Protein Fasting - 15G Sample Days

gnoobergnoober
edited May 2016 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hey guys,

I went through the trouble and catalogued all I ate on one protein fasting day, at least all containing protein.

So you may use this as a starter to plan your meals. The devil is in the detail. Veggies contain sooo much protein...

• Avocados, raw, California 156g
  • Carrots, raw 174g
  • Cucumber, with peel, raw 106g
  • Kohlrabi, raw 129g

-> this made the lunch - veggie sticks with guacamole.

• Sweet potato, raw 380g - this made some 170g once baked.

-> Dinner. - baked Sweet Potato fries

• Strawberries, fresh 272g

-> Dessert. With some buttercream (made from butter, coconut milk and xylitol) on top. mmmh.

Total protein: 15.3g

No dice at reaching enough calories that day. Just taking my supplements and waiting for the next day is the only option. :grin:

what are your protein fasting days made up of? Do you stick to the 15 grams?
Tagged:

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Fast or Eat is my view.

I can't see the point of restricting protein if you are eating carbs. It can't be promoting autophagy, so what is the benefit (or benefits).

fake it till you make it

• Excuse me, but what are you using as your resource for the number of gms of protein in the vegetables? Mine says an avocado contains 1.9gms protein, carrots .6gms per 100gm, cukes 0.59gms per 100gm.

• @reluctantexan: Hey, my resource is cronometer.com - and it is quite in alignment with your data. why are you asking?

@daz: oh is that true? I have never heard of carbs blocking autophagy and neither has dave, it seems. where do you get that information?

edited September 2016

@daz: oh is that true? I have never heard of carbs blocking autophagy and neither has dave, it seems. where do you get that information?

...only if the carbs result in an increase in insulin (above baseline/fasting levels I presume)...

Raising insulin will activate/stimulate mtor, which in turn will inhibit/stop autophagy.

I'll dig up some studies/refs later & post them up,
     When I do, have a look at them & see if you agree/disagree...etc

Edit: here a few insulin/mtor/autophagy related refs. see what you think & comment back...

- pubmed: Insulin signalling to mTOR mediated by the Akt/PKB substrate PRAS40

- pubmed: Amino acid regulation of TOR complex 1

- the wiki on mTORC1 also mentions autophagy and insulin. tho i have not looked at it in depth, or any of its refs.

- & not sure what to make of this one from cell(dot)com: mTOR Interacts with Raptor to Form a Nutrient-Sensitive Complex that Signals to the Cell Growth Machinery. Search for 'insulin'.

fake it till you make it

• But, fasting wouldn't be complicated enough, way too simple to be considered a "hack". It's 2016 bro, get with the cutting edge biohacking movement! Tracking calories is so 20th century, it's all about counting the fractions of grams of proteins in vegetables!
  • @daz: thanks I just found your reply, will read it today :) excited!

@therest:

A little cynical, are you?

I actually have a genetic condition where autophagy might just be my golden ticket,

at least thats what my last 2 doc' appointments&tests seem to indicate.

So as anyone else might just do it for novelty, I actually have high hopes for extending my Life with it. :)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@daz: thanks I just found your reply, will read it today :) excited!

@therest:

A little cynical, are you?

I actually have a genetic condition where autophagy might just be my golden ticket,

at least thats what my last 2 doc' appointments&tests seem to indicate.

So as anyone else might just do it for novelty, I actually have high hopes for extending my Life with it. :)

If it is this important to you, you shouldn't take any chances. Still lots of unexplained factors. Why not just take a full fasting day to be 100% certain? 

I also suggest not to take any supplements that day. Antioxidants tend to prevent autophagy. Not sure which ones and how but if you make such an effort to limit your protein intake, doing a full fast is not such a huge added effort, and it could make a big difference.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks for the heads up on the Antioxidants.

