Gaining Weight And Fat

Been eating a paleo/primal diet for about 2 years. Never really counted calories or restricted carbs but did occasionally track food for a few days at different times I would average about 2200-2500 cals. Around 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein, and 15-20% carbs (mainly from sweet potatoes and a piece of fruit).I mountain bike or road cycle 3-4 days a week totaling around 4-5 hours. My weight has been fairly steady at 170-173lbs and 9-11% fat. I started BP coffee and IF about 8 weeks ago using 2 tbsp of grass fed butter and 2 tbsp of XCT oil in the am and not eating again till after lunch. For the first 4 weeks both my weight and fat has been trending upwards...so I figured maybe with my activity level I should add collagen protein to my coffee. I've been adding 2 tbsp per morning. Still my weight and fat has been trending up the last 4 weeks I'm at about 173-176 and 12-14% fat. I tracked may food and my total calories to see where I was coming in at. Counting the BP coffee, my macros and calories are consistent to prior to starting this regimen. Anyone have any thoughts? I really like how the BP coffee makes me feel and the fact that I feel satiated till after lunch....but not at the price of fat/weight gain.

Comments

• I say forget the bulletproof coffee. Weight steady people, especially with the kind of body fat you are at, have no need for bulletproof coffee. What are you looking to do, boomerang into half-assed ketosis and go back to potatoes and fruits? 

If I were you, I'd keep biking and feeling your best, which doesn't always involve bulletproof coffee, believe it or not. 

• Thanks for the reply. I really didn't have any goals when starting BP coffee, other than I heard a lot of people praising it and figured I'd give it a go. I did notice a huge increase in focus, but that's about it. Plus I think it tastes great, kind of addicting. Also, I was looking for something a little easier to make than my usual 2 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, half of sweet potatoe, and brussel sprout hash that I've been eating religiously for breakfast for about a year......although it does taste good too!
  • gnoobergnoober
    edited May 2016

I would try cutting all carbs for 5-6 days per week. if you want nutrition, you dont have any room for starch anyways. eat veggies. limit fruit to 1 piece every other day and eat more green side veggies.

If you are doing BPIF, make sure you are fasting for at least 15 and at most 18 hours. So last bite of food at 8PM and lunch between 11 AM and 2 PM (2PM is better).

If you are adding collagen to your coffee, you are NOT fasting.

Also make sure you eat enough primal food in the remaining hours between 2PM and 8PM.

It's a curious case with you so I would be very interested in seeing what happens once you kill off the carbs :) You dont need them anyways.

In one of the last podcasts dave did, they talked about athletes being better performers without the carbs. :)

It's good to do IF a few days per week, just for longevity's sake so stay with it for a while ;)

• I'm gonna side with Percy here. I did BPIFing for a couple years and didn't get super fat or anything, but did get a little heavier and softer. I still mix a bit of fat in my coffee after breakfast, but just a tsp of ghee and/or coconut oil. I suspect that drinking lots of pure fat isn't something everyone is adapted to or going to add any years to your life.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

I'm gonna side with Percy here. I did BPIFing for a couple years and didn't get super fat or anything, but did get a little heavier and softer. I still mix a bit of fat in my coffee after breakfast, but just a tsp of ghee and/or coconut oil. I suspect that drinking lots of pure fat isn't something everyone is adapted to or going to add any years to your life.

Same thing happened to me with BPIF, I got heavier and softer. :( Been going without BPC for quite some time now. OP, I think shifting your macros to less fat and more protein and carbs could help. Did you add BPC to your normal amount of calories, or reduced elsewhere, I see you replaced normal breakfast with it, so you may have stayed at the same amount of kcal. 

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks for the replies. Yes, my calories stayed about the same...that is counting the 450 or so I was getting from BPC.