Best Way To Improve Posture

I'm looking for ways to improve my posture, likely through bodywork. I'm interested in Rolfing (have never done it), Feldenkrais (have done one session), etc. I'm curious as to what the best way is to correct structural imbalances and have an overall healthy posture. Any suggestions?

Comments

• You haven't really given much of a starting point for advice to come from, not even including your career type. Most of your posture work is going to be fighting bad habits formed in your 40-50 hours at the workstation. Chefs have very different posture problems to desk jockeys.

My guru recommendation is Kelley Starret, check him out on youtube, or pay him for his efforts and kindness at mobilitywod.com

• Yeah, I should probably spell this out more huh? :) I am a knowledge worker and my work time is fairly evenly split between computer work (sometimes at a pretty ergonomic setup, other times not so much) and sitting in meetings. The things I've noticed (or have been told) about my posture are an overly forward head posture and an anterior pelvic tilt. I'm sure there is more going on.

I will check out Kelley Starret. Would love any other recommendations.

• If you can afford it as along term investment and can find a good Alexander Technique teacher near by I would seriously consider looking into having some lessons. It is something you can practise for the rest of your life and you certainly won't make your posture any worse. I haven't tried Feldenkrais but I have tried Rolfing (which was ok but not as profound as I had expected).
  • I'm a Rolfer so I may be biased. But from what I know, Rolfing is the best way to upgrade your posture. If you're serious about it definitely do at least the 10 series. Of course, there's other things that can be helpful and supportive too, but Rolfing will really make some deep structural shifts and growth. 

• Thanks Jed. I'm going to give Alexander a shot next but I've heard some awesome stuff about Rolfing as well. I'm pretty sure I'll dive in on that at some point this year.

• Feldenkrais is my number one recommendation.  Best to find a good practitioner and get a one on one functional integration session.  This is several times more powerful than any group lesson or something you can do at home.  Though I recommend downloading some free audio lessons and doing them at home.

It's all about teaching your nervous system how to relax and for you to realise your full range of motion.

Check out my blog: www.electrichealth.me

• Hi there -- I would recommend checking out Hanna Somatics.  It's in the tradition of Alexander Technique and Feldenkrais.  Thomas Hanna learned from the latter and built upon those teachings.  Very powerful and self-directed movement awareness technique.  Your somatic intelligence will increase exponentially.  It got me out of a really, really bad place I was in years ago posture and alignment-wise.  Good luck!

Michael

---

Tweet me: @michaelpaone
    Facebook me: /mpaone12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file