If it is the only way I will switch over to doing a full fast-

since I plan on doing this for many years, I have to find a variant thats sustainable long term, also in terms of willpower. :-D

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
    edited September 2016

This thread had no less than 4 regulars on the Bulletproof Forum come in and second guess the autophagy approach altogether, which is what protein fasting days are trying to promote. Protein fasting days are supposed to happen at least once a week, according to the book and the Bulletproof roadmap.

This is the Bulletproof Forum.

I would expect people to approach this post with the baseline that Dave's suggested path to autophagy is actually a useful hack, not by encouraging someone to just not eat, which is not Bulletproof. The point of autophagy is to get the benefits of fasting without a lot of its downsides, of which there are many. In other words, I think it would be better to just answer this guy's question—which no one did. This thread is pretty useless as a result, except for the OP's advice. 

Why don't moderators come in and make sure these insulting diversions from the OP's topic don't take place? I can see a little sidetrack here and there, but 4 people basically made fun of autophagy, b/c I guess there's a faction on the forums that thinks these essential elements of the Bulletproof Diet are just DAF.

Also, the text was corrupted, for some reason, on the original post and many replies. Mine seems to have a random string of characters inserted between every 10 letters. And it looks like this:

I went through the trouble and catalogued all ite'>I ate on one proteite'>in fastite'>ing day, at least all contaite'>inite'>ing proteite'>in.

So you may use thite'>is as a starter to plan your meals. The devite'>il ite'>is ite'>in the detaite'>il. Veggite'>ies contaite'>in sooo much proteite'>in...

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

You guys being grumpy again? Feels like home...

So if you don't eat any amino acids your body will start eating itself. Starting from whats floating around between cells and stuff, then it will start eating the broken and inflamed cells, then it will start eating your muscles. You need to do that kind of restriction for several days though and you will start feeling crappy. At least I do. The no protein diet is not sustainable but there have been trials to show that it does lower inflammation. Don't ask me for sources. I looked into that like two years ago...

Here is a recipe:

For lunch and dinner:

Brokkoli, Spinach, spices like mustard, brown algae, salt and yes evil garlic, ginger, vinegar, calcium, olive oil.

Take Veggies and spices, cook for 20 minutes, then blend. You can add fat, water or nothing. Makes it either more creamy or more soup like...

Take garlic and ginger and put into a second pan for a short time just to get some not so bulletproof roasting aroma. Add to you puree. 

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

You guys being grumpy again? Feels like home...

So if you don't eat any amino acids your body will start eating itself. Starting from whats floating around between cells and stuff, then it will start eating the broken and inflamed cells, then it will start eating your muscles. You need to do that kind of restriction for several days though and you will start feeling crappy. At least I do. The no protein diet is not sustainable but there have been trials to show that it does lower inflammation. Don't ask me for sources. I looked into that like two years ago...

Here is a recipe:

For lunch and dinner:

Brokkoli, Spinach, spices like mustard, brown algae, salt and yes evil garlic, ginger, vinegar, calcium, olive oil.

Take Veggies and spices, cook for 20 minutes, then blend. You can add fat, water or nothing. Makes it either more creamy or more soup like...

Take garlic and ginger and put into a second pan for a short time just to get some not so bulletproof roasting aroma. Add to you puree. 

It should take 18 hours for autophagy to kick in (after your last protein meal is digested). Most BP people do it for about 44 hours, because they BP intermittent fast the day after their autophagy day. 

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/what-is-protein-fasting-bulletproof-diet/

edited September 2016

what are your protein fasting days made up of? Do you stick to the 15 grams?

^ this is the OP's question.

& you are correct MLS, no one has answered this, including yourself I note.

Personally I am not in a position to answer this particular query (as I do not do protein fasting).

& my bad for butting in first.

I think I was hoping that the studies I linked would be discussed as to why they did not apply in this context...perhaps even by the man himself D.A.

fake it till you make it

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

well I just eat no proteins. I do not care about the aminos in the veggies.

MLS: By autophagy kicking in you mean it starts not it is done doing its job right?

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I did it a few times and stuck to the 15 grams. Tracked with myfitnesspal. If I feel compelled to dabble in fasting again I'll just do a real fast.