No Progress...need Help

Hi BP Friends,

I am new to the BP Forum and excited to be a member. There is excellent information on this site, and I have found members to be generous with their time and knowledge. I need some help and would like to humbly request your advice.

My stats:

Female, Age 43

5'3" and 125.8 lbs and 23.9% body fat (hydostatic tank)

Exercise routine consists of:

Three 1-hr full-body workouts (50/50 split cardio/weight training) - 2 days at 12 noon and 1 day at 6 pm

One 1-hr Pilates Reformer class at 6 pm

BP Diet History:

I have completed 5 full weeks of 100% Bulletproof with intermittent fasting. I am not protein fasting. I had one cheat day on Mother's Day.

First 2 weeks I lost 5 lbs. The next 2 weeks I gained it back, and this last week I maintained. Needless to say I am frustrated as I have been 99% strict with my diet and expected the fat to melt off.

I've attached an image which depicts a typical meal day for me. Calories are very high. One thing I liked about the BP diet is that you don't have to count calories. But, I am starting to think that I will continue to actually gain weight if I keep consuming this amount of calories. For the past 5 weeks, I followed the plan, including not counting calories and eating unlimited BP for 6-8 hours a day.

Here are my thoughts about the potential cause for the issues:

1) I am consuming too many calories.

2) Maybe this program doesn't work as well with women or if you only have 5 pounds to lose?

3) I'm not eating enough vegetables.

4) I need to protein fast 1 day a week.

5) I am not drinking enough water.

I thank you all in advance for your feedback.

Tagged:

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    1) I am consuming too many calories... > Yes

4) I need to protein fast 1 day a week... > No

fake it till you make it

• Hmm

Well, first off, you're taking in waay too many carbs.

Drop the berries and keep them for your weekend treat day.

The breakfast looks decent. You may want to drop the whey as it can cause an insulin spike. (Whey stalls weight loss for me and some of my clients)

Lunch. I'm curious why the chicken logs in with such high carbs? Do you have the ingredients? There may be some sneaky sugars here.

The metamucil may have something in there as well. Post the ingredients and we'll take a look.

Have you got some way to measure ketones? Ketostix, Blood meter, ketonix?

You also MAY be working out too much, but Let's clean up the diet first. Don't worry about the calories. I just scanned through the carbs and sugars on your chart.

• Check this out: http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com/2011/04/12/golden-rule-slow-carb-fat-loss-the-right-amount-of-exercise/

Also look up Obama arms in four hour body and look through the results of the ladies there-in and how they did it. Every library has a few copies now. (You may be able to find a posting of the audio book on youtube. It's not TIm reading, and he didn't even authorize it but a lot of the goodies are there)

While the sugars that you're taking in are probably better than twinkles and candy bars, they still spike insulin. I would try skipping them for 6 days and see what happens.

Also, take body measurements with a measuring tape instead of using the scale. Read the mentioned chapter above and there are some good examples of this.

• Watch this video:

It goes through  a ton of information and is targeted towards women.

• phantasmphantasm
    edited May 2016

I lost 60lbs on low carb while nothing else worked. Same with Dave Asprey and countless others.

Just about every bulletproof podcast Dave mentions that he was 300lbs, working out like crazy and nothing helped till he dropped the carbs and upped the fat.  There is tons of evidence supporting this.

Triathlete Ben Greenfield does great on low carb, as do many many others.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    i think Ampo is only trying to lose 5 pounds (of fat)... is that right Ampo ? what are your body composition goals

fake it till you make it

• steve001steve001
    edited May 2016

Her carbs are pretty low, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference if she dropped it even further. There is other ways to loose fat storage. From observational perspective it seems to be women have a harder time loosing fat storage on high fat diets. I would bet that if Ampo dropped her fat intake in half, and upped her protein intake like Jason suggested. She would start loosing weight. Im willing to bet on this.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I lost 60lbs on low carb while nothing else worked. Same with Dave Asprey and countless others.

Just about every bulletproof podcast Dave mentions that he was 300lbs, working out like crazy and nothing helped till he dropped the carbs and upped the fat.  There is tons of evidence supporting this.

Triathlete Ben Greenfield does great on low carb, as do many many others.

To be fair, eating less carbohydrates and more fats was not all he did. It was part of a complete lifestyle overhaul.

• To be fair, eating less carbohydrates and more fats was not all he did. It was part of a complete lifestyle overhaul.

This is true, but dropping the carbs and going into ketosis eating 4000cal in butter a day for 2 years, with no exercise did play a big part.

• Hi Ampo,

Neither of us are a female in their forties. Although I have helped numerous clients in this demographic, I find that science stops with comments like "that article is hilarious" ... etc. Even Dave comments on his podcasts "well, that doesn't make sense ... so it can't be. Comments like these are unscientific and more like dogma" (paraphrasing as Dave says something like this in a lot of podcasts.

That all being said, I'd recommend going to Body.io where they have a specific section just devoted to women, by women called Her Body.

You can click on the menu button and filter for female. Articles by Andrea Jengle, Alex Navarro are great, and you can even email them directly. They focus on female health and exercise instead of neck width.

I'm not affiliated with them, but it's a great resource that meshes with Bulletproof easily.

Also, Daz makes a good point. You say that you're are 125.8 lbs and 23.9% body fat, what are your goals? 5lbs loss, lower BMI?

I'd also listen to Podcast #149 - Nina Teicholz which is full of a lot of good information.

Good luck, and experiment.

• Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm so impressed with this community.

You are correct that it is 5 lbs. of body fat that I want to lose. But, I also wanted to benefit from the renewed energy and focus that Dave talks about. I haven't felt either.

My RMR is 1427 (per the hydrostatic body fat tank) On Tuesday of this week (immediately after my first post) I started logging all of my food intake into MyFitnessPal. MFP placed me on a daily 1200 calorie plan, 1800 on workout days. Is this effective if it is under my RMR of 1427?

Regarding trying the plan of eating more protein and less fat, how would this effect my ability to burn fat as my source of energy? Would I have enough fat? I'm perfectly fine ditching the 130 calorie brain octane and the butter if it's doing more harm than good.

I have read 4 hour body, and I also tried the plan a couple of times. I got sick of eating beans with every meal. In fact, I cannot even eat black beans anymore. :-)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if the revised version of BPD in some years would state that yeah, calories do matter after all, and replacing every other nutrient with fat won't solve all problems after all.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Where are the veggies? :-D Your meal plan is missing 10 servings of green side veggies! And dont eat fried foods please. its just bad for you.

You can easily eat 500 grams of vegetables with every meal except breakfast. (because thats BPC) ;)

• I wouldn't be surprised if the revised version of BPD in some years would state that yeah, calories do matter after all, and replacing every other nutrient with fat won't solve all problems after all.

right? although i almost think that the suggestions are doing exactly what they're intended to do, keep people just confused enough to keep coming back for the one hack that will make it all fall in to place, keep inventing new "problems" to solve. i mean, occasionally we get a post from someone who is like "oh i lost a ton of fat! my brain fog is gone!", but those posts are few and far between. We get a lot more "why isn't this working?!". Meanwhile, just out of curiosity i started following the Intermittent Fasting group on facebook, which is filled with before/after success photos every day...and it's pretty commonly pointed out that these folks are losing weight not because of the magic of fasting or low carb, but because its a simple way for some folks to get into a DEFICIT. You can point out the caveats of calorie tracking all you want, but it's still effective and probably the most effective thing you can track if body composition is something you're trying to change. 

...or maybe we all just need MOOOOARRR BUTTERRRRRRRR!! Butter gives you abs right? 

• I think I'll follow the Intermittent Fasting group on Facebook as well...