I was burned on my shoulders and upper back after less than an hour w/out sunscreen. Usually I just avoid the sun during mid-day, but that time I just spaced out. Worked much better than aloe, and feels better, too.
    Today is my day to be the woman I've always dreamed of being.
  • It is better to use a broad spectrum sunscreen to safeguard against both Ultraviolet radiation. It is advisable to use waterproof preparations if one plans to engage in water-based activities. Modern sunscreens contain filters for UVA radiation in addition to UVB.
  • +1 for coconut oil as a sunscreen, skin moisturiser and hair moisturiser/shaping product.
  • Well I'm not sure about other vitamins to help with sunburn prevention specifically, but I used to have to wear 100+ SPF and reapply every hour or so when I would go football.! but I was not shown to be effective.

image/icon_mad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mad:' />
    Note : Friv is TOP flash in online games, it's good for people tired after work.
  • When I take plenty of beta carotene (no fear of Vit. A overload), it prevents my skin from burning. Canthaxanthin helps as well.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    In an episode of the Random Show, Tim Ferriss talks about Astaxanthin as something to prevent sunburn.
  • Great call on the Astaxanthin. Dr. Mercola talks about it as well.
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

interesting thread. What if I'm at the pool for a few hours, should I risk going without suncream now I'm on a supplemented BPD?

Sounds risky to me :-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• There is a swedish app for the iphone from the Swedish government called "Min Soltid" (my sun exposure), its pretty cool. You type in different parameters if the automatic ones isnt enough and it calculates healthy sun exposure. Maybe there is one similar in english?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

There is a swedish app for the iphone from the Swedish government called "Min Soltid" (my sun exposure), its pretty cool. You type in different parameters if the automatic ones isnt enough and it calculates healthy sun exposure. Maybe there is one similar in english?

I take it that one I'd need to understand swedish to use :-(

I'll check out itunes and see if there's anything on there.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Ok, found Wolfram Sun Exposure Reference App on iTunes. Looks like the sort of thing you were talking about.

Have a look and tell us what you think.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Yeah seams similar to the one I use. Try the swedish one; its pretty simple; maybe you will figure it out even if you don't know Swedish. And its free btw; thank god for socalism :)
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Forked out a massive 69p and bought the wolfram one.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Most of the time during holidays while we are on beach we take sun burn but that is not good as we never know the sun raise speed and quantity. So I thought it would be helpful to go over some do’s and don’t s of treating sunburns.

• I use Melanotan,an injectable peptide that increases melanin production in the skin. Developed in 1989 @ the University of Arizona. Prevents sunburn and gives a nice even tan year round.

Nothing is true...All is permitted

• I looked up Melanotan (II)and it appears to be illegal in Canada.  The idea of injecting it into myself also sounds lousy.  Every summer I like the idea of looking tanned but having the sun age me and burn me sounds lousy.  This Melanotan if it was not injection based sounds alright.  I think the government's (US and Canada)idea of what is and is not safe is flawed.  In the little amount of research I did it does not prevent burns many say btw.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Not sure about the whole needle thing. How often do you have to inject and how much.

HOW BIG is the Needle ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter